Unregistered guests- puts us past max capacity :(

Anyone had any luck with AirBnB upholding a fine or fee for guests beyond your limit? My house rules state a substantial fine per person beyond the maximum we are allowed by city rules. I had photos from a neighbor showing at least 14. I called ABB when they were still there, since I had specifically discussed the number of guest with this person before the stay (booked for 1, then said 10, I informed her limit of 8, she then told me one couple cancelled so they would be ok) and ABB advised me not to try to kick them out since they were knowingly doing this after being warned and ABB suggested the guest might damage my home if kicked out (and I am remote so would have had to get my little manager to do it.)

Long story short, ABB now says they can only charge the extra guest punishment fee if I have a video, not a photo. Yet, ABB did not tell me that when the guests were there. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck getting ABB to payout on the stated fee without video?

1 Like

My charge is always per guest not per room and I live here so nothing is remote. No stress!!

1 Like

Interesting terminology! I did not realize they are requiring a video rather than a picture. This is the first I have heard of it. Did they admit to having that many on the airbnb messaging, and if they did, would you still need a video or would airbnb make them pay? Anyone?

Great tip to confirm prior to booking!

2 Likes

Found on VRBO where you can charge for an extra guest. I have listed as my maximum 4 and really do not want more than that. I was going to use the extra person charge as a deterrant and possibly a “punitive “ for lousy guests, but their system is different than airbnb. In order to charge for extra 5 th person, vrbo wants me to change the listing to say max 5 and then allows me to charge a fee per person per day or per person per entire visit for over 4 .I think that will be confusing to the guests and will lead to misunderstandings. Hidden extra charge. And worse, I might start getting the creeping up numbers of guests like the giant baby that was really a toddler or the “ by the way my sister and brother in law surprised us”. I think I will leave it the way it is. I have been getting bookings with only 3 to 4 guests for the last 5 bookings. Since I started attatching my house rules and a blurb confirming max 4, confirming no pets, and requesting names and ages of guests, I have not had any surprises.

I think you answered your own question here. I have a place that could technically sleep 5 on a sofa, but do I want bargain-hunter people who want to cram an extra person in the place to save a buck? Sleeping on the living room sofa? (Possibly drooling on it.) No I don’t want those kind of guests.

By the same token I don’t want to try to make an extra buck off of a 5th guest. I just price accordingly for 4 guests, as this is what it comfortably sleeps.

3 Likes

Check in with Militaryhorselegal, our Lead Expert on fines, fees and penalties!

2 Likes

This happens way more often than I like. I have placed in manual on site registered guest only. I don’t even charge for extra if in one room, I just need to know. I had explained it is an occupancy load issue and also a fire code issue. If house burns down ( God Forbid) I need to know names and ID’s of people in house. I have had a reservation of 2 into 4. They take extra linens out of closet and towels as well sleep on floor. The final straw was guests sleeping on couch in common area and showering there holding up shared bath for paying guests. I had to stay there and catch them, which I did not like but other guests were complaining and checking out leaving poor reviews while stating the host was unaware not her fault. The final straw was a guest who booked room but left out her boyfriend. I insisted on ID and upon looking he was a felon with a warrant out for his arrest staying in my home. These things happen and air bnb is making it even harder now with there new rules. We seriously don’t know who will be staying now till after they book??? I no longer instant book since felon in home. Now we can’t even know who is staying unless they pay? Then a penalty if we cancel? Anybody ideas?

1 Like

When you were using IB did you require Govt. ID? I guess that only requires ID of the guest making the reservation, not the other “registered” guests. That’s an interesting question, one that probably doesn’t have a good answer. You could require IDs at check-in, but if you are wanting to do background check on everyone, that would be too little too late.

Yes I know no point after checkin, I only did a background check on this unregistered guest because I asked girlfriend his name for fire code, which is required in my area. She was very hesitant and got nasty with me. I let it go. Then next day I found drugs were left out on table for all other guests to see when I stopped by .Rather than call police , I did a backround check. Out they went and I get penalized? just don’t get how you can have extra people in room and not know who they are . Air bnb is not very concerned with host safety in my opinion.

Did you take a picture of the drugs? Were they Rx or “recreational”? Did Airbnb refund them? If that is the case, I would be tempted to post on Airbnb facebook and twitter. “Guest and friend balked at providing ID for compliance with fire regulation. Left recreational drugs in common area in violation of house rules, see photo. When ID provided, my background check showed guest had outstanding felony warrant. Airbnb refunded them when I asked them to leave, despite my documentation.”

1 Like

Very well said. Air bnb should not penalize the host for being forced to ask a guest to leave due to violating the rules or engaging in illegal activities.

2 Likes