Underwhelming Stay as a Guest

I once checked out a listing, I think in New Mexico, because the guy had posted about guests who complained about ants and cleanliness. More than one guest.

He was an artist and musician and collector of cool stuff, his casitas were really eclectic, but they were so crammed full of stuff there was no way on earth he could have ever cleaned those places satisfactorily. Every surface was loaded with things, almost every inch of wall space was covered. It would have taken me 3 days to clean even one little casita to guest standards. There could have been a dead rat in there, never mind ants, and it would have taken days to find it.

We tend to think of hoarders as people who have piles of what looks mostly like garbage or junk from second hand and dollar stores, but artistic people with an eye for cool and unusual stuff can be hoarders, too.

For $1000 a night I would expect everything to be perfect. He sounds more like a slum lord. I would give him a 1 for every category. He really should not be hosting.

1 Like

Maybe “cousine”? Cousinine? IDK. Something that sounds more like zeen or seen not zin or sin?

You’re a generation off. It’s your grandparent who had to have a sibling for you to have a second cousin.

My grandkids are second cousins to my brother’s grandkids. (what I wrote upthread was an error)

Those kids don’t share a grandparent, but they share greatgrandparents, my brother’s and my parents.

Here ya go. A chart. Also talks about 2nd cousins

You would be doing her a great favor by letting her know that her cleaner is missing something important. The reddish color can be either algae or bacteria. Either way, it needs to be cleaned (or swapped for a clean one if it’s a fabric curtain) every turnover.

2 Likes

This host does not deserve a 5 so don’t give one. I would not detail issues in a review since its tough to get guests to read beyond a quick line.

1 Like

Especially mucky toilets. That is really, really gross. No matter how wonderful the woodwork, the view, the location, the decor, the bottles of wine, the treats, the friendly hosts or anything else, cleaning loos is just not on. Totally unacceptable.

1 Like

Orangey color on the bottom of a shower curtain is from minerals in the water, usually iron.

1 Like

You had me at “dirty toilet seats” Ugh!!
Review accordingly. This host needs a severe reality check! Sorry you were subjected to such a disaster of a place.

1 Like

4* is being generous.

He needs to know his cleaner isn’t doing the job. Or if he’s cleaning, it isn’t being done properly.

Melted fireplace remote? Unacceptable.

Pool on electric or gas heat and not warm? Unacceptable.
NOTE: Mine is solar and gets chilly in the winter especially with the temps in the 50s at night lately. Unless I put in a $1,200 electric heat pump, I don’t suggest swimming in the winter. I don’t charge enough for that.

I’d be horrified at having to clean a yellow and brown toilet. Pink mold growing on showers? That takes a while to grow.

This. I wouldn’t want to stay there and would have complained bitterly to him and Air.

1 Like

In French you do have cousins and cousines. Maybe that’s what you’re thinking of.

My friend who became paralyzed two years ago had a son and a daughter that we knew about. Turns out there was another daughter that he sort of knew about and never told anyone. That woman contacted his daughter last year and wanted to be in touch. I don’t know if it was via DNA or something else. They are each happy to have each other and when he was told about it all he readily fessed up and told his part of the story. So happy ending all around for them.

I have a second cousin once removed on my mom’s side who messaged me via the DNA site. She remembered my grandfather who was her grandfather’s brother. Interesting to think of the ways we can be connected to people who are strangers.

4 Likes

8th cousin? We all start to be related if we go back that far :wink:

Wow, a half sister you didn’t know you had! That’s cool. That happened to a friend of mine who was adopted and found the family of her biological father. And her half-sister is so much like her. They even have the same mannerisms. And when she met her biological dad’s family, she was greeted by dead silence for a minute, which was awkward. Then they all started talking and said they were speechless because she looked exactly like her father, who had died many years before.

What you had said originally was that you didn’t know how you could have a second cousin because your great-grandparents, not your grandparents, were only children.

For sure I’d have to have a sibling for my grandkids to have second cousins on my side of the family.

1 Like

There was something scandalous when my friend found her dad’s family. Her half-sister is almost her same age, and they found out they also have a half brother out there somewhere, also the same age, they haven’t yet found.

Turned out her dad was one of those crazy good-looking charismatic bad boys who fathered 3 children by 3 different young women when he was 17. With my friend’s biological mom, it apparently was a date rape, so when she also found her mother, she wanted nothing to do with her. It was an episode of her life she had tried to forget and had never told her husband or other two children about the baby she gave up for adoption as a teenager.

I asked for advice on how to review a host in October, and boy howdy did I learn from the responses! My # 1 takeaway was that I tend to be overly critical when staying at Airbnbs, more than likely because I go over the top w/ my own listing.
But what you’re describing is just really bad hosting. The cleanliness issues certainly deserve 1*, and the lack of COVID protocol is reason to leave public comment. I could go on and on, considering the multiple problems you encountered, but suffice it to say, I’d be leaning towards a 3* review, at best. Looking forward to “the rest of the story” after you complete the review.

4 Likes

After I moved back east, I ended up volunteering on a farm a couple days a week. I asked the farmer where part of the farms name came from as it was my last name.

I had never met anyone in my whole life except relatives with the name and turns out half of the operation was a person with my last name.

Eventually I met the sister who was the genealogist in the family and we went over all her records and think we figured we were 3rd or 4th cousins once removed, whatever the heck that means.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around much after great grandparents, the 3rd and 4th stuff if too confusing especially on the tree when lots of them have the same name.

Anyway, the whole thing was so exciting to have revealed.

3 Likes

Time for a baguette (fm?)

Definitely write a completely honest review. I host a 7 bedroom house which is completely for my guests. my hand ache after all the cleaning I do for them after the previous guests leave, I need to lie down for a while! This man is not a serious host at all, and shouldn’t be able to continue hosting for a top dollar rate while giving such poor service. Let rip!

4 Likes

Some time ago, we stayed at an Airbnb rental that was perfect in every way. (And bear in mind that I’m a terrible perfectionist). I hope to go back there soon - it was wonderful.

But, due to the curiosity of my cat (long story), I was obliged to move the very, very, very heavy mahogany king-sized bed. It was so heavy so I could only move it sideways a few inches but my goodness - the fluff and dust that was under there was astonishing.

Of course, I can understand - it took me ages to move the bed just a couple of inches so that’s why the cleaners don’t clean under there every turnover but still…

The rental was brilliant in every way and sparkling clean, but I was still tempted to mention the under-bed horror in the review. I didn’t because how many guests move the bed? But I did suggest in the private feedback that he should have a quiet word with his cleaners about it. (I’m sure that they all now think I was a horrible guest).

But it just goes to show that we never know what guests are going to poke their noses into. Had it not been for the bloody cat…

1 Like