UK hosts, EU nationals and no deal Brexit

All those retirees will have to take their money elsewhere. Or is a property grab on the cards? (There’s one being proposed for UK landlords)

Prorogation was bad but the courts interfering in politics and the zombie MPs in parliament are worse. A general election is well overdue.

We are all entitled to an opinion @Jess1

Personally I am glad we don’t (yet) live in a dictatorship and that our legal system is able to overturn the decision of politicians who act illegally and undemocratically.

I am more worried about prime ministers who are so badly advised that they literally take the law into their own hands to get their own way.

I do worry about the financial, economic and social cost of crashing out.

1 Like

Well they can’t apply for settled status, as you know, unless they have been resident for five years - so not quite sure why you would suggest this as an option to your newly arrived to the the UK, EU guests @Jess1 ?

All they can do is apply for pre-settled status.

1 Like

Yep my suggestion was to apply for pre settled status, obviously. That’s also on the YouGov link I pasted here for you.

Yep in a dictatorship the political and judicial spheres are usually as one which is why I object to the courts being involved in politics. In the UK the separation of powers and a neutral judiciary are meant to maintain democracy.
The government clearly cannot govern right now so the right and proper thing is a vote of no confidence and a general election. The electorate are ultimately sovereign, not MPs or courts.
Whether or not people are concerned about Brexit that’s no excuse for constitutional abuses.

1 Like

I am left feeling really quite scared by what has taken place in Parliament this week. We are seriously contemplating leaving our lovely cottage and moving back to Deal. We use the pub next door rarely now, because of the increasingly nasty rhetoric becoming louder and more vociferous.

We’ve always known that this area is heavily pro Brexit but the anger is now well beyond palpable; it has overt overtones of racial hatred; hatred of “otherness” is openly discussed and I am seem as the other. We live in the, perceived, nicest house in the village, Mr J has a “posh” job in the City, I am viewed as privileged poshie for running a B&B when I don’t need to. Allegedly.

I’ve listened tonight to someone saying that yesterday’s Parliamentary shenanigans has pushed asylum seekers coming over in small boats off the front pages of The Sun (tabloid…) and that the Royal Navy frigates are not doing their job. Said asylum seekers should be shot out of the water, not given social housing.

We haven’t got any bloody social housing left, wtf. And asylum seekers are being banged up in detention centres. We have one locally in Dover, at least not run by G4S.

Rant over, but I’m feel so despairing. With a sense of humour failure.

Your post is horrible to read :cry:. Move to Scotland? It is a completely different atmosphere here (well, apart from certain areas of Glasgow…)

Yes scary times. The EU’s fortress Europe has employed the undemocratic Turkish leadership (who have imprisoned thousands of their own political prisoners) to detain migrants in Syria in inhumane conditions. We need a worldwide response to the refugee crisis and international policies which don’t displace people by war in the first place and help rebuild countries. Even if we wanted to we couldn’t take them all in. It’s terrible people are having inhumane reactions and talking of shooting them. I’m sorry people’s frustrations have been taken out on you. I personally don’t think the EU empire is the solution, and the fact it has become militarised and pitches itself against The States, Russia and China scares me. It’s really Orwellian.

T’would be Ireland I’m afraid, as I have a passport/ Nationality. But we will stay, but probably move back to be surrounded by old friends of more moderate spirit in Deal.

The thought of clearing out the garage, cellar, garden hut and loft fills me with horror though…

Equilibrium being restored with wine.

So many thanks for your support.

3 Likes

Slow January in the Cotswolds. Anyone else experiencing the same? Last year we took 15 advance bookings in January this year 4. We were fully booked through January last year. This year we had none. What’s going on? We have had only 1 booking for this year from the EU all the other foreign bookings are from the USA or Australia. Why would “our friends and neighbours in the EU” want to come here if they think they are going to stand in a queue at immigration and will not have reciprocal health or driving licences?

We are still in alignment right now, so this won’t be the reason for your downturn. EU driving licences will be valid in the UK. If anything changes it will be a simple form.

Likewise the EHIC is valid until the end of 2020. As I understand it UK citizens in the EU have their EHIC treatment paid for by the UK NHS. I suppose then after the end of the year it depends on whether EU countries opt into the scheme for their citizens when they’re here. Of course private holiday health insurance is normal for any tourist.

The issue as you know is not the reality but the perception that the UK doesn’t welcome those from the EU @Jess1

Perhaps the UK should do a better of promoting the current state of affairs for those wanting to visit/work/study.

After the end of this year the likely scheme is a pass rather than visas. It would cost €7 and last 3 years.

The government is promoting the correct information, as am I. Please help to spread the word about the information above.
The problem is certain people have deliberately spread misinformation about Brexit for their own purposes. If our tourist industry suffers the responsibility will be with those that have lied as a part of their project fear.

I’m on the S-E coast of Kent, t’wixt Deal and Dover, and very much a summer destination. I would consider myself VERY lucky to have even 4 bookings in January, let alone Nov/Dec/Feb. This is my view after three years of trading; this year is my fourth.

I did notice fewer visitors from the EU at the beginning of last season, apart from people who were working in London and came for short breaks, and yes, more travellers from Oz and USA. Those who did come down from London did describe experiences of feeling unwelcome (here excepted…), as did a young British Asian couple.

Unfortunately I had to close at the end of August for a couple on months, so I had no further experience, but in general, I accept that I will be quiet in winter, so get on with maintenance and deep cleaning.

1 Like

From what I’ve read my impression is that tourism is up globally but down in some places like the US, and maybe the UK. Of course people are going to travel less to nations that promote anti-foreigner rhetoric, at least temporarily.

People are traveling more to exotic locations seeking experiences. Chinese travelers are the fastest growing sector and now with the coronavirus that will take a hit. All businesses have good and bad years and cycles. Speaking of cycles we are overdue for a recession so factor that into your reduced expectations as well. And the climate crisis is probably going to put an end to all this within my lifetime so there’s that.

1 Like

I am sure the government has much better resources and knowledge than I do to promote what will happen under Brexit @Jess1

The issue is the transition period is causing uncertainty and concern and there isn’t a clear source of advice. ( hence you having to use NI and US sources rather than quoting your own government’s position)

Personally I wouldn’t direct people to a US news channel as a source of information on what is happening in the UK.

And as you know whatever the government maybe saying, there are long term EU residents in the UK who fear for their future and the increasing racism that those from the EU or whom people assume are from the EU face.

I have a French friend who is a police community support officer who gives up her time for free to help her community. She often gets verbally and sometimes physically abused by people when she is volunteering, who think she is Eastern European and tell her to go back to her own country (and much worse) (she has lived in the UK longer than she has lived in France), she has also been spat at and physically assaulted.

Now she is giving up this role she has done for three years because of this abuse.

Whatever the government maybe saying, people go on their own direct experience or the scaremongering they read in the media and elsewhere.

My experience and the experience of hosts I know in London, Edinburgh, Brighton, Bristol, Manchester and Birmingham is that they are having fewer visitors from the EU compared with previous years.

1 Like

Yes. Thank you for your replies. It seems to me that is the perception that we have left ‘The EU Club’ and travel to the UK is likely to entail more difficulties might be having a psychological effect on potential travellers. I appreciate that we are now in a transition period but eu travellers might not appreciate that. If we are ‘open for business’ the Tourists Boards should be actively promoting the UK as a destination still. But are they?

1 Like