Ultraviolet light

So I had the UV flashlight in my cart on Amazon for a while and was hesitant to buy it, I was not sure I wanted to know. OMG if a guest showed up with one I would be mortified! My clean shower, not so clean, the walls next to the toilet just ewe… My housekeeper and I will be using this for every turnover from now on. Also I have a place booked in July that is pet friendly and I am bringing my dog, I am going to use this to look at the rugs beforehand and take pictures so my dog does not get blamed.

Every host should have one, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SIR08C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RR

2 Likes

Don’t forget your yellow glasses:

1 Like

So the yellow glasses to protect my eyes? I do not see myself pointing the light at myself… Lol, I will get them because I am going to require my housekeeper to use the light. Thanks

RR

No, it enhances contrast. Just like when you use them to go shooting. :wink:

1 Like

You don’t actually need a light. An improvised one using your phone shows up as much as you want to know about :wink:

http://traquo.com/hosts-do-you-use-a-black-light/

1 Like

LED UV lights are not the greatest for all types of “things” you might encounter because of the narrow wavelengths they emit. Glasses do help with detection.

This link says it doesn’t exist or is private.

I restored it. Try again and let me know.

Works now.

[post must be 20 characters]

1 Like

For those of you that use the black light (@KKC for one): what cleaning products actually clean “biological specimens” so they are no longer detected by black light?

2 Likes

For around the toilet and wall I just use my regular cleaners/magic eraser/microfiber. For things like textiles I haven’t found anything to remove the chemical change that happens. For example I had a white blanket that I thought I saw “something” on. The black light showed a large area of “highlights.” I laundered twice and then gave up and moved the blanket to my area of the house. Same with carpets which is why I don’t have carpet in my part of the house. And the first time I find a “stain” in the Airbnb room I’ll be looking for new carpet or flooring.

1 Like

UV Lights are overrated.
Unless you exactly know what you are looking for, it will give a lot of false positives.

For example some cleaning products, and optical brighteners in laundry powder also give strange reflections under UV light.

1 Like

Well I am pretty sure the stuff near the toilet is pee and the spots in the shower are soap scum that has been missed. I am certain this will result in a cleaner listing.

RR

2 Likes

Hi RiverRockRetreat
Interesting, this is a good idea. UV flashlights are great, but many stains even when washed well still show up with a UV light. I have one for my own home and was appalled at the stains. I scrubbed until the cows home home, and was very disappointed when many of the stains still showed up in the UV, so I have given up the idea. I think if a guest showed up with a UV light in my place I would politely tell them they need to chill and rather enjoy their holiday.
Enjoy hosting
Al

3 Likes

A guest showing up with an UV light will be a pain in the **s.
They will make their stay a hell for you, with ridiculous requests and demands, and you will end up with a bad review anyways.

4 Likes

This is what I discovered. I also discovered I will never own wall to wall carpets again; at least not while I own dogs. Interestingly there are no spots on the carpet in my airbnb room. Even the one spot where a dog did have an accident there is no phosphorescence because it was poop and not pee. And in researching I discovered that some laundry products have whiteners that glow so treating the spots can make them more visible with black light.

As a host I use my black light as a tool to help me maintain the highest standards, nothing more. It’s not a magic wand. As a guest my standards are much lower. LOL.

3 Likes

I provide a black light flashlight for my guests - but for another reason. We have scorpions that love to wander around at night (including around the cabins, but rarely in them). Nothing shows up better under black light, and looks more alien, than a scorpion! A weird neon green color. Safety first!

2 Likes

I’ve stayed at Airbnb’s where it seems they don’t even turn on the regular lights to clean because its so dirty.

Jesus! I’m glad my mother in law didn’t have one of these when she came to visit!

1 Like