TVs in bedrooms?

After I re-opened I switch to a dispenser attached to the shower wall. Less plastic waste and easier to clean.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FGCW0K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I believe the less plastic waste. I’m wondering about the easier to clean.

Every dispenser attached to the shower wall I’ve seen in a hotel or country club is absolutely disgustingly sticky and gross. Shampoo and/or conditioner is stuck to the front of the dispenser and winds down the tile. Mold is growing between the unit and the wall. If they are easy to clean why aren’t they cleaning them? By the time I see them it would take a scrubby sponge, toothbrush, and bathroom cleanser to get them close to clean.

For me, drilling into tile in homes I am keeping to downsize to at some point is just not happening. Not to mention I can barely get the cleaners to put out new bottles, getting them to refill something is less likely to happen. In our case, dispensers just wouldn’t work.

1 Like

There is no drilling involved. 3m bathroom tape. It’s been up for a year no issues.

Also, today I changed out the products and it was super easy to clean. the container just slides out of the supports on the wall, the components easily come apart and then everything is easy to clean. It took me 15 minutes to clean and refill.

1 Like

I agree with @Ritz3 that ideally I’d prefer to have a kettle in the room so that I wouldn’t have to go down to the kitchen in a robe and a bed-head.

Although I supply various toiletries, you might want to consider having items that guests can use but not put then into the room. Mentioned them when you greet the guests. “I hope you’ll have a lovely stay here and if you need anything hjuist let me know. I keep plenty of shampoo. mouthwash, toothpaste, tissues and what have you, so do ask if you need anything I can’t guarantee that I’ll have what you need but it’s worth a try”.

Most guests probably won’t wasn’t to bother you, but by offering them, you’ve shown yourself to be a great host.

Other ideas are first aid kit, books, notepad and pen, magazines (The ‘What’s On’ type), local map/A-Z, menus from local takeaway places…

1 Like

Oh, I got the impression it was more. If it’s only been 3 out of hundreds, there’s probably been just as many who dislike seeing a TV in the bedroom, like I do. :wink:

As a home share host, I would be really annoyed at hearing a TV constantly droning in the background if a guest was one of those types who have it on all the time when they are home.

I have a friend whose ex-husband was like that. She said they had a tradition where they would go for a bike ride every Sunday morning, sit in a cafe and have a nice brunch. This would set a mood where she was feeling romantic and amorous and looking forward to getting home and making love.
But as soon as they walked in the door, her husband would flip on the TV (which he kept tuned to the weather channel), which totally broke the mood for her. :rofl:

2 Likes

My female guests all seem to come equipped with their own favored shampoo and conditioner. The men not so much, they seem less fussy and might avail themselves of the “Help yourself” basket.

I like to socialize with guests, who have full use of my kitchen and outdoor terrace. I have never had a guest talk on the phone in common spaces, monopolize my time, nor get in my way.

But I tend to get quite interesting guests who have some very engaging stories about their lives or work. My most recent guest is a marine biologist, and she had fascinating stories, as well as information that interests me. I have learned a lot of things from my guests and keep in touch with some of them.

One was from the area of Canada where I used to live and go every summer to see family and friends. I gave her a call one year when I went up, and she picked me up from the ferry landing, took me to her house where she made lunch for us and we had a nice visit.

We don’t provide a TV in any bedroom, just a larger TV projection system in the main living area.

Why not?

• No stated demand for it, though we’re sure some would like it
  • Cost/benefit – intuit a higher return elsewhere
  • Concern a TV would encourage people to eat/drink in bedrooms, causing stains

Amenities in bedroom

• An electrical device (whose brand will be un-named) that provides extra plugs and USB-C ports so guest does not need to go on hands and knees to plug into outlets
  • Luggage rack
  • HomePod mini for music/info/utilities
  • Plenty of hangars
  • Ironing board (mini, hanging, 1 in unit)
  • Fan (though we have central A/C)
  • Extra set of bedding, extra blanket
  • Electric warming sheet on mattress (brand removed)
  • Flashlight (for emergencies)
  • Solar lantern
  • Written emergency plan
  • Three days’ supply of food and water in closet
  • Add’l emergency supplies in closet

But you host an entire house, don’t you?
What is provided for guests in the bedroom of a private room homeshare has different considerations, dependent on what common spaces and amenities are available to guests than an entire house listing.

For instance, there is no space in the guest room for an iron and ironing board, but if they need one, they can go out to my sewing workshop and use mine.
And it would be ridiculous to put 3 days worth of emergency water and food in the guest bedroom.

