Update on "Not sure to do about upcoming reservaation from Russian Guest

One of the reasons I wrote my guest was to warn him this was probably coming, and if he didn’t cancel now, he risked being unable to fly out of Russia and unable to collect his refund

4 Likes

And it’s coming down on Russian hosts, too. One just posted on another forum saying he has bookings, how is he going to get paid?

1 Like

THIS!!!

1 Like

I’m in tears. How brave and how crazy this all is.

I’m from NYC and have always thought that the UN was a waste of space and time. (let’s not rant on this, it’s not the entire point of my reply).

But watching the ENTIRE diplomatic delegation of EVERY country stand up and leave the UN when the Russian ambassador was set to speak gave me goosebumps - and hope that maybe someone in Russia and in Putin’s entourage will figure out a way to put a stop to this soon.

Interesting “man on the street” interviews with Russians. The young ones, the 20 somethings all think that Putin is battling the American occupation of Ukraine instead of invading a sovereign nation.

He can’t fly out of Russia now. No place to land except possibly China.

It’s crazy.

Why Russian air travel is DONE for the duration.

2 Likes

Being advocated in another Airbnb host group:

If you have a $100 voucher you don’t plan to use,

Find an in-home stay host in the :ukraine: Ukraine
Book a stay using your voucher
Notify host you aren’t coming but this booking is to show your support
Book

4 Likes

I like this idea in theory, but am a little nervous about it in practice. And I don’t need a SH voucher to do this. The rates are so low I can book a week for $100. Wouldn’t it be great if Airbnb waived their fees for Ukraine bookings?

I just went to Twitter to see about tweeting in support of Airbnb waiving their fees and found this.

So maybe I’ll wait and see if Airbnb makes this an additional initiative.

2 Likes

I know they’re doing the Airbnb.org stays (but only 100, 000) and those won’t have service fees. But I just looked a few places in different areas in Ukraine and they all had $0 service fees when I put in dates. Maybe they are doing that but maybe they are assuming it was an airbnb.org stay. I don’t know.

I tried a few and they all looked like that.

I’m going to book some place! I like the idea.

1 Like

Thanks, I just checked and I see no service fee for the place I spotted near Kyiv.

1 Like

I’m thinking. Should we book and then cancel? But that would require a firm cancelation policy so that they could keep the full booking amount. However, if we don’t cancel, are we taking away a safe place for someone else that might need it, someone there?

What do you think? I want to make sure that I’m only helping, not hurting.

If I tell the person I’m not staying then they know they can offer to someone else? I just booked the only night available for March at a private room on the outskirts of Kyiv. Their listing wasn’t in English so don’t know how good the communication will be. I told them if they have internet and can send me a resolution request I will send an added $50. Now I’m looking for some other listings and was even looking at experiences and found this:

https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/1382257?searchId=f5c6548d-26e3-46d6-abaa-8fcb03a892c7&sectionId=793892d2-8877-4b6c-906e-5d4582d8b406&source=p5_5

So obviously we have to be on the lookout for scammers. I’m not saying this is one but I’m only going to consider profiles with an established review record.

3 Likes

It must be a successful campaign or the hosts have closed their calendars for now. Using “I’m flexible” to search for a weekend I can’t find anything open until April.

First time I’ve seen a war referred to as an 'international event ’

1 Like

I’m seeing weekdays for this coming week. I feel like the “I’m Flexible” is not so flexible because you can only choose weekend, week or month.

@kkc Here is superhost with is dog friendly and available tomorrow. Sorry, I thought it was a room but seems to be a whole apt. I’ll keep looking.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/50924692?adults=1&pets=1&check_in=2022-03-06&check_out=2022-03-08&federated_search_id=c69609b4-d894-4a75-87a6-5e149e1aa1dd&source_impression_id=p3_1646324212_jjOfz5CDbFkUZurc

Awesome, thanks. I booked it. Another consideration is that usually you can’t book two places on the same dates.

Regardless of the cancel policy if we cancel same day they would get paid for sure.

1 Like

I have to say that getting a message like this from someone actually in Ukraine is something.

t

4 Likes

The reference was to sanctions. The war itself does not directly affect my guest’s ability to travel as planned or to collect a refund if he cancels, but the international response to the war has shut down air travel, which will force him to cancel if Putin is still in Ukraine in July, and which makes it impossible for him to collect any refunds he might be entitled to because of banking sanctions. I thought that was clear in the letter.

1 Like

Sorry not to me it wasn’t

Yeah, it really is.

I’ve found a couple more small-time hosts to support. I’m sure everyone could use support but I am starting with the small-time ones.

I am finding the search very frustrating. Hotel rooms come up when I select private room :roll_eyes: And most hosts look to be corporate of some sort, with 15 apartments. I believe it’s mentioned on here before that it would be nice to have a filter for “old school Airbnb” or “personally run by host”, that kind of thing.

It may that smaller time hosts have mostly closed their calendars and, truthfully, I am sure that everyone could use some support right now anyway. But, geez, the filters are almost useless.

UPDATE: I got a great place in Kyiv! A private room, pet friendly and I would actually love to stay there sometime. And things are booking up. I chose a few different places, then stepped away for 20 minutes and my dates were then gone at all of them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Could he not possibly get out of Russia by other means of travel than air, and fly to Canada from another country?