TVs in bedrooms?

I’m particularly interested in hosts hosting a room or rooms in their home. Do you provide a tv? Now that I’ve bought new linen, towels and done rooms up nicely, I’m wondering whether to put TVs in rooms. I don’t think they are a necessity but I’ve had a couple of guests who I know would have liked one, and recently I stuck an old telly in one of the bedrooms before the guest arrived and be noticed he has it on a lot (he’s been here two months now). Makes me wonder if more people would appreciate them? (There isn’t a tv in the shared space btw)

We don’t have TVs in either of our apartments. My neighbour, for whom I co-host, does have a tiny one in the bedroom of his apartment. I don’t think that TV makes a huge amount of difference but we are booked all year round and he isn’t. :slight_smile:

In years, I’ve only had one guest mention the lack of telly in the bedroom. (I gave him a light-hearted lecture on the possible connection between screens in the bedroom and mental health issues).

We tend to watch things on our computers these days more than TV. I don’t know if others do the same but I imagine that the use of a laptop for telly-watching might be increasing.

1 Like

That’s what I thought! But then had three people who either did watch it, or were bothered because reception wasn’t good - he bought his own big tv! For a four day booking. Most extraordinary guest I’ve ever had!

1 Like

I think a TV is nice to have in a bedroom when traveling. When I was a flight attendant, the first thing I did was turn on the TV in the hotel room. I wasn’t even watching a show, I just liked the background noise to keep me company. So I imagine that many travelers might also find comfort with the background noise the TV provides, plus it’s also a night light : )

6 Likes

Thanks Ritz. I think you have a good point. I’m going to have a look round.

1 Like

Update:
And what amenities would you appreciate in a bedroom in a shared Airbnb? I don’t like the kettle and coffee/ tea idea as I think it looks yuk but I’d be interested if others would like. Haven’t got hairdryers either but very open to that. Snacks/ fruit a bit weird in bedroom? Wifi password? Do you provide a scannable one in your rooms? Books? Anything else? Shampoo etc is a bit strange to me too a bit mills and boon I heard someone else say once so I think I’m not alone?
I leave a clothes airer and a laundry basket and a fan in the rooms that can handle that comfortably (otherwise they can ask for when needed) And an iron and ironing Board stored elsewhere that they can use

Crossword puzzles, map of the area, local newspaper, bottle of water and some snacks.

Kettle and hairdryer are non-negotiable! If I’m staying in a room and not an apartment, I’m going to need to make a pot of tea, definitely.

Other requirements for many people are a full-length mirror and a small make-up mirror.

2 Likes

Home share host here. As far as a TV goes, I have never had a TV in any of my homes in my adult life. Whether to provide one for guests depends on the demographic of guests you get and the reasons they book with you. I live in a bustling little beach resort town. Guests don’t come here to sit indoors watching
TV. They are out and about, at the beach, eating out, exploring the shops. I also market towards guests who are artistic or outdoorsy types, who aren’t usually TV watchers.

Although I am 72 and hate TV, the older crowd are more apt to watch TV than younger folks who watch stuff online. No one I know under the age of 50 watches TV shows. They watch Netflix, HBO series, etc, and may watch those on their home screen, but can easily do that when travelling on their laptop.

It sounds like you do get a lot of TV watchers, so it might be a nice addition to the guest room, but certainly not a necessity.

As far as what else I provide in the guest space, very little. It’s a small room, with a decent size private bathroom. I provide soap, liquid and bar, and a basket with cotton balls, q-tips and earplugs, extra toothbrushes, and whatever other gueests may have left behind if the containers are at least half full (I sterilize these containers). So it’s an ever-revolving assortment that may contain shampoo and conditioner, shaving gel, sunscreen, bug spray, whatever.

In the bedroom there are some Mexico travel books, brochures from local businesses, local tourist maps of the town.

Guests have full use of my kitchen, and I provide coffee and tea. I don’t want food in the bedroom, as I live in the land of insects.

If your guests don’t have kitchen privileges, then I think you should provide a coffee and tea station, with a coffeemaker or electric kettle, a mini-fridge, and drinking water (Brita filter or water dispenser, not plastic water bottles, please). Some snacks if you like. (How much you provide relates to what you charge per night)

This little food area can be set up in a hallway outside their room if your place allows for that, rather than the bedroom. I’ve definitely seen some tacky bedroom coffee station set-ups. Like in the closet, right under where you’d hang your clothes.

