Trip charge? service call? do you charge guests?

Bye, Felicia! Go ahead, make my day! What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn’t mommy and daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?

LOL.

6 Likes

Yes, they are. It’s currently the Vendimia here, which is essentially the harvest festival and there are lots of events all to do with sherry.

We went to one the other night where you buy a glass for €2 and then wander round 10-12 stands operated by bodegas where you can try all their offerings for between €1 and €3 per fill of your glass. An excellent night was had by all.

The Tesco Finest Oloroso is a good starting point, and not a bank breaker. Sainsburys and Waitrose in the UK also have a good selection, prices for some can be a bit nippy (compared to here!) but most bottles are produced by decent bodegas.

Another decent article (I know that by his bodega recommendations) :wink:

We’re considering, for next year, doing an Airbnb Experience in relation to Sherry. Just got some local issues to resolve before we can start any marketing.

Sorry to witter on, I can talk about our local wines until the cows come home…

JF

3 Likes

So happy that we can now get on with discussing our drink.

5 Likes

omg I LOVE that curvy glass! Where did you get it?

1 Like

Goodwill. $1 each. My co-host got a set of four.

2 Likes

100% this.

I suppose we should thank the OP for being the catalyst… nah.

Enjoy, and salud!

JF

Ah, I’ll have to search online to find one ! Pretty sure they won’t be a $1, though :slight_smile:

edit: I found them. $7.50 dollars each (approx)!! You got lucky.
https://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=5826&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInL785onC5AIVBfhRCh2bDQhYEAQYASABEgLDV_D_BwE#.XXVmIi5Kjow

1 Like

Webstaurant Store sells them for $5.83 each if you buy 12.

1 Like

I’m in the UK so probably shipping would be prohibitively expensive. I’ll look out for them in my local thrift stores :wink:

They are actually a lot cheaper in the UK £50.94 for 12:

But I only want one or two! I’m not sophisticated enough to need 12 quirky martini glasses :smile:

3 Likes

I have a cabin in the woods. But I like the drink discussion better.
So here is my combo contribution: I make my guests drink their hot chocolate/fine wine out of enameled tin camp mugs, while not ever charging them for trip/service calls.

4 Likes

Can I join as a contributor to the study? :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

And the glass … So cute, @CeeBee !

1 Like

So, just to be helpful, in case the glasses weren’t enough: the drink recipes…

https://rometti.wordpress.com/tag/japanese-fizz/

If anyone is curious, I’m happy to share the dinner recipe, too. :grin:

1 Like

Oh go on then, what did you have?

:slight_smile:

JF

Like u said a line has to be drawn. However, if the AC unit needed a battery replacement then obviously you have to bear some of the responsibility. Plus, no one would have expected there to be batteries under the sink. Where the line has to be drawn is she should have called you instead of making the maintenance guy make another costly trip to get batteries. In addition, if it is not a critical appliance, she shouldn’t even have made you send out a repairman at night. You could probably split the responsibility here.

I’m guessing that @scottonfire is a remote host and the maintenance guy was the only option.

You can replace the batteries at specific intervals, or test them during your cleaning/preparation. I bought a battery tester after one of my guests complained the battery in the TV remote in the master bedroom was dead. She was right, but the batteries were only a month old, so I assume a guest fell asleep on the remote or something. Now I test them at least once a month. Once I also found batteries removed from remotes by a guest, so that’s also something to consider.

I’m not a remote host (I assume you are, but it’s not clear) so I wouldn’t charge even if a guest woke me up a 3am. But, even if you are, I think you should be baking this into your nightly rate. Think about it. Some guests leave the place really clean and hardly use any of your consumables, but I bet you don’t offer them a refund. Why do you want to charge the occasional guest that needs some extra attention? And as for using the security deposit. Expect the guest to fight you on that and expect to lose. Even if she was being a total pain in the ass, she didn’t damage anything.

1 Like

Great thread here, thanks @scottonfire for firing us up…

RR

4 Likes

Even worse, one guest reversed the batteries in two of our carbon monoxide/smoke detectors so the units didn’t function. Even worser (lol) it was a guest who discovered it when they went around and tested every single one of the 7 units in the house.

1 Like

Pie.

2 Likes