Unfair review - would you contact your guest or just leave it like that

I’ve read that book too! I just gave it away in a free box out front, and my dad said, “you’d better cover that up so kids don’t see it.”

1 Like

This forum is for getting it off your chest. Don’t sweat it if people here are upset at your using a bad word. It wasn’t aimed at anyone in the forum and we can see you’re hurt and frustrated by a difficult and ungrateful guest. Your personal style of expressing that shouldn’t really have offended anyone. I don’t know where you’re from but in the UK and Australia it’s not nearly as offensive as in the US, and in some Latin countries it’s even a kind of backhanded endearment.

My advice to you is the same as jacquo’s. Forget it and move on. Unless it’s really a horribly critical review, responding to it will only draw attention to it. When I read reviews of potential places to stay and the majority of the reviews are great, but then there’s one negative one, for me it reflects a fussy guest more than poor accommodation.

3 Likes

Budapest, Hungary but lived and worked in Oz quite a while. Was a bit surprised that it generated such a big fuss, wasn’t my intention. :slight_smile:

I have already forgotten about it and try to concentrate on my many grateful, happy and satisfied guests that leave brilliant reviews and keep my superhost status alive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Andras,

A somewhat belated reply, but, if you want more than vague generalities, it helps to quote the review. Generally context is helpful.

Whether you should contain the guest, it depends. If you think you might get useful information, it might be worth it.

If you think you want some explanation, then I think contacting makes sense. I would adopt a courteous tone, and avoid sounding accusatory. Something along the lines of “let me know what was wrong, and help me improve” is a reasonable way to go, imo. But avoid the other extreme of sounding obsequious and hand-wringy, of course.

I wouldn’t worry about the “harrassment” thing. They can just ignore your email if they want to.

One thing to bear in mind - nobody likes getting negative reviews, but you can only find out how to improve from criticism. If possible, try to get information about things that could be improved from the guests before they leave.

1 Like

i wrote an email along these lines but i deleted it in the end. my previous guest wrote down what he would improve and what he did not like but forgot to mention the many requests i helped him with. my problem is that some of the guests want super low prices but expect 5 star service with two extra fluffy towels, a fully equipped hi-tec kitchen and some welcome goodies. if i pay 40 euros a night in the most central neighbourhood for a flat i more or less expect that it is not going to be the ritz carlton. it is spotlessly clean, well equipped but obviously there are some things that work better in a 200 euro per night hotel.

2 Likes

Hi @Andras,

I hear you. I suppose 40 euros a night isn’t much in Western Europe. Are you in Germany?

However, one can get useful suggestions even from annoying people. So one should try to keep an open mind.

no, budapest, hungary.

certainly true. i always add a few minor things based on reviews and feedback. i am actually happy if i get a good suggestion. what i don’t like is my guest asking for an extra towel and then mentioning in the review that extra towels would be a plus despite me providing him with one in 30 minutes as a favour. I don’t think that i should give two towels per person if they stay 2 or 3 nights.

1 Like

Ah, Budapest. Beautiful city.

Yes, one towel for 2 or 3 nights is just fine. And mentioning it in the review is quite jerky, if you provided him with one on request.

1 Like

I have followed up with negative comments from guests. It didn’t change anything but at least I was able to reply to their unwarranted comments.

Well I’m sure by now the furor over that word has distracted you from the pain of the review. But don’t mind it, at all - it is totally common on this forum for threads to go, at length, in different directions. And we all learned something in the process. Just don’t get us started on water kettles or duvets…

Here’s hoping your next guests are lively conversationalists, appreciative, and able to enjoy what you offer. I just heard from a nephew who was in Budapest producing an album. He said it’s the most beautiful city in the world, and as a musician, he has seen most all of them. I’m trying to plan a vacation for my family of 5 for next June and have been intrigued!

3 Likes

I was replying to the post above which I’m including below, perhaps you missed that post. I’m not a snob, or think it matters what people read,I was actually implying the guest was.

Perezo
14h
jaquo:
Actually, the ‘word’ was used as a pun by Shakespeare. In Hamlet in fact
@jaquo - I think my guest, who in the “share this info only with your host” field, said "read more Shakespeare, " clearly should have booked with you. :smiley:

1 Like

I believe that Shakespeare’s Globe theater is where the term “peanut gallery” originated because supposedly the poor that had to stand cracked and ate peanuts while watching the performances. Or so I was told during my tour of the rebuilt Globe in London.

Hi @amywyo,

“peanut gallery” is a pretty generic and rather old term. I doubt anyone knows exactly where it originated from. And it seems unlikely that the Globe Theatre is identifiable as the origin point. Do you have a reference?

As I stated the tour guide of the “Globe Theater” in London said this which is why I used the word supposedly when I mentioned that.

You’re probably too young to remember the old joke ‘if Typhoo put the tea in Britain, who put the **** in Scunthorpe?’

I once knew an unfortunate your man whose name was Michael Hunt. Which was shame when people called him Mike :wink:

Sorry…

1 Like

you are more than welcome if you visit!

Hi @amywyo,

Ah, yes. Reading comprehension failure on my part. Sorry.

I expect the guide was just making it up. I know some people (particularly English people) think that Shakespeare was special, but really he was just one of many playwrights in the English language from before Elizabethan times till the present day. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good playwright; just not the ne plus ultra of anything.

1 Like

What?!!! I totally take exception to this. Name another of his contemporaries who has stood the test of time.

Christopher Marlowe?

Just kidding!!!

Usually I respect your ideas Faheem but I cannot believe you actually said this. Is this just a factoid you’ve invented to back your opinion?

My major in college was English with a heavy emphasis on British Literature. I completely disagree with what you just said and actually take a wee bit of offense.

Please provide citations for your statement.

Here’s an article I just googled about common phrases that either originated with him or that he put into common usage.