We finally got knocked off of 5*

I get that as mine is 125 yrs. old. I put down that it is old and not perfect - floors may groan, walls are not straight, windows may whistle in the wind. (or something like that)

2 Likes

I do all that. I have one particular demographic of guests that are expecting new built old style…they don’t like old built old - even though the build date is clearly mentioned in the title, and that it is Victorian.

2 Likes

Well then, they oughta go to Disneyland. I blame HGTV for these silly expectations.

5 Likes

Agreed - if they want a faux experience - please go elsewhere!

3 Likes

I just found our competition!! Its sea view, note the price!!
This is not the “Malibu Dream Airstream”, that was farther north and burned up in the Woolsey fire. Looks quite like it, though, copycatters.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/41355061?source_impression_id=p3_1598304010_DdLrQnqYniN%2BDgM0

Ours is Tiny Tiki Retro Hideaway…
p/s we used to live right near this place!

The setting, deck, view is very nice! but it has less of a vintage Airstream feel; it’s more like a auxiliary structure that they used an airstream for.

Architecturally, I’m not a fan; My feeling is if you’re going to use an airstream don’t chop off the sides to install glass sliding doors; Either build a luxury unit or place a prefab structure.

Incongruous is the best word to describe my feelings about it.

So if you want Airstream you go with Tiny Tiki RETRO Hideaway!

5 Likes

Thanks HH!AZ
I’m not saying it looks so great, just THE PRICE dammit. It must be the presence of the piano, tipi, movie area or the massage area that makes guests think of paying so much more=ok! It is the
Airstream that is the draw for most lookers… a “pre-fab tiny home” just doesn’t quite compare.

It’s very true trailer purists, ( Spartan owners) would never put a slider onto a trailer. Even when done beautifully, its a no-no. But if a trailer is headed for the scrapper, of course do what suits your needs!

1 Like

Looks cool to me, I think they’ve done a decent job. Happily chill there for a bit, if it was several thousand kilometres to the east!

JF

Yeah I think I’ll just drop 2-3 grand for the purpose of delight for a few days… versus 500 bucks here…

For some folks, quite often the price is not the primary factor when booking a few days away.

JF

1 Like

That price is indeed quite amazing. But then, on the other hand, it is in Malibu (or near Malibu) on a 12 acre piece of land. So I guess it’s the location that impacts the price the most.

The photos are pretty amazing too.

Checking the Internet where to buy an Airstream nearby

But I’m left wondering who keeps the piano tuned. I can imagine a review along the lines of:-

“Booked this place for a romantic getaway with my partner who is a professional pianist. Our whole trip was ruined by the piano being left un-tuned. Never again.”

or

“Our trip was ruined by my boyfriend being unable to hear that the piano was out of tune, but insisting on spending hours playing badly.”

3 Likes

Yes the photos are very nice! Doesn’t really show how far thepotty is from the trailer…

Just remember we are not looking at a small price difference here. Although they may have started out cheaper, (Malibu dream was up to 495 a night before the fire)850+ per night is not something most folks are ready to choke down… or am I underestimating the desire for this?? Because Tiny Tiki is so much like it and less than 1/4 the price!!!

The piano has got to be a banger… they must have weather covers for all this stuff. We do, and its hard to keep it all from over-exposure. And I think the land use size is closer to 2 acres, there is probably a mansion on the same land too.

Also fyi btw Airstreams are wanna be Spartans, not the other way around!!

I think so. Their calendar is pretty full over the next couple of months, so it shows there is a demand for what the host is offering. You keep slagging it off, but he’s laughing all the way to the bank :moneybag:

JF

2 Likes

Yes, I’m thinking I could double my prices??? Need help here! Oct is pretty open, and beautiful if no wildfires…

I just raised the prices

If you have a unique(ish) product then pricing can be an issue. Why not simply double the rate for a bit, see what happens.

It may actually transpire that you’ve been underpricing from the start. While our product is by no stretch unique, in the early days we definitely sold ourselves short as we had a few USP’s that similar listing don’t have. We learned.

JF

1 Like

We are in a very similar situation: only now, partially due to COVID, do we realise that we undercharged for at least two years prior to COVID. Our strategy was initially to be very competitively priced and it would be quite rare if we weren’t in the top ten cheapest places in our city. And I don’t mean top ten percent I literally mean we would be the tenth cheapest places of all places available. COVID has thrown a spanner in the works and we had to rethink our strategy a bit but this has also lead to the realisation that aiming to be soooo cheap is not exactly a very good strategy and we now book much closer to the median price or above. What hastened this realisation is that people book much closer to their check-in date so we just need to stand firm for a lot longer than we are used to. But yes, similar to @JohnF, we too underpriced from the start and we only are realising this now, more than two years after we started.

I raised the prices about 60 bucks.
We are unique, and luxurious. We were already the most expensive, except villas, in our expanded neighborhood. I wasn’t unhappy with the amount, but with MK (hubby) not working and helping with the turnovers, Tiny Tiki has to pay him, too:)

I came to the realization just now that people who usually spend thousands $ a year going abroad have nowhere to spend their dough so they search for and love a safe, nearby, unique and happy place. I wonder what specials could be provided here and if that other host is doing that through Air Experiences<>

Coward :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If I were you, which I’m obviously not, I’d prob have went for a tad more. Especially the dates a few weeks out.

I tweak our prices fairly often, and usually after I’ve bumped them up that’s when the work phone pings…

Not currently unfortunately.

JF

1 Like