Too many Rules? Your rental will be a TikTok

Guilty, guilty, guilty.

I have a two sided laminated 8 1/2 by 11 page on how to use the washer/dryer combo stuck to the appliance with a zip tie and suction cup. At least it’s shorter than the instruction manual provided by the manufacturer . . .

I also have pages in my welcome book on the lock, and on the remote, “8 x 10 colored glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph” (Apologies to Arlo).

5 Likes

There is no comparison between this insane host’s condescending BS and multiple pages of instructions on how to use complicated devices like TV remotes and many new washing machines.

I’d love to know where this listing is so I could see if the description is as crazy as the actual stay. How does anyone book a place like this unless it’s a bait and switch? I hope this host doesn’t have kids.

2 Likes

Maybe a new listing with few or no reviews?

Maybe the host is actually quite sweet and personable with the guests aside from her control issues and they feel bad giving her a bad review? If the host was nasty with her guests, the tiktoker probably wouldn’t have said in her response to the negative comments, “I’m not talking badly about her and don’t hurt her. Please!”

So maybe even if there are reviews, they indicate it was a comfortable, clean stay, and the host was nice, just a mention about the long list of rules and instructions. And a lot of guests might think, oh, that’s no big deal, I’m a good guest, I can follow the rules.

It would be interesting indeed to see her listing and reviews.

2 Likes

I don’t believe that. You come up with all this crap because you had guests who don’t think like you/don’t do what you want.

I’ve known “sweet and personable” people who I can’t stand some aspect of their lives. For example, teachers with who I socialized and enjoyed their company but absolutely did not agree with how they treated their students or didn’t agree with their in class routines, etc. As you’ve said before, guests rate their stay, not the personality of their host.

2 Likes

We had a similar guest. We have a keypad lock and she put her code just fine and she waited for the bolt to retract, she followed all of the instructions I had sent her but I didn’t tell her that she needed to push the door open. It doesn’t require anything but a push and but I think she thought it was an automatic door. She stood there waiting for the door to open for her.

1 Like

Someone needs to send this to that host.

8 Likes

Different perspectives…I did not get that feeling at all. OTT for a reasonably intelligent person perhaps but given the quality of some guests and their intellect, I can certainly understand…

1 Like

Does it occur to you that it seems reasonable to you because you are also OTT with too many rules? That’s fine and you seem to be managing. But we’ve told you this many times and you haven’t changed. It’s your personality and it’s hers as well.

A lid for every pot.

5 Likes

…even crack pots :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

I have the same problem even with HR of “here are the pool towel hooks, here are the 18 other hooks for your towels along with 3 towel rods. Please don’t hang your wet towels on the antique wood furniture.”

IDK how they were raised. Or what their homes look like… Maybe they’re on vacation and feel they can run amok?

That’s funny!

Those signs would send me over the edge and I’d be thinking of pranks to play on the host - and how does a reusable sanitary sleeve stay sanitary once a guest has checked in??? I’m baffled.

1 Like

We had almost a similar situation in Bangkok, he even wanted us to take pictures of the property, each room and then us locking the place up, putting the key back in a remote lockbox or be fined $100 dollars. Obviously, we didn’t do any of it and Airbnb reversed the fines. Another interesting thing was the big signs in the lobby on easel stands saying if you were in an Airbnb in the building it was illegal and you needed to leave immediately. Now we know why the host gave us specific directions for a ‘private’ entrance to use whenever we came and left. :kissing:

Oh my…………………………………….

I provide a point form A-Z guide in each of our units. That way, guests can look things up by topic. While it may be tempting to wallpaper a unit with warnings and guidance notes, I believe it is not the way to go. As hosts, we can all understand the frustration arising when people don’t do the obvious, but plastering walls with messages does not help. It becomes ignored wallpaper.

1 Like

Same with handing wet towels on the wooden rods on my poster bed.

1 Like

A good reason to not have antique furniture in a STR.

5 Likes

Luckily for me, my husband is my tester. He’ll leave wet towels on wooden dining chairs and tables. If it can withstand him it can withstand renters.

4 Likes

Maybe because other places, like mine (rule from my cleaner), where the rule is that they leave the dirty towels on the floor?

I had one like that too. They called to tell me their code wasn’t working. I looked and they were locking and unlocking the lock. I told them it appeared to be as the locking and unlocking. Nope, it’s jot doing anything they said, and they have the same exact lock at home. So I send my husband over. They never tried to turn the doorknob and open the door! I had never considered that people wouldn’t know to open the door after unlocking it. My husband asked and their door doesn’t automatically open either. So I’m not sure why they thought my door would be different?

7 Likes

It’s all I own and it’s lasted 150+ years of guests, moves, many different generations of children. Shared home, so I can keep an eye on things.

Plus, I think it’s pretty.

I used to have one of those! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, wet towels on my wooden chairs, some folks don’t realise that not only do they damage the chairs but the towels get marked too, and why do they put wet towels on the bed, making the duvet damp?

2 Likes