Trip charge? service call? do you charge guests?

So, the most spoiled guest ever stayed at my cabin in the woods and had my maintenance man out for an hour to fix the fan b/c at night she heard a “whisp” and she couldn’t figure out that what she could do was TURN THE FREAKING FAN OFF. Sorry, i’m still mad b/c the AC unit needed a battery replaced and she expected my maintenance guy to return to give her a freaking battery. Side note- there were batteries under the sink, but she said there weren’t b/c she only glanced. Anyway, what’s your rule about charging for trip charges? If it was something big like a leak or power outage, I of course would not charge, but a line needs to be drawn right?

EDIT. THIS PARTICULAR GUEST WAS VRBO SO I HAVE $180 OF THEIR DEPOSIT. Why is it saying this isn’t a complete sentence? Don’t answer that

I’d love to say yes, especially when i had a guest call me no less than 52 time around midnight when he locked himself out of the house by locking even the door handle that he had no key or smart lock access to. Unfortunately it is an unfortunate part of business. I might say to an individual guest that was racking up the trips that i would only come out at my own convenience without a trip charge but that would be hard. Luckily, I am generally pretty available to head to my unit (it is 20 minutes from where I live) but if I wasn’t I might consider doing it for a frequent problem guest…

1 Like

If I had a vacation cabin I wouldn’t charge a “trip charge” unless I have it stated in the house rules or description that maintenance during the stay is an extra charge. I also wouldn’t stay at such a place if it said that and would review poorly if charged.

1 Like

I assume you have a rental of some kind, otherwise why are you chiming in?

I don’t understand the problem with the fan. Is it part of the A/C system? What was the fix?

The dead battery should’ve been caught by whoever cleaned and prepped the listing.

these are two separate instances, but what pushed it over the top was the insistence on bringing her a battery. That’s when I looked back at the fan situation and now I’m pondering charging.

The A/C doesn’t work unless the face unit has batteries- there’s no warning, it just died. We had batteries in the cabin, but the lady didn’t take the extra second to look further underneath the sink

lol omg 50 times. Well that’s gotta be a record of sorts.

I live at my rental which is attached to my house.

Really? You’re on the internet. If you don’t want opinions then don’t ask for them.

5 Likes

Not all opinions are created equal- you struck me as someone who doesn’t understand the time/money involved in a trip charge, and now I see I was correct.

I understand very well. And not only am I a host, I’m a guest on various platforms.

You strike me as someone who arrived here looking for someone to pat them on the back and say “yeah, charge that entitled guest!”

You don’t want to hear anything contrary to that. You should have called your fishing buddies instead of asking strangers on the internet and then insulting them.

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Personally, I find @KKC’s opinions carry a hell of a lot more weight than those of a random ranting dude who only showed up here an hour ago. But, please, go on…

6 Likes

Well, when I saw the OP, I thought I knew what my answer would be - that charging a guest for a maintenance matter that should have been attended to before the guest arrived is downright ridiculous.

I was going to put it a bit nicer than that but then I saw the OP’s sarcastic comments, which in addition to his nickle-and-diming attitude made me realise that there’s absolutely no need to be pleasant to this person.

4 Likes

Are you as big a dick as a host as you are on internet forums?

Just chiming in like…

JF

7 Likes

Such misplaced sarcasm, in one so new to this forum. I take it you are not someone who has lurked here fore a while before posting? Otherwise you would be well aware that KKC is an Airbnb host of many years standing.

She has her moments, but you surely take the biscuit.

And yes, the dead battery, like lightbulbs, should have been noticed by whoever cleaned your listing. Was it you by any chance?

4 Likes

Sloppy, sloppy… you’re prob right Joan, what we have is another poor host writing a rant on here looking for folks to agree that their guest was a monster.

Given their choice of user name, maybe it should be Scott, not on fire, but striving to be :fire:

Next!

JF

3 Likes

No offense, Ranting Dude, but I think you might want to ponder a career change instead. Or get a prescription for sedatives. Because stuff like this is part of the job, and if you don’t figure it out pretty soon, you’re going to spend a lot of your time being miserable.

8 Likes

We’ve found that copious amounts of sherry helps, and apparently is far less damaging to your body than prescription drugs. Currently, I am engaging in a long term survey to verify this.

So far, the only other participant is my OH. Should I maybe widen the scope?

JF

9 Likes

And why are you being so rude @scottonfire

If you post on a host forum then you have to expect forum members to join in with their thoughts, often not just directly about the issue posted about. That is the nature of a forum.

It is not up to up to decide, as you so nicely put it who ‘chimes in’.

3 Likes