TWO ISSUES: Guest Demands Refund for Broken Washing Machine & Host Availability / Excessive Contact

WASHING MACHINE
It was not possible to fix washing machine during guests’ stay. On day of arrival (when I got the bad news), I informed them and asked them what their washing needs would be during their stay. They had planned to use the washing machine (it was a wedding). I immediately offered concierge service (meaning my caretaker would take clothes to laundromat and wash them or wash and dry them as guest wished).

Guests declined (didn’t want a stranger touching their skivvies).

Now they are complaining.

Thoughts?

HOST AVAILABILITY / EXCESSIVE CONTACT
This same family bugged the ever loving tar out of me, texting me sometime as late as 10PM to ask me non-house related questions (restaurant options, what my caretaker’s cell was and whether she would would like them to leave their food behind, whether I would like to have their champagne glasses…sweet…but not at 10PM!!). THis after a three page word document answering their questions (twice…because months apart they had forgotten what I said). I prepare a REALLY nice website with any and all information anyone could want to know about the DC metro area. Their non-house and house questions were answered there. All told, I was forced to communicate with 4 different people. I had to keep my mouth shut and keep smiling because of the danged washing machine situation…but going forward, how can I politely turn them offf?? (website already says texting available for emergencies only).

PS: Thank you for helping me with my sanity.

I would say no because you offered an alternative which they rejected. They could have gone to a laundromat themselves to wash them if it was that big of a deal.

5 Likes

Perhaps offer the guests a set time of day when you can sit down and answer all the people’s queries all at once lol.

Be very aware that if the guests complain about a non available amenity, they are likely to get a full refund from Airbnb - I have seen this happen when the wifi went out. Was not the hosts fault, but a non available amenity.

3 Likes

Ordinarily I say…no refunds ever, for anything other than a problem with water or heat! but…

How long was their stay? If it was long-term for several weeks, then maybe a small refund to avoid them bitching to Air. Like Debcat said, they can get a full refund for an inaccurately listed amenity, though the fact that you made an alternative concession (and they refused), may halt that possibility.

If it was a few days, then wow…what on earth is wrong with people?? You gave a generous offer… that I would have accepted. I hate doing laundry and would appreciate free fluff and fold service, like at a hotel! What type of underwear do they have?? Anything delicate is hand washed anyway! Ingrates.

3 Likes

I had this situation and was made to refund $50 even though all they wanted to do was watch a movie and the entire town was out.

1 Like

Washing machine – I wouldn’t refund – you offered an alternative. If they want a refund make them jump through hoops and contact Air etc.

Excessive contact – You were NOT forced to communicate with them… Just Don’t Respond after 5 PM!!! There is an OFF switch for your phone, use it.!

You did not have to "keep your mouth shut and keep smiling because…"

“See the website.”

3 Likes

I would hope that the host would be viewed sympathetically by Airbnb. It’s an extenuating circumstance, the host offered an alternative and compensation and it does not constitute a material block to their enjoyment of the listing as something like a broken toilet would.

3 Likes

How long were your guests staying? I’ve never had an issue with either apartment that couldn’t be fixed on the same day or the next day (including major HVAC breakdown) so I’m wondering how long they had to ‘endure’ the lack of washing machine? If it was just a couple of days, I certainly wouldn’t refund - I’d imagine that the majority of accommodation options don’t have a laundry service anyway. Do you allow use of the washing machine free of charge?

As for the contact, I give guests my business card during the house tour that says I can be contacted by text between 10 am and 7 pm. Most people completely abide by it. (For those guests who check themselves in, the card is on the table when they arrive). This is also reiterated in the message system. If you have no such disclaimer then the guests won’t realise (dumb, I know) that you have limited availability.

You’ll find that some guests demand a lot of attention and others don’t bother you at all. Swings and roundabouts.

1 Like

Thank you all for your support!! It is so CATHARTIC to get this out! Whether I am right or wrong, it’s nice to hear a supportive honest opinion (and this time, you all agreed with me).

WASHING MACHINE
To answer one poster…the guests were there for a week, but the time critical part was the wedding which was 2/3 of the way through the week (rest of family stayed to tour). So, their washing need was genuine and time sensitive (especially since the bride had been travelling cross country with her accumulation of dirty laundry), and needed clean laundry before setting off again. All of that could have been managed with caretaker driving 20 minutes each way and waiting 40 minutes for the loads to wash! $25 labor + $2 x 3 colors for machines + $5 gas! Even less because caretaker needed to do her own laundry and backed up sheets and towels!!

I felt so sorry for the bride!! Leaving with dirty laundry! YUCK!

EXCESSIVE CONTACT
I cannot turn off my phone because I may very well have a real emergency (I have regular rentals too). BUT…I think I can make my language strong in my rules to use the AirBnB platform always except in an emergency involving danger to guest or house, noting that a text rules and phone rules are the same (as both notify loudly). Also that AirBnB messages will be monitored from 9AM to 5PM each day. Then, if guests pester me, I can refer back to the rules.

The washing machine was a MAJOR failure (and a warranty repair). The guy had ordered parts. parts arrived morning of the afternoon when 1st of guests was to check in. Then he had to order more parts. So, guy was there Tuesday and Friday. Oh…and the moron reversed the hot and cold water so he had to come back again (had we realized what was wrong, we just would have told them to reverse the knobs).

Having said that, I told them as soon as the Tuesday repair failed that it was unlikely that the washing machine would be fixed by the time of their departure much less by the wedding and that we would need to look into contingency plans.

