Unfair review - would you contact your guest or just leave it like that

And in my sixth grade classroom (just north of Boston), where 90% of my students speak Spanish and they think I don’t know how to translate, haha… :grin:

1 Like

I can assure you that this word is considered to be extremely vulgar in Britain too!! Definitely an insult that is saved for the most extraordinary of occasions.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Geddy.

I looked it up and read on the “trustworthy internet” that it is not the “nicest” word to be used in Britiain; however, for USA for women it is considered the lowest of the lowest terms. Not quite the same take in Britain?? - but not nice for sure.

I am not politically correct at all. The only reason I even questioned the OP is because most American females would not even engage with an American male who uses the term in his vocabulary. I don’t get phased by much. I am so glad he said he is not American…

1 Like

I’m from the UK and it’s certainly not a word that the majority would use. It’s seen as one of the worst ways that you can refer to a woman. So probably on par with how it’s seen in the US.

You would know if it was on par in your country. It is basically considered the most disgusting word in U.S.

I could be wrong but isn’t it the Latin root for the lady bit in question?

Depends where you live in the UK! It’s common currency in some parts. But yes it’s still banned by the good old BBC, I believe, so it is officially vulgar. I would add that the word has long ceased to be associated with female genitalia or with women at all, actually. I would say it’s mostly men that get called it nowadays, in the UK anyway.

No, there’s no Roman Latin root. It’s good old ancient Middle English, derived from Vikings probably, or Germanic in origin. There is nothing vaguely Latin about it. It’s just a bad word that gets everyone upset. Therefore it should be used carefully and with good reason.

1 Like

Instead of saying “pardon my French” when cursing, we should say “pardon my Anglo-Saxon.”

3 Likes

Indeed. The French do have a great tradition of foul insults but I don’t know why they get the prize. Many other languages have more ear-watering phrases. The C word seems kind of mild in comparison.

I think it is still reserved for the most base people, in the UK anyway. As in: Hey, I was thinking of asking X to do a job for me. What do you think? / Oh yeah, he’s a bit of a dick [ooh, another genitalia reference] but he’ll be good for it as long as you blah blah blah. Versus: Nah, the guy is a complete and utter c***. He’ll screw you over and leave you hanging. Don’t go anywhere near him.

It’s a useful short-hand word, sometimes.

Americans use the phrase “he is a dick” quite casually, but not the “C” word - hard to explain…

1 Like

What’s so bad about calling someone a ‘cart’?

(Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha…)

3 Likes

I hope the bad taste in your mouth has gone by now. There is really nothing you can do other than swallow it (brandy helps). Some people are simply ungracious, unappreciative and think the world revolves around them. Don’t allow your accumulated frustration show on their review. They don’t deserve that attention. Breathe, breathe and let it go. Some people are just that way, the next ones will be better.

2 Likes

Yes, I think it’s more of a UK thing. Of course it’s offensive to many here and not generally acceptable but it doesn’t necessarily make everyone reach for the smelling salts!

I just told my “boss” the same thing. We haven’t had a negative review yet but when the owners return for 4 months, we will. I told him by the time he gets back me may likely be able to weather any crappy reviews. I hope I’m right!

1 Like

Inga Muscio wrote a book about this word, I still have mine on a shelf, interesting read. I won’t post a link, but easy enough to look up by the authors name.
"An ancient title of respect for women, the word “c**t” long ago veered off this noble path…"
Urges women to take back the power of the word.

Actually, the ‘word’ was used as a pun by Shakespeare. In Hamlet in fact :slight_smile:

Hamlet: Lady, shall I lie in your lap?

Ophelia: No, my lord.

Hamlet: I mean, my head upon your lap?

Ophelia: Ay, my lord.

Hamlet: Do you think I meant country matters?

:wink:

2 Likes

@jaquo - I think my guest, who in the “share this info only with your host” field, said "read more Shakespeare, " clearly should have booked with you. :smiley:

2 Likes

Now our guests are going to give us a reading list?!
I hope you had a good laugh at that. I took a Shakespeare Course in college that doesn’t mean you should use that word. Trying to make others feel inferior does not make you superior.

Huh? Not sure your point. If you are thinking Shakespeare is high brow reading, it’s not. Remember Shakespeare played to the groundlings and was the Saturday Night Live of his day. Quite the opposite in fact. Hamlet is one of my very favorites, and so is Shakespeare as an author …and I don’t believe that makes me a snob.

1 Like