Washing duvet covers between every guest?

I have three beds in my place, with a Pendleton wool blanket on the bed downstairs and quilts on the upstairs beds. I am certainly not going to be washing them, but do have other heavy cotton blankets between them and the sheets.

1 Like

There are certainly people who think that everything in the room that is on the bed should be washable and washed. Covers of throw pillows, shams, towels, any throws that are in the living room.

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d keep the Pendelton blankets out on the beds with guests. Can you get some less expensive substitutes? @CatskillsGrrl donā€™t you have Hudson Bay point blankets? If so, what has been your experience.

My advice would be to wash as much as you can. If you think of it in terms of a sick guest spreading their germs around on everything or a libidinous couple frolicking here and there, or even people sitting their bare ass on the end of the bed and on your Pendelton blanket as they get dressed in the morning, you may reconsider. Whatever you decide to do, unless you are going to wash everything from stem to stern between guests I wouldnā€™t post here about it, it just invites controversy and host shaming.

Iā€™m amused that this threadā€™s revival coincides with the return of @jaquo. Itā€™s a favorite topic of hers.

4 Likes

Thank you, I have thought about the blanket. Currently it is on the bed kind of half way, with several other cotton blankets under it and on top of the sheets. I really like the design and feel it brings the room together, but youā€™re right, it could be concerning if someone makes a mess!

I will be thinking of other alternatives in the back of my mind. This one has gone on my list!

Indeed it is! :slight_smile:

In addition to the frolicking, the germs, the bare backsides, the assorted bodily fluids etc., thereā€™s also drool. People napping on the sofa with their heads on the decorative cushions is a strong possibility. (I never thought Iā€™d turn in to the sort of person who even thought about drool but I evidently did!)

The problem with this bedding thing is that most English/ European people use duvets and wash the cover at every guest turnover. It seems to be that American hosts confuse duvets with eiderdowns, comforters or whatever-you-call-them.

Back in the last century - in the 1990s I think - many hotels switched from the old-style sheets and blankets style of bedmaking and changed to fitted sheet and duvet - in white - and the duvet covers are definitely washed after each guest.

4 Likes

And she is back!!!

4 Likes

Please wash everything which is on the bed and could possibly touch guests skin. I come from country, where we have different bed setting (two single duvets, or very rarely one big double duvet, but those are quite hard to find).
Whenever I go for vacation, where they have top sheet and some thicker layer on that (duvet, comforter or whatever) I have problem to sleep under it. I try to stay under sheet and donā€™t touch top thicker layer, because I donā€™t know how often they are washed, but I usually mix everything together during the night. Especially if we are two sleeping on one bed, one of us end up sleeping under thin sheet and the other has duvet for himself.
I once heard surprised comment from friends, when they saw it someones home. They said that they thought they have it only in hotels, so people will have bad sleep and spend night in hotel bar instead :smiley:
So please remember, that not everybody are used to your bed settings and they can use it differently, than what you intended.

1 Like

I guess this is where it can get confusing. I wouldnā€™t wash the actual feather (or synthetic) duvet every time. I wash the duvet cover.

Me too. I wash the cover after each guest (of course!) but see the duvet in the same way as pillows really - to be laundered once in a while. Although if the duvet cover shows that something has been spilled (coffee, wine etc.) then thatā€™s a good reason to wash the duvet too.

Oh yes definitely! I normally take ours down to the laundromat with the big washer-dryers. You can also buy duvet protectors like the pillow ones which are great to catch small spills.

1 Like

We triple sheet, so the duvet cover stays relatively protected. Fitted sheet, top sheet, down blanket/comforter or cotton blanket (depending on weather/season) within the cover, then a bigger top sheet over all of it that gets doubled back. We wash the duvet cover about every 3rd stay or more if necessary. The inner piece once a month or so.

My opinion of this is well known here. Thatā€™s all. :open_mouth:

How often does this get washed ??

I know your opinion, but what Iā€™m saying is that when you triple sheet the duvet cover is pretty much like the insert of the duvet cover, which I thought you said you donā€™t wash every single time?

Once a month I would say. It could be more often depending on the guests, length of stay, etc.

Oopsie, hubby does the laundry. Maybe I shouldnā€™t have commented. Heā€™s just corrected me. Weā€™re not even currently using the down insert as itā€™s too hard to wash. Heā€™s now using the poly fill insert and swaps them out every couple of weeks unless it seems more necessary.

1 Like

Not quite. The duvet cover is washed every time, even after one night stays. Obviously. The duvet itself is laundered about every two/three weeks or so. The cover comes into contact with the guestsā€™ bodies, the duvet - just like the pillows or the mattress - does not.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦I donā€™t think the duvet cover does come into contact when itā€™s been triple sheeted. It could it they take the bed apart, but we can tell when we go in to retrieve the bedding.

See this website for example: Washing duvet covers between every guest?

However, I will keep your comments in mind and maybe change our practice.

FYI Youā€™ve linked to this thread, not whatever you wanted to link to.

Besides a duvet and duvet cover, what other kind of blankets do people use and how do you deal with them? My rental is heated with a wood burning stove, and it was 7 degrees last night for example, so we need to use and provide several layers of blankets. Also, has anyone used electric blankets in their rental?

Goodness. They canā€™t even spell consistently, let alone know how to make a bed! :slight_smile:

1 Like