So, I was planning for workarounds the second I knew there was a problem.

Caretaker would have gone before the wedding and again a few days later.

RE: Availability…yes, must set rules ahead of time. 10PM on a weeknight!!! Seriously??? Would you call someone that late?? text rules are the same as phone rules!!

Thank you for this. There are countless folks who waltz in here with a very entititled attitude and little understanding of how internet forums operate. Not only did you have a good question but you also jumped in to try and help others. You also didn’t get your knickers in a twist over any reply that some might have seen as less than friendly.

You’ve got a whole generation that doesn’t know what a phone is…lol. Seriously many people don’t consider 10 pm late. Others turn off their phones or set their notifications such that they only get messages from known numbers. So they think that’s how everyone is.

3 Likes

This is probably not a helpful answer to your specific issue, but my antennae always go up when I hear wedding. The Catskills are a very popular, hip destination right now for the NYC metro area. Most of my guests are coming to specifically experience the Catskills and my charming vintage cottage BUT … the Catskills are also a popular for “destination weddings” and when I hear they are flying in for a wedding I am leery - they simply needed a place to stay because they have to go to the wedding. Their expectations are entirely different. In some cases I think they actually resent being there, but they had to come because they could not say “No” to their cousin or their ex-best friend from college. They are picky and they leave the place in poorer condition.

1 Like

I sympathise - I have a moronic handyman. When my hair goes grey, it will be his fault.

Luckily I am somewhat handy so when something goes wrong I can often fix it or have an idea what needs to be done. When my washing machine was hooked up last time it “didn’t work.” The techs forgot to turn the water supply to the washer back on. I can only imagine how many homeowners would be calling for service.

2 Likes

I don’t think more rules are the solution since guests won’t read them anyways. I learned on this forum not to make reactive rules in response to bad guest behavior. I think having better boundaries will get your further: limiting communication to the app, referring them back to your website, and not replying at night.

I hope you left these guests an honest review and sent the offer for laundry service through the app.

4 Likes

Just need to add:

For some hosts, 10pm is not late - in fact, some hosts get inquiries or texts any time of the day or night (when people want to know info before they book and are a few time zones away, they might not take into consideration the time difference). Also, I for one would want a guest to text me ANY time if there is a problem or question simply because I really do want to know about a water leak or a strange noise.

I think the key here is to start putting the information most often asked (how do I get to xxx? Where is the yyy? How do you you turn on the zzz?) into a document - I put one on the bed so that they physically have to move it to get into the bed lol - and hope that they can look there first. If not, after the first question you can refer them to it “oh, that’s in the doc, on page 2 I think. Can you look there, and look there if u have any questions in the future?”

Remember, to many people time is relative - for example most of my guests are up at 5 am and leave before 7, they would laugh if i told them that they could talk to me only between x and y, simply because that is not when they most need my interaction.

You might have to bite the bullet and expect the occasional interruption as the cost of doing business. We live in a 24 hour world and more and more people are born into and live that life.

5 Likes

I meant that text etiquette is the same as phone etiquette!! Good advice on the reactive rules (new term for me); I did the same before and then reversed them. I will write my new “boundaries” below in a second!

the family considered itself “gracious” by not leaving me a review at all. I followed suit.

alas, perhaps I should have let sleeping dogs lie, but I wrote them after waiting out the 14 days just to say, “just thought you would want to know that the tech reversed hot and cold” which was the third failure which still kept them from washing. that loosed the flood gates about how gracious they were and how I should have refunded them. i felt i had to respond with…but it was YOUR choice (given my concierge solution) and btw you bugged the tar out of me (said professionally of course without emotion).

that was my one passive aggressive client interaction. going forward, if no further communication, i will say nothing. just needed to get it out of my system once.

BUT…even in my passive aggressive state, I wasn’t thinking that they may fight for a refund via AirBnB!! EGADS! Hope they do not (and yes other poster, even if I texted or called, I always backed everything up with a message via AirBnB).

My advice to all (do as I say not as i do), just let sleeping dogs lie!

1 Like

I was yapping about their non-house related texts! For example, they texted me at 6:30PM on the way back from museums asking me about a recommended restaurant. They texted me at 10PM to get caretaker’s cell to ask whether she wanted the fridge food (who asks that? just leave it!). And restaurant info is already in my info website!

And I was texting with FOUR guests, not just the one who made the reservation.

I am going to add my new “boundaries” in a moment!

1 Like

My new communication boundaries (for comment and/or swiping):

Please use the booking platform to message us for all of your needs. Messages are monitored between 9AM and 5PM each day. Please expect up to a 24-hour turnaround, although most feedback will occur sooner, especially on day of check-in.

If your party is lost on day of check-in, please CALL so that I can hear your call. Please read directions below to avoid getting lost, and please provide these directions to all guests in your party.

In the event of a house-related urgency involving danger to yourselves or to the house, please message via the booking platform -and- CALL us (if you need immediate feedback) or TEXT (if feedback can wait a few hours). I can always hear my phone ringer; I cannot always hear my text bell. I also do not monitor my texts routinely unless I have already been engaged (e.g. awaiting a repair person). Please respect our private time between 9PM and 9AM, and evaluate whether a phone call or text message is required.

Please reserve all non-house related questions and conversations to the booking platform messaging system. Most of you questions can be answered right here on this website!

In the event of an emergency involving danger to the house, please call 911 first. Then contact us.

Please limit the number of correspondents to the original booker.

1 Like