Venting: Guest just realized there is a virus and is cancelling a four day booking for this month

@muddy, I’ve always had two days between bookings, but then AirBnB changed it to 2 nights. But I have flexible check-in and check-out, so it’s really only one full day or a day and a half. I have not seen the promised 72 hour one yet.

@Phoenix I’m in Ireland

I’m not sure what you mean by changed it to 2 nights. The wording has changed? It’s always been more accurate and less confusing to think of booking dates as nights rather than days, because when someone books the 3rd, that means they are checking in on the 3rd and their first night sleeping there is the 3rd.

They used to say Two Days between bookings but now it says Two Nights so it’s one day shorter. For me anyway with flexible times for check in and check out.
If someone checks out at 9pm on Monday, it means the next guest can check in at say 9am Wednesday, which is really one full day to clean.

I know we are doing a good job of counting the number of dead, but that is only part of the story. This virus is not a ‘you die or you are fine’ problem. My best friend’s daughter got COVID and lived. Great. However, in order to survive, she had to have one of her legs amputated. She is 18 years old. She will live with the damage the rest of her days. She’s one of too many to track victims of other ways this disease ravages people. But… she didn’t die so we don’t count her.

2 Likes

I hope, and this is cold comfort, but I hope that all the victims will be counted after the shooting stops, as they are in any war. There is a determined effort on the part of the government to under count everyone. But hopefully by next year we will have it under control, there will be government that cares about the people and we will begin to repair what damage can be repaired. I’m sorry for your friend and her daughter.

1 Like

How horrible. So sorry for the girl. Anyone making light of this virus is either really stupid, totally uniformed (no excuse in this age of easy access to information) , or insane.

Unless it’s crucial to the type of bookings you get, change your check-in/check out times. I also have quite flexible check-in/out times, as I’ve always had 1 day prep time set. I never want back-to-back bookings. My check -in time is 11AM-11PM, my check-out time is 4 pm. So if I have guests at the outside limits of that, one guest would check out at 4 PM, and I’d have from 4PM that day until 11 AM 2 days later to clean and prepare.

In the US, you are able to change your settings to automatically allow a day between bookings giving you enough time to clean between bookings

You must have a large place if guests are using it for reunions. If you are hosting responsibly, it is your responsibility to inform guests of your cleaning protocols and what you expect of your guests.

Lizkaz, I have been hosting for five years and now how to run my business professionally but thanks for your advice.

Why would you think it’s only for the US? It’s an option on any listing, anywhere.

Because we’re special. And I do mean “special”. lol. :wink:

Actually, I think she means because they roll out different setting options geographically.

But, that does not keep us from being special :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: They definitely roll out new features at different times depending on your location. But the prep time setting is a very basic setting and has been there as long as I’ve been hosting, which is almost 4 years.

So sorry this happened! I am surprised these days when guests actually honor their reservations.

1 Like

Where on the coast? I booked a place in Cambria earlier this month and the beach was nicely deserted:)

RR

People SMH.

I used Obamacare for 6 months while unemployed. A conservative acquaintance gave me grief about being on government assistance and she didn’t like supporting me, I should work. I have worked 1 and sometimes 2 or 3 jobs for 45 years and contributed to the system. I needed help. I am not ashamed.

I hope it doesn’t get legislated away

3 Likes

I love Cambria! I’m about an hour from there, in Santa Cruz. It’s the best time to visit the California coast. I expect we will never experience a summer as peaceful and traffic free as this one.

One of my pet peeves are people who think their tax dollars are worth more than mine. I very much dislike that so many of my tax dollars go to support police, military, and corporate handouts.

4 Likes

Sorry for you. What jerks. I would be really tempted to send guests like this a scathing message