1 Like

We have TV’s in our bedrooms (whole house rental). One of the reasons we have them is that sounds carry in our house. As every parent knows, TV’s are great “cover up noise” so others can’t hear what’s going on in the bedroom :wink:

3 Likes

We home-share, and we have put Roku TVs in both of our guest bedrooms. They are both attached to the wall and can be swung out and angled a bit. I know of only one guest who has used the TV.

1 Like

Although our apartments are separate places, the sound issue still applies.

In the forties, when our places were designed, the architect for some reason made the bedrooms back-to-back,

In other words, in our rentals when a guest is in bed. someone else on the other side of the wall is also in bed in another apartment. (This is probably why I sometimes find pillows and other sound-deadening things behind the bed. :wink: )
So TVs are not really appropriate.

Although it does depend on your location. We too are in a place that attracts tourists and no-one comes here to watch TV.

We have a very unique design, where the interior walls don’t go to the ceiling. It’s on purpose to allow cross-breezes to cool the house, but it also means sounds carry. That’s why I put transistor radios in the bathrooms and TVs in the bedrooms for “cover up” noise.

Crud, now I need to add that to the “did you notice?” list I send to the guest before/shortly after booking. :frowning_face:

It truly is a wonderful place and we would not trade it for anything. And the majority of our guests feel the same way. But it’s so different from a typical “vacation rental” in the US that’s it truly a challenge to rent out over AirBnB, when they give a guest a full refund for one bug, a leaf in the pool, or a little bit of dust. Maybe I should suggest to Catherine Powell that they add a “glamping” designation ?

3 Likes

Interesting thank you. I do have the full length mirrors. I have a kettle downstairs in the kitchen which they are free to use…that is okay instead isn’t it?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this Muddy. I wouldn’t way three tv watchers makes for a lot though? I have had hundreds of guests so…

Yes I know not a necessity, but just looking to perfect! I am enjoying making the rooms as comfy as possible and wanted to explore!

I would agree that tvs more for the older generation. That said, as another poster mentioned it can be nice when travelling to put on a tv. Sometimes you just want a bit of background ‘company’ rather than to watch a film.

I have TVs in all my bedrooms. Small flat screen ones are getting more expensive than they were but mine have all been used ones that work just fine. I might not have done that if I had to run cable to each of them. I have Firesticks and YouTubeTV. Mine run off my wireless internet. Be careful to set up a system in which guest can charge movies, streaming trials, etc. to you. If you have several rooms on the same internet service and everyone decides to stream at once, you may or may not get some internet challenges.

There is a little portable plastc light weight electric kettle that I used to keep in my suitcase. I purchased it on Amazon. I think it was about $10. Something like that might be nice for your guests. If your guests are already in their pajamas and don’t want to go to your kitchen to get a cup of hot water for their tea, they can just plug in this little kettle that turns off when it’s ready. I used it often to make instant hot chocolate or coffee. This is similar to the one I travel with:Amazon.com

1 Like

When I opened my airbnb, I did not have a TV in the bedroom. Guests mentioned that they would like one. Turns out a lot of folks use it to go to sleep and for background noise. I bought a small tv, got an over-the-air anttenne and a Roku and no complaints since. I would recommend.

(I personally don’t believe in TVs in the bedroom but I’m not hosting myself.)

2 Likes

I have TVs in every bedroom and mini fridge and microwave. Also desks and chair in every room. If you dont want guests to sit in your living room watching TV or put their food in your fridge, to have these amenities is very useful.
Some hosts like to engage in conversation with their guests, but most dont. I prefer to have every possible amenity in guests room so i dont have on a daily basis have lenthy conversations with guests or listen to loud phone talks from my living room

Definitely I’d like a hairdryer. I have one in all my bathrooms, though occasionally they go missing. It wasn’t until my recent road trip that I noticed how much I depend on the hosts providing one.

I provide shampoo and conditioner, but I am torn. Most the time the seal is not broken on the tiny amenities I provide. On the other hand, on our recent vacation my husband used all the shampoo provided every day. If I’m staying long enough to wash my hair twice I’m supplying my own shampoo. My hair just can’t deal with generic shampoo. If your folks are just staying a night or two having those tiny shampoos might be a good idea.