US Hosts: If you have a FHA, Fannie Mae, or Freddie Mac mortgage, stop worrying

For FHA Mortgages:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Ben Carson, in consultation with the Trump Administration and the Coronavirus Task Force, today authorized the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) to implement an immediate foreclosure and eviction moratorium for single family homeowners with FHA-insured mortgages for the next 60 days.

https://www.hud.gov/press/press_releases_media_advisories/HUD_No_20_042

For Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mortgages:

Today, to help borrowers who are at risk of losing their home, the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) has directed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (the Enterprises) to suspend foreclosures and evictions for at least 60 days due to the coronavirus national emergency. The foreclosure and eviction suspension applies to homeowners with an Enterprise-backed single-family mortgage.

Earlier this month, FHFA announced that the Enterprises would provide payment forbearance to borrowers impacted by the coronavirus. Forbearance allows for a mortgage payment to be suspended for up to 12 months due to hardship caused by the coronavirus.

https://www.fhfa.gov/Media/PublicAffairs/Pages/FHFA-Suspends-Foreclosures-and-Evictions-for-Enterprise-Backed-Mortgages.aspx

USA Today:

Mortgage lenders Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac will suspend foreclosures and evictions for at least 60 days as federal and business leaders respond to the growing COVID-19 crisis that will cost people their jobs and likely tip the economy into a recession.

My mortgage is a Fannie Mae mortgage serviced by my local bank. Time to call my banker and ask for the forms.

1 Like

That’s great. Thanks for all the links. Very helpful.

I don’t know about stop worrying, but if you can, you should.

We have lots of building societies and banks letting people have mortgage breaks.

Hope this is happening in other parts of the world too.

What I really need is 3 months extensions of my mortgage loan so that I don’t have to pay my mortgage. This doesn’t really help folks who are are on the brink of financial loss just the ones that are already in the process.

2 Likes

Good thing my partner paid off her mortgage back in December! The mortgage bonfire was a great party!

3 Likes

That’s called forbearance, and these lenders have programs for that. Are you in the US?

I thought they were doing mortgage holidays in the US too?

Yes, I am. I hadn’t seen anything mentioned about giving homeowners a break on their mortgage. Can you tell me where I can find more information. I don’t need a loan, I need my mortgage repayment period extended to help get over the loss of income from work and airnbnb. Since I’m self-employed I don’t seem to qualify for anything.

I’ve heard talk but nothing definitive. So far all I have seen are for people who are already in the bankruptcies or foreclosure process. Where do you live and are they giving you a mortgage holiday?

I live in the UK and a lot of building societies and banks are offering mortgage holidays @Lynick4442

Crazy they aren’t doing that in the US😢

The links are all at the beginning of this thread. If you go to the website for the agency that is guaranteeing your mortgage, there is a phone number to call. Or you can call the bank servicing your mortgage. I’m also self employed, and I’m busy trying to get my financial info together to prepare an application, so I don’t have time to write a comprehensive manual. And delaying payments, or forbearance, is one of the programs.

Explore that option with your mortgage company. I lived in Denver and worked as a Realtor during the housing bust in the 80’s. I also have friends who had to get loan modifications during the 2008 crisis. Mortgage companies have many options - the only one they really don’t want is to own your home. If you have good credit and have paid on time you may be surprised at the options.

1 Like

I have contacted them and they said that they have only just started a conversation. Its through a small local bank that has not resold the loan. I do have great credit so I’m hoping. As a last resort I can refinance into a 30 year (I only have 7 years left) and bring my payments down. I’m also trying to find a roommate for the space. (entire 2nd floor). I’ll make 1/2 the money but it might be time to say goodbye to Airbnb.

1 Like

At least the roommate will provide stable income and a lot less hassle (hopefully) than the work of an Airbnb. Not sure what area you are in, but most hosts would jump at the opportunity to have a seasoned cohost or back up - so maybe you can make up the missing income that way. Also good credentials for house sitting - I have several friends who house sit for very high end homes - good money. Re: mortgage, I always advise getting the longer term mortgage and making extra principle payments as you can - best of both worlds. Best of luck to you - take care and stay safe!

2 Likes