Venting: Guest just realized there is a virus and is cancelling a four day booking for this month

So sorry! What horrible disrespectful people! At least you can block them so they can’t book you in the future.

2 Likes

Hi Phoenix, you can set your calendar to give a buffer between bookings - I have set mine for 2 days so I feel safer cleaning, and I have also set for a minimum 3 day stay - I will lose money but would rather be safe :slight_smile:

Not sure about your location, but i’ve been literally scanning airbnb and vrbo every 2 days hoping to find last-min cancellations that have opened up dates. My thinking is that covid makes cancellations more likely and I can drive my family anywhere with around 24 hr notice. Hope you get a re-booking!

I got tired of AirBnB screwing owners with their policy. I hid my listing and Don’t rent through AirBnB any longer.

2 Likes

So, I have to wonder why you just joined a forum specifically for Airbnb hosts just to give us the benefit of that little gem. :rofl:

2 Likes

Don’t be so harsh, it’s been a wee while since anyone took the time to join an Airbnb hosts forum, just to say they aren’t happy with Airbnb, and to also say they aren’t hosting with Airbnb anymore.

TMTOTH

JF

2 Likes

Yep, yet another one … :wink:

I did get a couple of the nights re-booked at a slightly discounted rate. I truly am grateful for any bookings I get at this point in time! I’m on the California coast, probably a bit too far for you to drive to!

I’ll be glad to tell you why. Before I left, I wanted to see if other hosts felt the same way about the treatment they have received from AirBnB. I am now encouraging hosts to express their dissatisfaction in the only way that will get AirBnB’s attention. We have tried voicing our complaints. They clearly didn’t care. Your disrespectful, condescending tone is similar to AirBnB. Do you work for them?

1 Like

I’ll be glad to tell you why. Before I left, I wanted to see if other hosts felt the same way about the treatment they have received from AirBnB. I am now encouraging hosts to express their dissatisfaction in the only way that will get AirBnB’s attention. We have tried voicing our complaints. They clearly didn’t care. Your disrespectful, condescending tone is similar to AirBnB. Do you work for them?

No I do not work for them - no one here does. However, as it says at the top of every page of this site “This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!”

So yes, largely we are all using Airbnb (or some are paused due to COVID) and we are mostly passionate hosts.

Most members here have vented about Airbnb at some time or another but that does not mean that this is the place to “encouraging hosts to express their dissatisfaction in the only way that will get AirBnB’s attention”

I don’t understand why, if you no longer want to use Airbnb as an advertising platform why you want to get their attention. Furthermore, I’m sure you know that it’s unlikely to happen.

Finally, I am neither disrespectful nor condescending.

3 Likes

AirBnB gladly took my money for years, But when times got tough they abandoned their owners. That made me angry. When I am angry, I generally retaliate in any way that is available to me. If enough people leave, yes it will get their attention. Without hosts, they don’t have a business.

If you want to believe that, then that’s fine. But please take a look at what you wrote. Airbnb took your money? You paid them a commission for their advertising, messaging, help pages, technology, app, credit card processing, etc. You’re presumably saying that the company should have been doing that free?

I understand that you’re angry. But retaliation is likely to hurt you more than Airbnb. And a site whose members are largely happy with the advertising platform offered by Airbnb isn’t the best choice for you.

3 Likes

Without guests they don’t have a business either. So they made a decision, only time will tell if they made the right one.

A lot of people are angry and leaving. They always are. I’ve been a host for 6 years and on this forum about 5.5 years and there have always been people complaining, saying Airbnb was going down the toilet and so on. And they are still here. Maybe eventually they won’t be. Meanwhile there are other platforms you can list on. Sadly, like every other big corporation they don’t really care about you. There are plenty of new hosts or established hosts ready to take your bookings.

5 Likes

Don’t twist my words. You know the intent. I was saying they were glad to accept the commissions from me and my fellow hosts. When times got tough they opted to abandon the hosts, override our cancellation policy without our permission . The other platforms treated their owner partners with much more consideration. The straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back was them having a free $500,000 laying around that they could donate to BLM. That was money they essentially stole from owners.

1 Like

giphy (1)

It’s that time again :rofl:

JF

6 Likes

I don’t know how you expect me to know exactly what you mean. I don’t know you and you don’t know me.

I’m afraid that if you considered yourself an ‘owner partner’ of Airbnb, then this suggests to me that you were denying your own responsibility towards your own business and expecting that somehow Airbnb was your partner and should therefore look after you.

But as I say, I don’t know you. You’ve only just joined.

2 Likes

Don’t try to twist my words. I hope your are intelligent enough to know , i meant “accepted the commissions I paid them”. They decided to over ride our cancellation policies without regard to geography. Absolutely absurd. The proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back was them finding an extra $500,000 available to donate to BLM. That was money they stole from the pockets of owners.

Ah, now I get it. LOL.

3 Likes

Again condescending. You don’t “get it” at all. I would have been just as mad if they donated the money to any other political organization. Why are you so worried about discrediting me personally?