Underwhelming Stay as a Guest

A friend bought a new one when she moved back east. Not sure she had it 10 years, lots of expensive electrical problems. Her replacement car is not a VW.
She and I had the old VW’s back in the day.

1 Like

Classic sub-standard host with intrusive habits, and a dirty and inaccurate listing, in tow, fully dressed except for the required face mask in a pandemic, arrogant and aloof to a fault.

7 Likes

:rofl: :clap::rofl: :clap::rofl: :clap: :rofl:

Better delete your post then, before someone at Air figures out they missed one more guest-centric opportunity …

1 Like

I vote to keep it short (3-4 lines) so people will read it & you don’t leave the wrong impression on future hosts (for you)

Here’s my rough draft:

NO keys/codes & we were REQUIRED to leave doors UNLOCKED even when home; so dirty we had to spend hrs cleaning upon arrival, many advertised amenities missing, rotting food in fridge, etc. Couldn’t inform the host of issues after first contact because he just barged in the unlocked door…no mask…no social distancing, startling our normally quiet pup into barking.

1. I don’t really think the barking pup line is needed but thought you might want it since you’re afraid he may say something about it.

2. I wouldn’t waste precious review space advertising his woodwork. He’ll do that himself in the listing & I don’t think it buys you anything with future hosts. Just my 2 cents.

3. I wrote the “inform the host of issues” that way (“after first contact”) because I didn’t want it to look like you were wanting to complain to the host over and over (not appealing to future hosts) but didn’t due to his behavior

2 Likes

I sort of disagree on that point. Just because when I see reviews that are nothing but complaints, where the guest couldn’t find anything at all positive to say (I realize there are some places that are actually total dumps with no redeeming features, that would deserve that, but JJD indicated that wasn’t the case here), I kind of feel like the guest is a glass half empty person and that nothing would please them. Especially if the guy has some good reviews, it could end up looking like an outlier.

I wouldn’t effuse about his woodwork, but would start off with something like, “This place had the potential to provide a wonderful experience, given the unique attractiveness of the space and the advertised amenities. However…”

That at least makes it come across as having some balance and showing that the guest had appreciation for something.

And I might end with a line about had the guest been travelling alone, she would have cancelled immediately after seeing how dirty it was, but they decided to make the best of it, given there would have been 4 of them and the dog to try to find alternative accommodation for.

3 Likes

I like this last part very much. Ok, I hear you. Let me try again ;-)…

If I were traveling alone I would have canceled after seeing how dirty this home was but I wasn’t so wanted to try to make the best of it. We appreciated the beautiful, handcrafted woodwork throughout but unfortunately there were serious issues even beyond the lack of cleanliness. NO keys/codes & we were REQUIRED to leave doors UNLOCKED even when home; many advertised amenities missing, rotting food in the fridge, etc. Most disturbing was the host barging in on us via the unlocked doors…including being maskless with no attempt at social distancing…it was quite disturbing.”

I feel like it can be shorter/more concise, but this is all I got tonight :sweat_smile:. Give her a tweak for me!

4 Likes

I have read a number of cases where the host has accessed the listing without the guests permission and they have been dropped of a cliff. Breeching privacy is a serious issue.

5 Likes

Yes, I mentioned that earlier upthread. If she were actually to call Airbnb to report that, instead of just mentioning it in the review, it would result in an immediate suspension of the listing.

2 Likes

I learned to drive in a Red 1965 VW Bug. Straight drive (of course) & no A/c. Basic. Ran forever. Dad finally sold it in 2017.

2 Likes

Urban myth. If Air was guest-centric we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Air is Air-centric.

5 Likes

An electric van and Westphalia camper are on the horizon.

I miss having a car I can fix with a few simple tools. I owned a van (swapped the engine) and 3 beetles (one more engine swap and one new from the dealer 1972 Super Beetle, with legroom and a heater that actually worked).

Unfortunately my ex got the Super Beetle (and the payments) and she proceeded to dent it up before it was paid off. My last VW was a diesel Rabbit pickup in the early 80s. Got 40MPG US (17km/L).

1 Like

Eagerly awaiting the next installment. First, the review he leaves you, then how he responds to the review you leave him.

3 Likes

Come on, @JJD, we are dying here!

4 Likes

Oy.

I hate it (why can’t it just be better?) but it will be done tomorrow. And I will report back!

3 Likes

The silver lining is I finally have something to look forward to, and hopefully a brilliant distraction from hours of prepping the walls and trimwork (pre-paint) upstairs.

2 Likes

I think it’s great. Yeah, it’s long, but there’s a lot of ground to cover.

1 Like

Ooooh, just my humble opinion so file it accordingly, but with so many things listed in such detail it makes it seem nitpicky (I know that’s not really the case but I have the insider view) & takes away from the most important items.

I’d focus on those and summarize the others where you can.

I like the last few sentences the best.

1 Like

I believe those are @KKC’s! I took from each of you and really appreciate all the help. For some reason this is so hard for me. He deserves it but I can’t help but be a little empathetic, as a host. I don’t know why, I would never host so poorly.

2 Likes

Mine are at the beginning, but not really. Words belong to all of us and unless you are taking them and making money off of them they should be free for everyone. :wink:

2 Likes