1 Like

Yes, we host entire house. So I am missing the meaning of ‘But.’

Why?

In any event, I am just saying that this is what we provide in the bedroom, arguably as an amenity though we don’t list it at all.

Because they wouldn’t need that in their bedroom. They have full access to my kitchen, and if there were some emergency situation where food and water wasn’t readily available, I would share mine.

Well, I’m still not getting it.

It’s not about ‘needing’ a TV. In our whole house there is a TV projection system in the main living area. So, like you, we’d say there is no ‘need’ for a TV in the bedroom. But my sense from this thread was that some Hosts put a TV in the bedroom not because it was the only TV they’d have access to, privately or not, but because of a perception that it’s nice to have a TV in the bedroom. I also think it is nice, but we chose not to do so for the reasons I stated.

As for sharing food and water in an emergency, I could joke about not sharing or selling it for market value, but the real reason we provide it upstairs is that storing food and water for six people for three days takes room. What better place than the bedrooms upstairs?

I wasn’t referring specifically to a TV- you listed a whole bunch of things you put in the bedrooms.

But as far as providing a bedroom TV, yes, there are different considerations in a private room listing than an entire home. I live here, too and as I mentioned, it would drive me nuts to hear a TV droning away for hours. I’m willing to be hospitable in many ways for guests, but not about things which would negatively impact my day to day life.

I understand.

I listed what we have in the bedrooms because it was asked:

If someone felt that any of this is not appropriate for a shared Airbnb they could filter that out as they choose. I assume some shared Airbnbs have one extra bedroom, some more than one bedroom.

1 Like

Yes, there are many homeshares with more than one private room listing. And there are considerations for those which are different from those with only one.

For instance, I have read quite a few posts from guests over the years who complain about not having a lock on the outside of their door when there are other guests sharing the house. Which I totally understand.

If a guest is only sharing the home with the host, locking the bedroom door when the guest goes out would be rather pointless, as hosts would have keys to any door in their home, for emergency purposes. Plus the homeshare host has to trust guests who have access to the rest of the home and it’s a two way street.

But if there are other unrelated guests in the house, neither the host nor the guests know for sure that all the guests are trustworthy, and guests being able to lock their door, securing their valuables, seems a reasonable and essential component to me.

We are home share hosts and we do provide a Roku tv along with an over the air antenna plus Paramont+ and Sling TV service.

As a guest we went to a very nice rural location, enjoyed hiking and other outdoor activites during the day, but the nighttime entertainment was practically non-existant. There wasn’t a tv in the listings so we brought a portable one with an over the air antenna. I like to watch the news every night and have a few favorite shows. I also do not like watching on my phone.

If another listing had been available in the area and in my price range, with a tv, I would have chosen it. You don’t know if you are missing people over an easy to provide amenity.

2 Likes

Our shared room has a old style buffet wth tv, (roku, Paramount+, and Sling TV enabled) and fan on top. It also has the fire extinguisher and a lap desk in the drawers.

Desk top has a lamp, a laptop pad (to protect the desk finish), and our guest book to sign. Desk drawers are filled with notepads and pens, white noise machine, alarm clock, charging cables, Bible, fast food coupons, tourist flyers and maps to local attractions.

Closet has two robes (with a hanging note asking to leave them on the bed if used), extra blankets, firmer pillows than the ones on the bed, hangers, suitcase stand, and extra fan. The bed has regular bedding, 4 pillows, and I put our house manual there the first day. Bookshelves along one wall have books, games, and decorative items. One shelf is all items about Airbnb. Lots of empty space on the shelves so they don’t look too crowded.

Bathroom has a drawer of “in case you forgot” items (razor, q-tips, deoderent,etc), plus a hair dryer. The cabinet has extra towels, a “hot spot” container for curling irons. and a first aid kit. Shampoo, conditioner, hand soap -both liquid and bar - and body wash. Unscented when I can find it (darn supply chain issues!). I put out 2 towels per person because I like to have one just for my hair and want to give that option to my guests.

Laundry room - washer/dryer, unscented detergent and dryer sheets.

Guests can use our kitchen and there are shelves in the fridge and a cabinet available to them. I do not advertise that we offer breakfast but I do put out coffee/tea and cereal/toast making stuff for them.

One note about hair dryers - they are not very expensive and as a guest I get annoyed if I have to bring my own. One more thing to pack and remember. Same with shampoo.

I am so glad to be back hosting! It is picking up. 10 guests this month. One, two, and three day stays, Mostly last minute bookings. So far only 2 bookings (one day plus a 3 day) for August.