TWO ISSUES: Guest Demands Refund for Broken Washing Machine & Host Availability / Excessive Contact

This is an excellent Idea. Head off the problem before it starts. I would be happy to be contacted a bit later but each to their own.

2 Likes

A week? Wow. Wedding, extensive travel, whatever…you made a very generous offer, one that would in fact, alleviate their wedding stress—and they refused.

No refund. They’re being unreasonable and based on their high-maintenance and rude past behavior, they are entitled people trying to squeeze you.

Also…ranting on this forum about bad guests is extremely cathartic, isn’t it? haha Keep them coming. You never know who is reading. :wink:

2 Likes

Very, very true…

1 Like

She emailed them a copy of all the house information TWICE. And you should know that not only do guests not read the online rules, they don’t read the written material you leave for them. Hell, half the time they forget my very explicit instructions about only turning on one appliance at a time and the location of the relevant circuit breaker.

3 Likes

Just because they texted at 10pm doesn’t mean you have to answer at 10.05pm. Just leave it till say 8am the next morning and start with the universal lie to avoid people by text message.: “Sorry but my phone battery was dead overnight and I only just got your message”.

1. You advised them of the problem
  2. You offered a remedy
    You owe them nothing.

BUT from a guest perspective, and because it seems to have been a fairly good booking, it would be a nice gesture to offer them something. Ask them what they feel is fair? Then negotiate. What would the cost of the concierge / laundromat have been?

I had a hot water heater break (warranty issue) that I couldn’t get fixed for 3 days … I provided several remedies: A. I advised the guests on Day 1 that they could leave and I’d refund the one night they had stayed and I offered to help them find another place. B. I offered the use of a guest room with en-suite in the main house, or C. just use the guest bathroom in the main house for showers (while staying in the guest house) as the guest room in the main house had its own private entrance. The opted for Remedy C. They were very happy and very much enjoyed their stay. They stayed 5 nights, 3 of which they didn’t have hot water (in the guest house, but showered in the main house). I did refund 1 night stay as a good will gesture (and it’s what I would have refunded had they elected for Remedy A), despite them telling me it was not necessary. That was my choice and I felt right about it.

As someone mentioned, you don’t need to respond until morning. Just respond early morning, and advise that you had already crashed. And then kindly remind them of your website where they can find that information in the future.

1 Like

Why necessary to dredge up a thread 8 months later as if poster still had a problem?

Because the discussion is still relevant. I found these later comments to be helpful, but not necessarily worthy of a new topic.

3 Likes

I disagree about text rules being the same as phone rules. And I am not a millennial.

Same thing happened to me. 50% refund for all their nights stayed because they said their connection was poor, even though they brought it up the last day of their stay and I fixed it right away.

This thread is over a year old and many posters here are no longer active. We are closing old threads as part of a housekeeping effort.

2 Likes