Ummmm NO, you cannot bring hookers here

Hi @RachelB,

This should not have happened. Your review should have shown up after 14 days regardless whether she posted or not, as @Helsi also said. Did you report this to Airbnb? Twitter is an easy way to do so.

2 Likes

I didn’t realise that it automatically goes up after 14 days! It wasn’t a bad review anyway… it was my second guest and I just thought that was how they usually left the place! But then I didn’t lie and say she was clean, that’s for sure. Once, I realised what was going on I contacted Airbnb and they shrugged it off.

On a happier note, I tested out a cleaner for my Airbnb on Airtasker. She stole a bunch of things. I contacted Airtasker, and within an hour they sent her an email saying “You have 48hours to return the goods or we will be giving the police your full details including address”. It was a bit awkward (as she obviously didn’t want to hand them over to me face to face), so I let her drop it off at a friends shop. I was SO impressed by Airtaskers speedy and effective solution!

4 Likes

They were ok with your review not appearing at all? How unprofessional.

It sounds like Airtasker should vet their cleaners more carefully.

2 Likes

Curious…what did she take? And did she think you wouldn’t notice?

I wouldn’t be impressed with them they employed a cleaner who stole from you. Did you ask them what checks they make and references they take before letting cleaners in your home.

This would be a PR disaster for them if other hosts knew they employ cleaners who steal from their hosts.

2 Likes

We had a similar situation. I think. We had a lady stay with us 2 days we thought airbnb does verifications of ID’s before sending them over to us for safety reasons. She had heavy make up but was sweet. She looked like she may have dig the deed for money. Cant say for sure. We have cameras and we saw her smuggle men that were old for the night. We addressed and mentioned that the reservation is 1 person and no unauthorized guests. She said that her friend just came to drop her as she dint have a car. 2nd night another older man comes at 1:00 am and spends the night and is telling us bye. We dint write her a review since she was local as we weren’t sure. It is very difficult to say that as your assuming without proof. It seems again like guest can do whatever in a host home and get away with anything by writing a bad review if things don’t go their way. We need more control & power.

Again… you can take the power and control. Don’t wait for someone to give it to you. Don’t rent to locals. It’s that easy.

4 Likes

Kona are you full all the time? I’m assuming your in Hawaii. We have instabook. Was scared to get off of it to see the response rate. Just curious! Thank you.

Full all the time? Well not in the summer. High season is November through May. Then it drops off as it does every year since Ive been doing this (2010) . I would say that is a pattern. I don’t have IB and never will. Yes, I’m in Hawaii, in Kona.

2 Likes

@mummy Airbnb does ensure a guest has photo ID IF you ask for this as part of your listing set up.

I agree with @konacoconutz as hosts we need to take power and control.

Do you have on your listing that no guests that haven’t booked and paid are allowed at your listing?

Do you ask guests the purpose or their trip and why they choose to stay with you? This would have helped you decide whether it was a legitimate booking.

If you saw a guest on the premises who hadn’t booked the first night you would have known whether they stayed or not and could have said to her if this happens again, you will need to cancel her booking straight away and she will need to leave.

This would have meant she was much more unlikely to have a ‘guest’ on the second night.

Leaving reviews in this sort of situation is so important so your fellow guests are warned.

2 Likes

Should ask if they are bonded. Here in the states, most of the bigger services put up 10,000 bond to ensure that if something like that happens, the money would be tapped into to pay for damages

Today I got an instant reservation, not sure if its a third party booking already, but he/she said
"Hi yes I come alone…I m comming to see a nice history of city as for chasing girls…so maybe some of days I ll have some visitors…but not overnights…and if I don’t really know which day…

All The Best
Gyfu
No profile picture, no previous reviews, on air since 2015, y my house rules I said " only registered guests alowed"
So, thank you Gyfu for your sincerity, I’m calling Air right away to cancel the reservation.

7 Likes

In Budapest motels do not exist, so we need to be be careful not allowing one day bookings or two days booking on weekends, and locals.

2 Likes

That’s precisely why I don’t really like instant-booking. I really enjoy having the discretion to decide whether to have a guest or not. Every once in a blue moon you’ll run across a real crappy guest, and there’s always tell-tale signs in their profiles. Airbnb made a real big push towards hosts agreeing to instant booking.

In the past, I was second in command at our town’s second largest landlord. I managed about 500 units of rental housing. Our local non-profit housing agencies hired a consultant to come give presentations to all their employees, especially maintenance staff, and invited all other local landlords and hotels to send their staffs. So I went, as well as our maintenance staff. We learned what to watch for, like the kind of garbage that meth cooks generate, physical appearance of users, etc. The next week, one of our “suite” hotels helped the cops bust some guests who were getting ready to cook a bunch of meth (which would have shut down the whole wing of the hotel because of hazmat contamination). 3 weeks later we were able to evict a meth head tenant by giving him a rent nonpayment notice 4 days earlier than he was used to getting it, so he missed the payment deadline in the notice, so when we went to court the eviction was nailed.

So yes, you can tell drug addicts (at least for meth and opiates) by their appearance and behavior, once you learn the signs.

1 Like