Update on "Not sure to do about upcoming reservaation from Russian Guest

First time I’ve seen a war referred to as an 'international event ’

1 Like

I’m seeing weekdays for this coming week. I feel like the “I’m Flexible” is not so flexible because you can only choose weekend, week or month.

@kkc Here is superhost with is dog friendly and available tomorrow. Sorry, I thought it was a room but seems to be a whole apt. I’ll keep looking.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/50924692?adults=1&pets=1&check_in=2022-03-06&check_out=2022-03-08&federated_search_id=c69609b4-d894-4a75-87a6-5e149e1aa1dd&source_impression_id=p3_1646324212_jjOfz5CDbFkUZurc

Awesome, thanks. I booked it. Another consideration is that usually you can’t book two places on the same dates.

Regardless of the cancel policy if we cancel same day they would get paid for sure.

1 Like

I have to say that getting a message like this from someone actually in Ukraine is something.

t

4 Likes

The reference was to sanctions. The war itself does not directly affect my guest’s ability to travel as planned or to collect a refund if he cancels, but the international response to the war has shut down air travel, which will force him to cancel if Putin is still in Ukraine in July, and which makes it impossible for him to collect any refunds he might be entitled to because of banking sanctions. I thought that was clear in the letter.

1 Like

Sorry not to me it wasn’t

Yeah, it really is.

I’ve found a couple more small-time hosts to support. I’m sure everyone could use support but I am starting with the small-time ones.

I am finding the search very frustrating. Hotel rooms come up when I select private room :roll_eyes: And most hosts look to be corporate of some sort, with 15 apartments. I believe it’s mentioned on here before that it would be nice to have a filter for “old school Airbnb” or “personally run by host”, that kind of thing.

It may that smaller time hosts have mostly closed their calendars and, truthfully, I am sure that everyone could use some support right now anyway. But, geez, the filters are almost useless.

UPDATE: I got a great place in Kyiv! A private room, pet friendly and I would actually love to stay there sometime. And things are booking up. I chose a few different places, then stepped away for 20 minutes and my dates were then gone at all of them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Could he not possibly get out of Russia by other means of travel than air, and fly to Canada from another country?

That would require him to drive from the middle of Siberia (with two young children) and then purchase new air tickets, which he cannot do because credit cards do not work

1 Like

Did you read the very next sentence?

1 Like

Yes, that’s very irritating. I turned on the filter for private room thinking I’d get those families sharing a room in their home and got hotels.

I agree. Usually it’s because they show me too many listings. So I have to use the zoom on the map, SH and IB to get a managable number. In this case there are few listings. I’m sure there’s a lot going on.

1 Like

For anyone else looking, I had the best luck putting only “private room” “1 guest” and no dates at all. I found a lot that way, but of course, I came across a few with blocked-out calendars. But did find plenty that had dates and even if they were in April, they had a non-refundable option that made it easy to book and then cancel right away with them getting the payout.

5 Likes

ANd now… THIS

TBH, expected and a bit late compared to other multi national companies.

JF

2 Likes

Nobody can book anyway – because there is a sanctions firewall between banks/credit cards in Russia and banks in the west and nobody can fly in or out

1 Like

Not entirely correct. My OH has Russian students, and as it stands there isn’t an issue with them paying for lessons.

What is refreshing to see is that other than one young girl, they are now one hundred percent against the ruling regime and this war.

JF

1 Like

Where is their bank account. Which bank is their credit card associated with.
When was the last time they were able to do this – because it was just two days ago (IRCC) VISA & Mastercard said they were closing the links.

Hope you are not counting on payment from the Russian students to buy your groceries!

That sounds a wee bit like a typical blinkered North American rant, and displays a typical blinkered North American lack of knowledge of financial affairs east of Cape Spears.

We’re good, they’re good (for now) and the general feeling within Europe is sympathy for not just the poor folks in the Ukraine, but your average Ivan or Valentina in Russia.

If we struggle, I’ll post on here for a food parcel.

JF

5 Likes

I’ll be first in line with a FedEx’d frozen sockeye!

Aye well, if you did I’d substitute it for ten boxes of tampons, a bale of nappies and then serve it up, hot smoked on Saturday night :wink:

JF