[Updated JAN 2024] Tried and Recommended Products for Airbnb Hosts

I use the same product on some windows in my dome which used to get condensation on them. Not part of the guest space, it’s in my bedroom.

How cool! I’d be interested to see that! :slightly_smiling_face:

Does anyone have a recommended keypad lock that works similar to resortlock?

I want a lock that issues date and time sensitive codes but isn’t necessarily tied to the internet, in case the internet goes down at the rental location…

I use remotelock at a couple different properties, but they discontinued the lock that I use,… It’s expensive anyway and sometimes has been problematic because the keypad isn’t that great…

I’ve been using this lock for several years now and I assume that by now there is something cheaper and better available, but have trouble finding one…

Any help is appreciated!!

1 Like

After that exhaustive Amazon list NO!!

Are they paying you to detail so much of their rubbish?

Very annoying post.

Hi @liam, welcome to the forum.

Tom2 owns this forum and he pays for it out of his own pocket. As you may have noticed in your brief time here, there is a very clean and direct layout. No ads in every available white space, no pop ups and no ads to watch before you can access content. Compared to 90% of the short term rental advice sites out there, this forum is a dream come true.

The short answer is yes, they are paying him in the sense that those are affiliate links and Tom will make a small amount from sales resulting from clicking on those links. His affiliate links are the only ones permitted here. We also don’t allow folks to promote their own websites here in a an effort to direct people away from this free site to one with a bunch of ads. We also offer some of the best advice on STRs on the internet.

Is there something you were looking for that we can help you with?

6 Likes

You know one thing (among many) I like about the software on this forum? It’s the only one I’ve ever run across (among both hosting forums and a couple of Mexico forums I check out) where you can edit your post indefinitely.

On all the others, the edit function times out after a half hour or hour. As someone who cringes at bad spelling, and punctuation, sometimes I’ll notice I made a typo, or left out a word on a post, and here I can correct it even if I run across it a week later because someone responded- on other forums it’s there forever.

6 Likes

I like that, too! EXCEPT I did find out that if you edit too much later (don’t know how much) the earlier “likes” will drop off.

1 Like

Too bad. Some amazing products on that list I’d never heard of before. I used to bleach whites until the items disintegrated. I have bright whites 100% bleach-free and even in my own house (would just get rid of the stuff). I can get almost any stain out of anything now, and I know when not to waste my time.

Thanks for the list and testimonials y’all! :love_you_gesture:t4:

2 Likes

KKC it is what it is. Yes there is something. Airbnb penalised us 88.00 Euros on a Christmas booking as we are Strict on cancellation. I don’t recall ever seeing this penalty published. This amounted to 22.00 Euros per day over a 4 night vacation. Perhaps it’s out there just haven’t picked up on it yet. It’s penal and bullying in many respects :pensive:

The forum software requires members to meet certain requirements before they can post a new topic. I have adjusted the settings so you should be able to post this issue now. There are penalty fees if a host cancels a reservation but I don’t know of penalties if a guest does.

This post is still good for ideas you can buy locally. But I would point out …

Wait, did you hear that giant whoshing sound???..

OH, its just the sound of Airbnb extracting 14-21% of each transaction out of your local economy!!

Super helpful! Many things that I had overlooked. Thank you!

You can totally sell items in your rental. I see hosts selling stuff like toothbrushes and even… like, rides to the airport? with a digital store. Most use The Host Co but I think there are others too, like BnSellIt. We have local honey around where we are so I can imagine it’s helpful to offer things like that.

Point made.

1 Like

Hi
I’m new to the site as well daughter and I starting an Airbnb and I’m excited but also scared didn’t realize there were so many yucky people out there. Or so many cons trying to take advantage. However I do know that there’s got to be something majical about it being so many host and in owners by choice.
I too am enjoying the list and have started takin notes I’m all over several of the products!!

I’ve legit been trying to find some sort of list and this is amazing!! Thank you so much <3

I don’t know what type of Airbnb you are listing, but not all hosts have problematic guests. I have had quite lovely guests in my home share, not a “bad” guest among them.
Yes, one girl left her room and bathroom a disaster, but otherwise she was a sweet, respectful and appreciative person who did always clean up after herself in common spaces.

Yes, one girl brought some guy home at 3am, but when I told her the next morning that was definitely not allowed, that was the end of it.

I have never had to contact Airbnb about an issue with a guest, nor file a damage claim. Almost all my guests leave their space clean and tidy, so if I occasionally have to do “excessive cleaning”, I don’t consider it a huge issue.

It’s good to be aware of the fact that some guests can be truly bad, how to handle various situations, and not go into hosting all starry-eyed, but keep in mind that hosts usually post on forums when they have a guest issue, not to say they always have wonderful guests and that hosting is a pleasure.

So it’s easy to get the impression that guests are one big headache after another, constantly leaving destroyed houses in their wake, which I doubt is the experience of most hosts.

1 Like

Are you doing a home share, nearby rental or trying to do this remotely. It makes a difference. I have done a home share for over a decade and the interesting, lovely people I have met make up for the lousy ones.

1 Like

Hi , who was that question for as it popped up in my email box I didn’t realize I had those type of privileges yet. Anyway I was simply thanking the host for the awesome bucket list of things to buy. We hadn’t really started anything yet well until yesterday where we got our first property (yippee) we will be doing apartments ourselves not as second hosts.

Now as per Muddy’s comment which did make sense and made me feel better I have something to share… I was traveling from Seattle to Hawaii on Hawaiian airlines one of my favorite carriers of late. I was visiting my daughter a newly minted 2021HS graduate now in her freshman year of college in Honolulu. 5hours and 45 minutes of non stop rest, movies, reading, journaling Airbnb ideas or eating as they are one of the only lines that’s still serve I’ve been told. I fell fast asleep head bobbling asleep you know and get woken up by an annoying consistent relentless click click click seemed to last forever. I opened my eyes and turned my head in the direction of……wait for it…. a middle aged woman clipping her finger nails allowing them to fall as they may! As in on the isle, in her lap and on the seat. I nearly threw up. Then she took the mail instrument piece and proceeded to dig the under the nail dirt out and let that fall where ever. She never bothered to collect her dna or do it over something so it could be placed in the correct receptacle no napkin or magazine just nails flying on a tight nit flight! She didn’t look up once to see if anyone was peering at her she could’ve cared less! Oh and I stared at her my piercing eyes and mask covered face just waiting for one glimpse or even worse one of those nails to land on me. So I could say oh How I feel sorry for the next person coming to sit in the seat after you lady. Then service came down the isle I thought clearly she will have the decency to stop during breakfast …well she did not stop during breakfast it is a task that last only a few minutes I believe it was some nervous thing of hers. Regardless it was ‘hands’ down disgusting and I’ve taken lots of flights in my time I’ve never seen something so rude and yuck… I snapped a pic I know I’m bizarre too I wanted some validation when O shared my story with family but turns out I needed none I described it to them well enough and they weee equally yucked out.

All that to say, Muddy I know you’re right most times most people are just fine and sensible but there are a few out there that are so !#+*?
Still it’s best take pics :rofl: and spend to much head space on them.

Your nail clipping story reminds me of the article I saw probably a year ago now of Rudy Giuliani shaving at a dining table in a VIP lounge in the airport. Some guy who had been there videoed it and posted to Twitter and it got a ton of “Fuckin’ pig”, “What a disgusting POS” etc, comments.

1 Like