Unfair review - would you contact your guest or just leave it like that

nothing truly horrific, just a slightly unjust review which has left a very bad taste in my mouth especially since i did my very best, catered my guests’ extra requests and had a very friendly conversation with them.

i guess i’ve come to a point where i am going to land all my frustration with the review system on one of my guests (the current one being a true entitled c**t does not even know the word “thanks”)

i really feel like i need some explanation but don’t want to be a dick and harrass former guests…maybe i just need to count to 100 before writing anything.

Just my opinion but I would forget it and move on. The review will soon be buried by new ones.

2 Likes

But… .to reduce your frustration levels, write “mock” reviews to get it all out there. Then you can greet your next guests refreshed. I’ll go first.

“Molly and Frank were demanding guests and I did my best to meet their numerous needs. Unfortunately, neither Molly nor Frank’s parents taught them the power of the words “please” and “thank you.” If you enjoy being a modern butler, you would enjoy having them stay in your home.”

9 Likes

Don’t cater to guests “extra requests”, especially if they seem “entitled”; it won’t get you any better reviews. “Sorry, no.” is easy to say. If numerous guests ‘zing’ you on the same thing, then it’s time to change that ‘thing’ – whatever it is – that is wrong. Otherwise forget it and move on.

Too many hosts agonize over reviews. Unless you’re getting consistent negative reviews, don’t worry.

7 Likes

no negative reviews so far. the only time i agreed with my guests was last summer when in the middle of a heat wave the aircon broke down and it was unbearably hot.

to be honest, only 1 out of 10 is such a douche, otherwise i feel that if i cater some smaller things (give an extra towel etc) they are more likely to give 5 stars. most guests leave super satuisfied and they emphasize in their reviews the hospitality and the small things such as our personal travel guide for the city.

the current lady wanted extra frying pans, cooking oil, pepper, she is not happy that the television is in the local language except for a few English channels, she was super worried about her gluten free diet despite me explaining her that in a European city it is not a problem to keep your gluten free diet and so on. i provided all that tried to make her feel secure and never heard a thank you.

this is the first time i am really going to write what i think.

1 Like

@Andras, I’m just going to say that that is a VERY bad word.

In reply to your question, I personally would contact the guest and ask what you could have done to earn a 5 star review from them. I did this once when a Canadian woman left me a 3 for overall experience. I think the trick is to write to them as though you are shocked and hurt (even though you’re really pissed off). Her response to me was that she thought a 3 was “fine” and that’s what she thought my place was. Nice enough, but not a 5 star hotel or anything. She offered to change her review, but would only go up to 4 stars so I told her thanks but don’t bother. In the end, at least I knew what she was thinking and I felt better.

2 Likes

i know, that is why i left out some characters. :slight_smile:

this is what i am contemplating doing i am just not sure whether i should rather just let it go and leave this issue alone.

The fact that you consider this an acceptable word for any woman speaks volumes, missing letters or not. It is a truly ugly way to describe anyone.

12 Likes

i was friendly towards her and helped her in every way i could. i found her behaviour and lack of politeness just as unacceptable as the word itself.

but to be fair, i am a bit upset now…

I think a collective lesson we hosts have learned is:
Giving entitled guests more perks does not lead to a better review. Let bad reviews go and pay them no mind. Easier said than done, but it is possible! I recommend venting here and not validating the review with a public reply. Let it disappear off your page when the new good reviews roll in.

4 Likes

Okay…I wasn’t going to comment, but I see two of you ladies already did.

Andras - where are you from? I am female who loves to cuss up a storm with the rest of them…but using the “C” word to describe your current entitled guest…GEEZ!!!

If you are a male American…you MUST know that is the most disgusting word to call even the lowest of females.

2 Likes

I reserve the “c” word for political sleazeball Ann Coulter. Sorry, not sorry.

I had a Japanese student in the mid 90’s who came into class with a t-shirt that said “Phillies C**+” on it. She was one of the first to arrive to class but there were a few students in the classroom when she walked in. The look on all of our faces! I called her out into the hall and told her she couldn’t wear it. She immediately crossed her arms in front of her chest covering the offending word and asking what it meant. Poor thing was mortified. She’d gotten it at a street vendor in Tokyo. All she thought was that is was some cool American logo. The Phillies Blunt shirt wouldn’t have been allowed either though. I walked her down to the office so they could call someone to bring her a different shirt. I didn’t explain what the word meant and the older woman working in that office didn’t know what it meant. LOL.

3 Likes

I am not American, not even native speaker. The c word in Britain is certainly not a nice way to call a lady but you lot seem to overreact this a tad.

Let me rephrase: she is not a c**t, she is just an entitlrd, not very polite person. Can we close the issue?

2 Likes

Good to know you are not American and the word does not come across so vulgar when used in Britain. That’s why I asked!!

Being from the Uk but living in Spain I was initially shocked that the word coño is used as a flippant insult but you do get used to it. Try calling someone ‘son of a b***h’ here and you better run!

4 Likes

Thank you for saying that. I had solid 5 star reviews until that one dreaded guest. But I have so many great reviews - it’s just too easy to focus on the negative. JAQUO is right too, soon it will be buried by more positives. We shouldn’t let ourselves be “bullied” by those negative guests. Would be nice if Airbnb could think of a constructive way to allow hosts to be protected from unnecessary ugly reviews.

3 Likes

Agree with Tina, profanity is very cultural.

3 Likes

Spot on. Cono is heard even on daytime tv in Spain.

LOL!!! You are my hero!

1 Like

A trick I learned subbing at the high school was to have them turn their offending shirts inside out.

1 Like