Type of guest to avoid?

I thought so :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Well, Iā€™ll just have to repeat ā€¦ Iā€™m 70 next birthday, Iā€™m tech-savvy enough to have taught my grandson to create a website, and Iā€™ve never heard of half of those things ā€¦ so just you leave those 55-year old youngsters alone!

oh, and Iā€™m officially adorable according to the last Airbnb host I stayed with!

8 Likes

That would not have worked with loony Gillian.

Hahaā€¦now she was in her own category for sure - a witch!!

1 Like

I"m done with Americans traveling to Spain and expecting Little USA. I told my husband Iā€™m going to start discriminating against anyone from the US, that doesnā€™t live in NYC or SF.

Before everyone starts throwing flame, I am American and Euro, so I can make these type of salacious statements :joy::joy:

@Malagachica We have had a rash of complaining, US centric, gusts this seasonā€¦have you experienced similar?

3 Likes

Me too! I am British (which means European to me) but have lived in the USA for twenty two years.I try not be be biased in either direction but it can be hard :wink:

2 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA. It does to all our British friends as well.

@azreala I am an American also, but approach them all with a heightened degree of caution, they can go either way.

I have added this line lately: ā€œThe island is best suited for the self-sufficient at heart and resourceful in nature who will appreciate the opportunity of being truly detached from civilization at least for a few days.ā€

The above was a direct response to two suburbanites wanting air conditioning (in an island that is always breezy) and a pool before they could ā€˜convinceā€™ their circle of friends to ā€˜considerā€™ coming to the island. With a straight face, I told them, ā€˜Its ok, is booked already, a pityā€™. :sunglasses:

They did have a great time however because they were the ā€˜adventure extremistsā€™ :rolling_eyes: among their boring golf course clubbies.

2 Likes

I remember when the UK joined what was then called the Common Market. I was all for it because I thought it would mean cheaper cigarettes and booze :slight_smile: But whether the UK is in the EU (or whatever it calls itself now) is irrelevant really - we are still separated to France by only twenty miles or so. I still see myself as ā€˜Europeanā€™.

1 Like

Have you ever seen the Americans on International House Hunters? That should tell you all you need to know! :smile:

3 Likes

I think Americans tend to miss out on Malaga because lots of them follow the dreadful Rick Steves who dismisses the city with a mention of just the airport and a shopping centre next to the train station!

So weā€™ve only had two lots of American visitors in our 5 years of B&Bing ā€¦ two delightful young women from Memphis on a University exchange visit and a couple from , Idaho? Illonois? who were possibly the only people Iā€™ve met who can drink more wine than we can ā€¦ The wife, a rather large lady sat on one of our plastic poolside chairs which promptly broke and collapsed under her. No, we didnā€™t charge her for the damage, I was just relieved she didnā€™t sue us for her badly bruised derriere!

Actually, weā€™d love more Americans - hint, hint, tell your friends!

2 Likes

Outside of the boring duds I mentioned above, I have had a long string of very cool Americans for months and months, almost exclusively from the 35-50 year old crowd, which I guess places them roughly between the ā€˜Meā€™ generation (early 1980ā€™s?) and the Millenniums (2000+?). Good folks, kind-hearted and very conscientious, and here I was worried about these youngsters once.

/Looked up Rick Steves, he doesnā€™t even mention Malaga in his ā€˜whirlwind traveling packagesā€™. My mom is from near-by Nerja. I get the impression he runs the 1-city per day type of tours so many Americans just love, you know, the constant movement, hectic types of ā€˜travelā€™ (aka rapid sightseeing).

1 Like

I spent a week in Malaga last year, and absolutely loved your city. I had never heard of Malaga to be honest. But, I was looking for an affordable place in Southern Spain to meet up with my husband as he flew in from Boston and I flew in from Paris. Aer Lingus offered a great price, and a plan was born.

Of course, I read about the city before buying the tickets (but not in Rick Steeves.) The only thing I didnā€™t care for were the hordes of tourists being dumped into the city center from the cruise ships. However, my hotel owner was thrilled that they had just set a record for the most number of ships in one day!

The food scene was marvelous. Great wine. Friendly people (once the cruise folks went back to their ships) and what lovely walks we had in the early evening along the water. Highly recommend Malaga to any traveler.

Can you link your listing? Iā€™m planning an anniversary trip for my husband and I for next year and may have to consider you. Weā€™re young enough to be adventurous and love experiencing other cultures!

@Malagachica you dont want the Americans we have had in BarƧa this year. They have been terrible. My twi favorites: the building was very old, as if it was built a very long time ago AND the weather was very hot in July and the flat didnā€™t have central AC, only units (splits!!). I almost responded with please do the world a favor and dont travel.

@Mearns people do the whirlwind trips from BarƧa as well, I never understand them. Sit down, have a beer, and enjoy the locals!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had some oldies that were wonderful. Also, they have to be a little more free-spirited than most since theyā€™re sleeping in my living room.

I agree. Very sad. Especially considering that we all get older. Even SandyToes will get older. Iā€™ve had great young guests and great older guests, too, and I sigh sadly at ageism, which is the new ā€˜blackā€™ it seems.

2 Likes

I have a female DOCTOR here at the moment. Her age is early 30ā€™s. She left MY FRONT DOOR OPEN TWICE. The 60 year old from Woodstock, however, DIDNā€™T.

1 Like

Sandy Toes was just kidding around with her post.

1 Like

OMG! And a sense of humor. SandyToes is 1) older and 2) joking. Some people should read the forum awhile before they post so they donā€™t embarrass themselves.

2 Likes