Underwhelming Stay as a Guest

I don’t quite understand having furniture in an str that’s too heavy to move to clean under and behind. If felt pads are put under the legs, you can at least push/slide it even if it’s heavy.

Unless it’s on carpeting of course. But carpeting should be banned altogether. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Yep, I agree. I was just talking to 'imself the other evening about when we were kids and how terribly unhygienic things were. All that fitted carpet and then someone would come home and someone else would say “ooh, someone’s trodden in something…”

The olden days were very smelly. :poop:

1 Like

I totally agree that a 3 sounds fair. This wasn’t a crash pad! And the dirt went beyond one rushed cleaning. A cheap youth hostel has higher standards by far.

I am not a nit-picker, but the dirty toilet seat alone would have had me on the phone, or outta there.

Enough to turn your friends off to AirBnb permanently- poor you!

1 Like

I just noticed something. You know as hosts we can watch the countdown to when the review is due, but there is nothing like that as a guest. I just looked because I was wondering how many more days I have to figure out what to say and there’s nothing, no “you have 9 days to write a review”. There is just a large display of stars that are beckoning to be ticked (or not).

1 Like

Interesting! Let us know if that changes as the deadline approaches.

3 Likes

I don’t know and your report is the first I’ve heard of it. It seems like a very distinct host advantage. I can see why they wouldn’t advertise it but it certainly contradicts all the Airbnb is guest centric info we usually get.

Yes. And I’d do it after so you don’t get a retaliatory review from the host.

First draft:

"While my group appreciated the beauty and unique features of this (fill in the blank with an appropriate word) listing, we wouldn’t stay again or recommend it to others. The primary issues, among many, were that the listing was dirty and missing amenities like soap and shampoo. We could have asked the host to help out with some of these but he insisted on barging in without notice and without a mask as a global pandemic rages on. The lack of cleanliness is one safety issue, the insistence on doors remaining unlocked is another. These problems are Airbnb policy violations but we didn’t have the time or ability to find a different place to stay on short notice. "

2 Likes

Yes, that makes sense. Of course. Odd that I’d miss that as a guest when I wouldn’t as a host.

Btw, here is one of the reviews he left for someone. It seems strange:

Classic Asian-American Family with Grandfather, and Gandmother, in tow, fashionably dressed, polite and clean to a fault.

I believe this is a fair review, my sister rented a vrbo property last year. It was remote and quite a treck, when she got there it had not been cleaned at all. She did all the laundry and cleaning, host refunded her cleaning fee, she was happy. What I’m saying is every guest is different. Let the host know but mention it, it’s a significant amount.

I don’t know whether to avoid staying here because of his comma errors, capitalization errors or stereotyping of ethnic groups in a public review.

3 Likes

What does “fashionably dressed” actually mean…?

2 Likes

For this host, probably cheongsams for the women and Mao suits for the men. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Wow. Blatant racial stereotyping.

I wonder what “classic” sterotype he would fit you into. :thinking:

This guy may be an accomplished carpenter, but he seems otherwise decidedly odd.

2 Likes

Well I can tell you that I forgot to wear my tennis skirt and argyle sweater. Oops.

2 Likes

Did you say you have a VW van?

"Nice hippies in the typical VW van with cousins and dog in tow. Strange obsession with leaving a place cleaner than they found it. Not what I expected from hippies. "

5 Likes

Just a Golf. But my parents had the van in the 70s.

I’m afraid that he will say something about our dog barking at him when he popped into the house. She’s not aggressive, so she only barked, loudly, but still only barking but he seemed dismayed about it. From her point of view, he was an intruder. From my POV too for that matter.

But we travel a lot with her and it would be unfair for her to be represented like that because he just burst in, it was alarming and I’m not even a dog. I’d be pissed if another host were to turn us down because of whatever bizarro way he describes her in the review. “Classic vicious dog…”

Yep, he would have noticed that.

Odd review if you ask me.

1 Like

I’m starting think that he has the guests clean for the next guest without disclosing it. Apparently the guests before us were slobs but the review he got from the guests after us mentioned how clean it was :smirk:

1 Like

I’ve owned more VW’s then you would want to know about, but so many things going wrong with them that I swore them off years ago, bugs, buses and wagons, oh my!

1 Like

I think you could come up with an appropriate response if he does. I certainly wouldn’t worry about it.

“Yes, of course, our dog, like most dogs, is protective of us and isn’t accustomed to someone she doesn’t know barging in without even knocking.”

1 Like

I’ve owned nearly exclusively VWs in my adult life. I bought myself the Cabrio convertible just out of college and then traded it in for a new model of the same the last year that they made them for the US market. I then went without a vehicle for many years (NYC) and when it was time to buy one we got a Golf (which is the Cabrio body) with a sunroof (a very poor substitute for a convertible ). I really do like the way it drives but that could be because I drive a stick and they make good manuals; however, the stupid sunroof (really, what’s the point, lol) started leaking a few years ago and it’s been nothing but a hassle, we’ve put so much into having the leak fixed and it is never is.

But flash forward 2021 and we have a savings account filled for a new car and damn no one has any in stock, but we are not getting another VW. I am sad to see the brand decline but it has. And there isn’t even a bug anymore or a proper van or a convertible.

1 Like