Venting: Guest just realized there is a virus and is cancelling a four day booking for this month

Huh? I don’t even know you.

Is someone forcing you to post on this forum?

2 Likes

@Lporter247 What you will find is that most of the hosts on this forum have no illusions about Airbnb being their partner and never did. No illusions about Airbnb considering hosts to be particularly valuable. We view it solely as a listing venue and have learned how to work around their guest-centric policies as much as possible, and be realistic about what to expect from them.

This doesn’t mean we think their policies are fair, nor does it mean we don’t stand up for ourselves if we feel we’ve been dealt with in a way that contravenes their own TOS and policies. But we know what’s worth fighting and what’s just a waste of time.

And if we got to the point where Airbnb wasn’t working for us, on whatever level, we would simply leave the platform, rather than spend our time ranting on social media, because life is too short for that.

Yes, if enough hosts left Airbnb, that would get their attention, but it would have to be a massive amount of hosts. As it stands, it appears that there are enough new hosts ongoingly signing up that they can easily view us as expendable.

7 Likes

If you read through many topics originating in March on the subject of AirBNB pandemic refund policy, you’ll see there were many diverging and passionate opinions.

You won’t find that from me. I’m VERY supportive of the way the handled a worldwide pandemic. YOU agreed to the Extenuating Circumstances T&C’s from AirBNB that has been rehashed ad nauseum in other topics.

And YOU took the money that their platform provided you.

There are many discussion topics on this subject also. I won’t rehash but in summary this was a decision made more out of good PR and targeting the base of customers they want.

The one thing I agree with you is they don’t care about YOU. They would rather have hosts and customers who have an understanding of reality, have compassion, are customer centric, are open minded, and inclusive.

Thank you for your decision to leave AirBNB. You’ve made my day as I’m happy to have fewer AirBNB hosts with your views.

6 Likes

Glad to make your day snowflake❄️

I’m assuming that you’ve read the FAQ and guidelines here?

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion

Your latest post adds nothing and insults another member. Please don’t do that again.

4 Likes

Lenell, is that you?

5 Likes

You seem to be the “snowflake” here. Repetition just drives that home.

Yet another clueless snowflake.

2 Likes

Weirdly, this morning I was looking at a Wikipedia list of ethnic slurs and ‘snowflake’ was on the list.

2 Likes

Ah yes. Name calling. Such evidence of maturity. Great way to further a conversation.

Probably calls anyone wearing a mask during a pandemic “Liberal sheep”.

3 Likes

I came across this for those ‘Karens’

12 Likes

Kind of off topic but I found out today that my beloved, influential high school English/Creative Writing teacher passed away in early July. She was 79 and died of “pneumonia” but they also canceled her graveside service due to some family members testing positive for covid. She was very sharp and active until this pandemic, posting on facebook and running a public school advocacy group called Texas Kids Can’t Wait. I’m pretty sure she’s another one that covid took too soon and that Texas prefers to under count. I now know someone personally who has died from it. It’s just getting closer and closer and the anti-maskers and deniers can’t keep this up much longer, can they?

7 Likes
2 Likes

I hear you Jaquo. Airbnb is my partner.

My condo has produced a lot of money because of Airbnb. I did not know any of the people who rented it over the last four years. Airbnb hooked me up with them and the money Airbnb made was a ‘speck’ compared to what I made. Without them (and to a lesser degree, VRBO), I’d have an empty condo in Maui with taxes, HOA, utilities, etc. coming out of my pocket. Before Airbnb, I tried Craigslist. I nothing but scary people (and one funny story).

I disagree with the one-sided approach Airbnb takes on some decisions. They come off as arrogant and uncaring. But, even my best friends in life have done things that annoyed me. I could have gotten angry and chosen not to have them as friends or, I could have looked at them as coming up short of MY expectations sometimes but worth the friendship.

They are still friends and I’m better off for them.

3 Likes

@KKC OT again- In addition to the ones who will never deign to be convinced, there are also these types who need to jump off a cliff and somehow manage to survive with not quite every bone in their body broken, in order to understand that all the people who’ve been telling them that jumping off cliffs isn’t safe were actually telling them the truth.

1 Like

14 family members infected and, to date, one has died!

I know nothing about this guy but the irony and hypocrisy makes me want to scream! :angry:

"I cannot help but feel responsible for convincing our families it was safe to have a get-together. There’s a lot of things that I would have done differently."

• “a gay conservative, someone that often juggles persecution for my sexuality while being true to my values.” -> yet he supports the party and president that wants to remove he and his husband’s rights.
  • “I admit I voted for Donald Trump in 2016”
  • “I admit traveling deep into the conspiracy trap over COVID-19. All the defiant behavior of Trump’s more radical and rowdy cult followers, I participated in it. I was a hard-ass that stood up for my God-given rights.”
  • creates a GoFundMe page to help his in-laws pay medical bills resulting from their illness. And yet supports the party and president that wants to take away healthcare for those who can’t afford it.

Maybe he will realize that ignoring the Pandemic was not the only thing he should have done differently.

1 Like

I know, I have a hard time understanding people like this. They aren’t so stupid or arrogant that they refuse to admit they made a mistake, that their thinking was wrong, and that it led to unneeded suffering for themselves and others, yet they were so dumb that they couldn’t see that the ideas and politicians they supported were wrong from the get-go.

But I’m glad that people with his mind set are trying to let others of their ilk know how wrong they really were, as it will hopefully reach a few of them. Every anti-masker who decides that wearing a mask isn’t a bad idea will save countless others from infection, and every 2016 Trump voter who doesn’t vote for him again is a good thing.

2 Likes

I don’t use instant book and, even though Airbnb always posts a message to me about why I should, it has had no effect on my bookings as far as I can tell. Also, you can set the bookings for 1 day between, which I have done. Also changed my minimum to 3, since you can’t make money if you have a 1 night guest with 2 days off.

This reminds me of a study called, “Dying of Whiteness” about how white working class voters mobilize against their own interests and their own health, even saying they would rather die without medical care than support Obamacare, etc.

2 Likes

I was friends with someone for over 20 years and she got married to a conservative woman, got a high paying job and went back to her central TX conservative roots and became a Trumper. Unlike some I know she’s educated and intelligent so I’m not sure of her current feelings. She was an RN before becoming an attorney so maybe she’s not comfortable with current policies. But I’m no longer in touch with her, I had to cut ties. It seems to be that what happened is that they got what they wanted in terms of being able to marry and get jobs and then the only value they cared about was almighty money.

2 Likes

@Phoenix I had Instant Book for two years, but have changed to Enquiries and also made booking available 3 months out instead of 6.