Today I'm listening to

You should have tried bones instead.

2 Likes

Tonight’s kitchen cleanup music was Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin, all upbeat tunes.

I actually got to see them perform together after hours at the Fillmore West — Ray showed up at the end of Aretha’s concert, sat down at the piano, the audience came back up the stairs, and they went on for 3 more hours, until 3 am. They sang old classics, Aretha’s sisters sang Raelettes parts… I was in R&B heaven!

Ray was fighting with Atlantic Records then, starting his own label, and Aretha’s concert was recorded for Atlantic. Ray’s sudden appearance at the end of Aretha’s last song was released, but the rest of those tapes are sitting in Atlantic’s vault.

I hope that Ray’s family arrives at a settlement with Atlantic some day so those gems can be heard. I stopped by the recording van the day after the concert when they were playing back some of the 24 track tapes and they were astounding.

4 Likes

Um … JS Bach Magnificat. Which I’m hoping VERY, VERY much to be able to sing next year … I desperately miss my choir.

3 Likes

I miss choral singing, too. I can’t imagine how that will ever be safe again.

1 Like

I’ve had the pleasure of singing Bach cantatas with our local Bach Society, as well as the Mozart Requiem with our local symphony. Before the pandemic the orchestra was in an audition year for a new conductor, and I’m pressing candidates to commit to doing the St. John Passion.

My musical tastes are wide ranging. I play blues harmonica and jazz bass, but sing baroque choral music.

2 Likes

Aretha & Ray Charles performing Two to Tango starts at 4:48.

3 Likes

I’m listening to the Dead South today. I went to their concert in 2019 at LKA Stuttgart, Germany with my daughter (she is a big fan).
Prior to the concert we met the band accidentally at a restaurant. They invited us to join the soundcheck and to hang around backstage.
What a great evening :slight_smile:

Here is another song of a band you may never have heard of: AnnenMayKantereit. They were supporting act of a singer managed by my brother in law.
I completely fell in love with them at first sight.

I miss going to concerts and meeting people so much.

4 Likes

Excellent choice. My daughter worked as a videographer for them around five years ago, I believe. Unfortunately, her video channel is private as she is now an academic :smile:

I’m on a nostalgia bump tonight, just had our next batch of flights cancelled, again.

Jf

1 Like

Friday night do-nuthin’ blues, by my hero and occasional (he likes Alaska and visits every couple of years) teacher, Charlie Musselwhite.

3 Likes

How wrong could one be. Similar band name, totally different genre! Dead South do not sound like a Thrash Metal band :rofl:

JF

1 Like

Hey, I’m diggin’ this music! Happy dance…was that a reference to Motley Crue in there?!
A ballad “amped up”. Really like. Probably do slower tunes very well.
I went to Scotland in the 1990’s , and it was the first time that I booked overseas directly off the internet. Before Airbnb, of course. I found a site, I think, that listed a bunch of rentals outside of Edinburgh, and booked a lovely rental on a working cow farm! It was delightful!!! Every morning the cows wandered over to our window to take a peek!LOL! They had one of those old-fashioned stoves that worked like a charm. The views were gorgeous. Even had a Medieval tower on a hill.
I used that site( and others, but there were not many sites at the time) to find properties in France ( converted space on a winery- glug, glug), etc.
My point- WAY BEFORE ppl in the U.S. learned about booking these unique properties, this was common in Europe. I think Americans responded to Airbnb because, as a Nation, we are not well-traveled AND we’re paranoid about traveling outside of the U.S., in general. My compliments to Scotland and that perfect rental!
Off-topic, sorry.

5 Likes

Celia Cruz…(always shouts: “azucar!”)

3 Likes

My youngest daughter and I often indulge in what we call musical snap, essentially just us on the patio taking turns to fire a tune through the Bluetooth speaker from our phones.

There’s usually a bottle of wine (or two) involved, and a multitude of genres. Circumstances are such that she is stuck in the UK, so tonight we did it via WhatsApp.

The twist tonight was that it had to be a track we’d heard live, just to make it interesting :smile:

Here are some highlights :smile:

You are so correct, and was C’s first card tonight.

Early versión, with Ronnie van Zant.

In no particular order, and without attribution, here’s a few others.

Grumpy old git, in fact even grumpier than me, but superb musician.

“if an officer stops you, promise you’ll always be polite”

Hmmm…

OK, it’s not Christmas, but who cares!

Just to annoy daughter :wink:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts

Taken way too soon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GP0X0CRMZLU

Obviously one of mine :wink:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bArK2Ypv7A4

Sorry, no subtitles!

Nice way to spend a Sunday evening, I hope the neighbours enjoyed it too. Interspersed with that lot was some great blues, hard rock and a cheeky wee Verdi.

Oh and several little glasses of Oloroso at my end :wink:

JF

3 Likes

A wee blast from the past for members as old (or even older!!!) than moi…

JF

My French teacher loved his accent, so the entire class had to learn the song, along with “Le Vie En Rose” by Edith Piaf. If I had only realized what was going to happen to the demographics of the US since the 60s, I would have taken Spanish!

Today it’s doing month end bookkeeping with a recording of our local Bach Society and the Bach Double Violin Concerto.

2 Likes

My YouTube channel. I play and record a song a day in my living room and then post it on Facebook. I’ve started adding those songs to my YouTube channel.

I started the song-a-day on March 30 to provide some cheer for Facebook friends who were struggling.

Here’s one of the songs I played and recorded, “Ashoken Farewell,” from Ken Burns’ “The Civil War": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TApGSncI5UQ

3 Likes

Today, it’s Ray Stevens, who I remember from years past.

A humorous take on life today!

1 Like

Started off listening to a local rock band, moved on to a bit of rock Flamenco (!) and finished up with:

Also came across this :grinning:

JF

1 Like

Today I woke up with the director of our (not held this year) Jazz and Classics Festival:

A little Bach at sunrise is a great way to start the day…

Now, after lunch, to the back garden to try to organize it for the coming winter. Clear and a little nippy this morning.