To review or not to review (when you know the experience was mutually disagreeable and the guest will surely leave a bad review in return) - POLL

But how do you KNOW? Do you carry a crystal ball along with that top hat? :tophat: There are three things really KNOWN in this world. Death, taxes and that Trump will say something idiotic every time he opens his mouth. :-1:

5 Likes

What purpose does that serve? Also the Automated message is reserved for the Bad bad crime of canceling on a guest.

1 Like

Sometimes you just know. Or, you think you do!

A guest with way many non-reviews can be a red light - I remember folk mentioning in other discussions here that the review system does not expose bad or borderline bad behavior because users choose either to say something ‘nice’ or not review at all.

Still, I’m not advocating it, it’s just an idea.

I don’t review every guest. I used to do it as a new host but it would often result in a bad return. I just don’t do it. Sure I care about other hosts, but I reserve the bad reviews for the REALLY bad.

1 Like

Btw, are people getting email notifications when a guest leaves you a review? They seem to have stopped recently?

They still send them, albeit hours after check out. That’s what you need so you have the deadline time for last minute review purposes.

I see. There’s a timelag in their email notification for this now. It was just be accident that I noticed the last 2-3 times that the departed guest had left a review - happened to be browsing the Profile > Reviews page. So it’s not been long enough in these cases for the email to come along.
Still, it might be a good thing if the email came in late or didn’t at all.

Yes, I got a notice when the guest who left day before yesterday, whom I hadn’t reviewed. left a review. If you haven’t reviewed the guest you get notified phone message. If you have reviewed the guest you get notified via the Dashboard.

1 Like

@Astaire

It may have to do with how you have chosen to receive notifications. I have never received a phone message from Air, only emails reminding me to review the last guest or alerting me that the guest has submitted a review.

1 Like

The email is important because it gives you the time to the minute of the deadline.

2 Likes

I have also noticed that if you don’t get the email, you can’t review yet.

1 Like

I checked this. And surely nothing’s changed in recent times in terms of my settings. Some code on airbnb side has changed on how email notifications are triggered/delivered when review events happen.

Good to know.

TLDR… BUT for BAD guests that I don’t want to provoke a review out of I have been using SmartBNB’s ‘bad review’ AI… its awesome. Sends the review 20 seconds before the deadline… So, I’m in the camp of Bad Review if I can’t get a retaliatory one!

2 Likes

(rubs hands together) tell me more about this

1 Like

@smartbnb.io are you awake?? Come out and play you magical AI maker you!!

Fair warning I have only ever used SmartBNB.IO for AI, but the ‘bad review’ option lets you write a bad review and then it is posted * I believe* 20 seconds before the review period closes. They also do cool things like ping you calendar (to help in search ranking) and monitor your search rankings.

2 Likes

Because we have two listings we treat them a little different. The more established listing already has over 40 reviews so we only review if they review us. