Too many Rules? Your rental will be a TikTok

Review: I think this Airbnb has too many rules. Many are posted where you must climb a ladder to read them. Very unsafe IMHO.

10 Likes

i’ve stayed in a place that had a MASSIVE guest manual to read before arrival, right down to “please don’t wear your new blue denim jeans on our white sofas” and “please don’t wear artificial perfumes as the neighbours are sensitive to it”. (she was that neighbour!). Now the house smelled divine thanks to her natural oil diffusers, but that rule book was hilarious and terrifying because her perfectly styled white loft space gave me ptsd-style flashbacks to travelling with little kids and being paranoid they’d leave stains everywhere. I couldn’t relax at all.

However, i’m sure we can all agree that over time, if we added in a rule for every dumb thing a guest has done, we’d also be just like this person. It’s akin to the classic “don’t lick” on the inside of the radiator fluid tin.

2 Likes

When I read the article last week, I liked that many commenters were supporting the Host and noting that when a Host has many rules, it’s because they have encountered situations that have caused them to have to add more rules. I know for me as a Host for 3 years, I started out with just the Airbnb “basic rules,” and now have over 15. Some are elaborate pertaining to the weather here in South Florida (i.e., hurricanes), but for the most part, in a shared-home environment, I find that the more detailed you are, the more likely that Guests will know what to expect and what they are entitled to. Also, Airbnb will not reimburse you for anything if it wasn’t stated in the House Rules. I have found that the most respectful Guests are the ones that take the time to read the rules and are grateful to find a nice accommodation that they can afford. I know that when I travel, I cannot afford to book an entire place to myself so home-sharing for me has been a blessing, and I’ve met some wonderful Hosts over the years and it is what inspired me to Host to begin with :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Me too. I found out early that some people can’t handle a rule of “follow the posted pool rules”. They want to know what those rules are & what do they mean.

1 Like

Exactly. I wish I had NO “House Rules,” but unfortunately, when something happens, Airbnb’s response is always, 'was it stated in your House Rules?" I don’t like this Host’s little handwritten notes and some are what most of us would call ridiculous, but I am a firm believer that if you are a respectful Guest, you are going to treat the space respectfully and a Host’s little OCD notes or pet peeves aren’t going to bother you because you are happy to have a place you can afford to lay your head at night.

2 Likes

That’s hilarious!! Love it !!

1 Like

That’s hilarious! Love it !!

1 Like

We stayed in a BnB cabin next to the hosts house. There was a list of rules on the door post, another list on the coat/shoe rack just inside the door. EVERY kitchen appliance had instructions. There were rules/instructions on the kitchen wall, on the bench, on the bathroom vanity and on the toilet sisten. There was a house manual on the table with all the rules in. I felt as though the host didnt trust me to have any common sense. In the bedroom was a little sign on the headboard which said ‘Dream’ We laughed - she was even telling us what to do in bed!

9 Likes

Those stupid signs that seem to have become a decor trend is something that really needs to go the way of the dodo. “Live, laugh, love”, “Coffee”, “Dream”, “Home”- they’re like the millennial version of framed needlepoint samplers saying “Home Sweet Home”.

I refuse to wear anything with “branding” words on it. The biggest marketing coup ever was when advertisers realized people would actually pay money for the privilege of walking around with the name of a company emblazoned across their chest, advertising someone’s business.

7 Likes

The problem is that guests DON’T have common sense on vacation.

During a power outage, some guests ran out of drinking water in our office-style water cooler. They texted me asking how to get drinking water. All they had to do was to open one of the five-gallon bottles of water in the kitchen and pour it out.

4 Likes

I only have furniture that can withstand my children LOL

1 Like

This has to be Tania.