Vetting guests with no reviews

Is anyone willing to share questions you use to learn more about potential guests before you accept? Thanks

Unless they write it themselves, i ask to know politely about their reason of stay, cloaking it by saying that if i know what they are interested in, i can also give them suggestions/directions.

2 Likes

I would ask exactly how many people will be coming, including children. This seems to be a constant issue. I would ask if they had read the entire description and agree to the rules.

If the listing had any quirks that could invite criticism in reviews, I would make sure they fully understood them.

1 Like

It depends on what the potential guest writes in the inquiry. Why are they coming here? Name of the other person coming with them.

1 Like

I take non-reviewed users all the time, and find they are the bestā€¦they have very few expectations and nothing to compare you with so they think you are the catā€™s meow. :smile:

Usually they always tell me who they are and why they are traveling. 99.9 percent of my guests are tourists to Hawaii so sightseeing keeps them busy and gone. Ideal. :smile:

4 Likes

Unless I have reason to suspect there might be some funny business going on, I typically do not ask their reason for visiting. But thatā€™s only because I am in a tourist/vacation destination. Iā€™m sure it would be different if my location was in a major urban area.

My last guest only mentioned ā€œweekend getawayā€ in the message field. This was my reply:

"Hi XXXX,

Before I accept your booking, just a few questions:

Will there be any visitors during your stay?

Does 4 guests include any children/infants?

Also, please confirm you have read entire listing description and house rules, as I cannot cancel once I accept your booking.

Thanks!"

Works like a charm!

4 Likes

I think most of my Airbnb guests do not have reviews and appear to be first time users. It helps if they have a detailed profile. I think it is fine to ask questions - why they are visiting - who they are traveling with - and what they want to do. This is just as much about finding out about the person, and may help you give them some recommendations of places to eat - or things to do in your area. You may also determine that they are not a good fit for your property.

1 Like

That last line before the ā€œthanksā€ is key.

2 Likes

I ask them for their full name, then google it. If they arenā€™t willing to give you their full name, pass. This isnā€™t particularly useful, though occasionally something will pop up.

If it is a local person, be extra cautious. Iā€™d ask more questions in that case.

2 Likes

Oh, that is a good one, thank you @fareem from this advice. I had one guest who changed her photo from a young girl to middle aged man while she/he was making the reservation.

At this point Iā€™ve also learned that the people who make inquiries before booking, wonā€™t book. For example I had a question yesterday if we live near airport, when our listing is in the centre of the city. How many airports have you seen in the city centre? So I assume I wonā€™t be hearing from her.

1 Like

Eww. Creepy much?

Yes, in my experience, someone who makes an inquiry is relatively unlikely to book.

1 Like

Some people donā€™t even have photos. Then there are those who are so unrecognizable I donā€™t know if itā€™s the same person or not. If Iā€™d had any problems Iā€™d start asking for the ID at check in.

1 Like

thaks K9: slowly but surely Iā€™m getting wiser and wiser! Thanks to this forum Iā€™ve got the curage to say no to many requests.

2 Likes

We always ask if they have stayed in a vacation rental before (as opposed to hotel). Also ā€œeasy quiz : please tell us the two ā€˜code wordsā€™ in the listing description and the house rules sectionā€ā€¦to make sure they read it

Start asking? I just ask. I mean, itā€™s your home. You have the right.

1 Like

I just donā€™t feel the need to do so.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never asked for ID. Never a problem here.

3 Likes

I use IB but still a lot of guests send an inquiry before they book. I never ask any particular questions because I am no good at evaluating guests from their replies. If they are up to no good they are going to lie anyway :slight_smile:

To me, itā€™s a waste of my valuable time. You never know what theyā€™ll be like until they turn up - regardless of what they say.

2 Likes

How they express themselves is important to me. Anyone that starts by just saying ā€œWe want thisā€, doesnā€™t get to book because I will discourage them.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had bookings or enquires from a clock, a river, 2 dogs, a black circle, a mural of 50 or so mini pics and a shot of someones knees to feet!

4 Likes