Ummmm NO, you cannot bring hookers here

Yes, sparkparker, I agree with you and there’s useful information in the link you provided:
I had no idea of the devious methods used to trap out young ones into prostitution.

My deepest issue with the OP, as stated in my post above to her, is that she included race as a criterion for deciding the guest’s guest was a hooker.

I pledge to call out racism, wherever I find it.

4 Likes

@konacoconutz has a good point—let’s not jump on the OP here. The topic is of value because the reality is all hosts may encounter this situation.

The typed word is harsh and lacks all the non-verbals that soften the spoken word. Also, this forum is consists of people from all over the world. Social norms differ widely.

Humor can be viewed as inappropriate but as a nurse I think sometimes we must find humor in awful situations because the negative can eat us alive. It doesn’t mean the situation isn’t serious.

9 Likes

Point taken. I do agree.

5 Likes

My second Airbnb guest was a girl that had one good review (on holidays with a girlfriend) and her profile pic was in a diving mask.

She stayed for a weekend. As I was just starting out, I left the cleaners/linen cabinet unlocked in case she needed anything extra.

When I came back (after only 2 days) to clean she had:

• Gone into the cupboard and used every single towel in there. 12 bath sheets in total. (Ended up being $80 to launder)
  • I have little organic travel packs with shampoo, conditioner and body wash. She went through and took the body wash out of all of them and left 12 of them empty on the floor. ($60)
  • The whole apartment was covered in glitter. It took two days to clean, and I’m still finding glitter.
  • She used every single cup and glass in the house, around 30 all up and left them dirty in the sink.
  • She had chopped off her very long acrylic nails and just left them on the floor
  • She hadn’t tidied up at all, except emptying the bin next to the bed.

She never left a review so mine never went live.

When I asked my other Airbnb host friends what was going on, they told me what she actually was doing (I am so naive).

Annoyed that she was using my apartment for illegal activity, I contacted Airbnb who couldn’t care less.

Lessons I have learned:

• Don’t ever leave the linen closet open to guests, it’s takes only one person to ruin it for the rest.
  • Call the police next time there is illegal activity because Airbnb don’t care.
  • Sadly you have to look at someone’s profile and evaluate if they are dodgy or not. Since then I have cancelled one booking as after research I realised they were a scammer (reported to Airbnb to remove their profile (with plenty of evidence), and again they didn’t care).

Hi @RachelB

Sorry to hear about your experience.

The point I don’t understand is your comment that your review not sure because your guest didn’t leave one. Your review should have shown after 14 days regardless.

I do hope you sent her a bill through Airbnb for the additional costs you incurred.

In your situation I would contact Airbnb to ask them what happened with your review, unless you broke their review rules it should show.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree with you more. Yes, we have a duty to protect/safeguard people we suspect are vulnerable to exploitation of any kind, but to pass a judgement using race as a factor shocked me.

3 Likes

its funny how he said that she is leaving in few hours

2 Likes

I have friends of all ages, gender identities and, yes, race.They also sport vastly different clothing choices – I’m sure some posters here would decide several of them were hookers…

Should one of those friends visit me whilst I was staying at an airbnb, s/he would probably leave after a few hours.

My point here is this: not all guests’ visitors – of any age, sartorial choices, or race – who stay a few hours, are hookers.

3 Likes

While I agree in general, I do sense a very strong backlash against Airbnb, in our community. Therefore, I would hesitate to call the police except for very severe incidents. If the police are being bothered to sort out too many issues arising from Airbnb rentals, the negativity around Airbnb will only increase.

9 Likes

Totally agree with your decision.
If it doesn’t feel right, look right, be right, then it probably isn’t right.
Don’t worry about other opinions, it’s your house and you should feel “right” about every guest, if not, goodbye.

9 Likes

I keep getting the same problems… The guest books for one person, but more of them turn up and try to bargain.
Regarding hookers they do smooth operation and come in as married couple
Rajeev

1 Like

@aurakalari66 If I person books but more turn up you can refuse the booking,

Or say that you can’t check them in without them adding the second person to the booking. Ask them to go into their booking and add the second person. You accept the amendment. Simple.

If you think a hooker is involved, why not ask for ID’s?

1 Like

reminds me of the time I made a post about having had two meth heads stay at our place, and “how could I possible be a person QUALIFIED to recognize a meth head, when I saw one?” comment I got shot back at me. I guess everyone is entitled to view things differently. I stand by the criteria/discernment we use to filter out that kind of behavior, too. Not only is it a safety factor to consider for us, its also an extreme discourtesy to our great neighbors who live nearby to be less than prudent about who we might allow to stay in our house.

2 Likes

I don’t see how requesting an ID determines if the person is a prostitute or not. How do you think this would help identify a prostitute?

1 Like

Hi Thanks for Replying.
Yes that’s what we do but they settle for paying up there.
About I’d everyone has one, and in India records are pretty less

@aurakalari66

“…in India records are pretty less.”

Huh?

The OP stated that the guests come as a ‘married couple’. Asking for ID’s would help establish whether they were.

And if someone was a prostitute, they would be less likely to want to provide an ID>

1 Like

Yes, you are right. I missed the “non emergency” bit. Sorry about this.

Anyway, I am glad that I do collect local hotel taxes from my Airbnb guests, unlike many of my fellow hosts in Germany. So I guess this tax payment does give an entitlement to use public services, in return.

Well paying taxes, doesn’t mean you call emergency services for non emergencies. But certainly when there is violence or a safeguarding issue, they should be called.

If the young woman was under age she is NOT a hooker, she is being sex trafficked and is not able to fully consent to what is happening to her. I am saddened by the lack of compassion shown for someone who may be drugged, beaten and raped into this life. I agree that calling non emergency police was good because maybe they will catch the guy and the young woman can be saved.

7 Likes