Trying to get guests to cancel becuase I might put my air bib on a year hiatus

This is a long story. I have had my Airbnb for nine months. Have pretty much five stars across-the-board. I’ve only had one guest that really bothered me, other than that we have had an absolutely amazing experience. I live very remotely, halfway between Los Angeles And Las Vegas, and I am also a convenient stop for the Grand Canyon. I rarely get more than one night stays which I don’t mind, and for my own convenience block out many nights during the month.
I closed my listing during July and august.
Here is the situation, I have a return guest booked for three days in October and one guest booked in September. They have been on the books for a while. My dilemma is there is a three-year project coming into our area and the workers, many of them have RVs that they need to park, however every RV park and campground is completely full already and supposedly there will be hundreds of people looking for places to park. On our property we have two sites that we can open. If I allow people to come in I would have to cancel on these two guests that are already booked, because we would be moving our camper. I have communicated with these guests to tell them we might not be doing our Airbnb in the fall and they would get a free full refund. I told him I will give them a final decision this weekend and my wording had to be very particular on the Airbnb site. Both guests were very nice and are waiting for me to let them know what’s going on. I very much want to take this opportunity to have these RVs on our property because I will not have to clean and we will be making a lot more money. I am just looking for some discussion on this trying to decide. I could keep my guests and let these RV people come in October however I might miss the opportunity all Together if I wait til October. It would be a difference of about $1500 a month. I am torn please ask me any questions or give me any feedback that might help me make my decision. I also wondered if you close the site on Airbnb if you can open it back up in the future without getting a bad rap

2 Likes

I strongly dislike undependable hosts who cancel on someone to make more money. I always think of it in terms of how would I want to be treated. And making a reservation on Airbnb isn’t that easy. You can search for hours and then to have the host cancel on you is infuriating.

OTOH, it’s pandemic roaring back and I doubt these guests would lose sleep if they canceled on you.

So what I would do is share the wealth a bit. Tell them thank you and you appreciate them very much (especially the return guest). Offer a discounted or free stay of equal length for the future plus a cash bonus. If you are making $1500 more a month for 2 months then taking 5% of that and paying off the guests is a reasonable financial decision and one that would allow me to sleep soundly if I were in your shoes.

9 Likes

If you know you will be unlisting or snoozing for a whole year, then why not do a host cancellation? It won’t affect your overall rating and it won’t affect Superhost status since you would have to start over after a year anyway.

Additionally, you have obligations as a host and you are breaking your commitments for the benefit of your business (higher profit and reduced effort). Just pay the cancellation fee and reap the benefits. Don’t inconvenience your guests more than you already plan to do by having your guests cancel just so you can save $200.

2 Likes

Yes. People snooze their listings without penalty.

3 Likes

Compensating the guests for their inconvenience is a good idea, but it requires some trust one way or the other. I.e. pay the guest after she cancels or pay the guest before she cancels.

1 Like

The guests have plenty of time to book elsewhere. You have a great opportunity and providing for your family is your highest priority.
In your shoes, we would take advantage of it. It sounds like the guests are not upset and are being cordial. So, take the money and handle as you see fit. We certainly would not disclose the reasons why (it simply is not their business). If you wish, you can offer some kind of sweetener per @kcc, if you like.

1 Like

Oh, absolutely after. And after everything is settled and certain with Airbnb. Or even wait until the bookings for the temp renters come in.

1 Like

Well folks—- I decided to keep my Airbnb open it to RV’s after october. And I had talked privately with my Airbnb guests and offered other accommodations free. So they were going to possibly do that if I had to cancel on them.
But all is well.

7 Likes

I snoozed my listing and now I’m not on the top anymore even though I’ve had a couple of guests since opening up again. I used to be the first listing. :frowning:

I don’t consider that being penalized per se. There’s only one first page, or top five, etc. It makes since that people who are more available are moved up the list while you’re gone.

2 Likes