UK hosts, EU nationals and no deal Brexit

A shout out to UK hosts. Contrary to hype all EU nationals, with a job or evidence of self employment, will be granted the right to remain in the UK after 31st October. Long term holiday makers are unaffected.
I have just helped my two guests (a charming Parisian sommelier and the tidiest Romanian IT professional on the planet) by directing them to the gov.uk website to apply. I don’t normally allow mail at my address but will be doing so in this case should they need proof of residence before they move into their long term flats.

1 Like

Sorry that’s not actually true @Jess1

If you are from the EU (not the Irish Republic) and have been here for less than 5 years you will have to apply for ‘pre/unsettled status’. This only allows you to stay here for five years.

Only if you have lived here for five years continuously can you apply for ‘settled status’.

The government has the right to turn down EU citizens for either settled or unsettled status.

There is no guaranteed right to remain for EU citizens who have a job or who are self employed. The government can turn down anyone applying.

There is continuing confusion over EU citizens rights to live and work in the UK as various governments and home secretaries make announcements to what will happen to the 3.2 million EU citizens who live here.

3 Likes

Majority of my guests are EU nationals on a tourist basis. I presume nothing will happen for tourism. Also there are many UK nationals in EU countries who still have an uncertain future. I have 2 good friends from school who have lived in Spain for many years.

Both Spain and France have already agreed better rights for UK citizens post Brexit in their countries than our government is granting to their citizens @Wexter

In terms of tourism the issue is likely to be linked to issues around delays at border control which may mean people from the EU will chose to travel elsewhere in the EU instead.

UK passport holders are likely to face delays at border control in EU countries.
Fortunately I have dual nationality so this is unlikely to be an issue for me :slight_smile:

Difficult to know at this stage what impact this will have on UK airbnb hosts who rely on European guests.

I said right to remain not settled status or citizenship, yes those are after 5 years. The government will struggle to deport anyone unless they have good reason eg criminal record. These are the rights for people with pre settled status:

Your rights with settled or pre-settled status

You’ll be able to:

• work in the UK
  • use the NHS
  • enrol in education or continue studying
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK

I’m not sure what additional rights you say France and Spain are offering?

Actually what you said @Jess1 is:-

This is simply not true. They will only have the right to remain if they successfully apply for pre-settled or settled status.

1 Like

Yes Helsi pre settled status is what I referred to and quoted from the government website. Pre settled status appears to have the same rights as now from the list quoted. The Guardian is getting worse and worse, culminating this week in abusing Cameron over his child bereavement, anyway that’s by the by. I can’t see any additional rights Spain are offering.

I’m sorry?? I did not notice the Home Office struggle with deporting people of the Windrush generation, or their adult children.

I have been involved in five cases, in London, of ex members of my staff who have struggled to prove they have the right to be in the UK, under Theresa May’s so called “hostile environment”. All are descendants of the Windrush generation, with lengthy employment histories in Local Government, and of paying tax and National Insurance, to no avail.

All lost their right to work, lost their jobs, incomes and in a couple of cases, their homes. All are seeking compensation under the Home Office “scheme”. No one has received a penny to date.

We don’t know what goes on behind closed doors of Government.

2 Likes

As it says in the article @Jess1 they are guaranteeing rights in the event of a no deal, which the UK doesn’t.

Anyway back to airbnb related matters …

As is often said, the devil is in the detail.

Right now in Andalucia the local government (who implement the law) are making things difficult over healthcare. It doesn’t matter what they say in Madrid, it is how decrees are interpreted and implemented locally that really matters. Just now, it’s a mess.

JF

3 Likes

This is NOTHING to do with Windrush, which I happen to think was an odious scandal.

Yes re Airbnb matters the best advice to EU guests in the UK who wish to stay is to apply for pre settled (or settled status after 5 years) and be hopeful. That is what I recommended and I stand by that.

Well, the cat has been well and truly thrown amongst the pigeons today.

JF

2 Likes

It has indeed but hardly surprising it’s been declared unlawful @JohnF

1 Like

Yes, it’s a complete mess. Looks like Spanish government has now done a U turn on UK citizens rights here, all now dependent on a level of reciprocity with Spanish citizens in UK. Fresh elections here in November aren’t helping either.

JF

2 Likes

What extraordinary times we are living through. Even Michael Dobbs couldn’t make the last three months up, let alone the last three years.

I had just settled down to hear chapter and verse on Radio 4’s World at One, when we had a bloody power cut. No radio,TV,internet, and not back up until 2.30 pm.

2 Likes

So true. A propos, I saw this posted today:

I just realised that this has been around for a couple of years. It’s not quite so funny now :frowning:

4 Likes

Sting (in 1993) sang

"You could say I lost my faith in the people on TV
You could say I’d lost my belief in our politicians
They all seemed like game show hosts to me…

2 Likes

I think it is still funny, although in an ironic sense, and still relevant. It even got a laugh out of Mr Joan this morning. That’s quite an achievement!

2 Likes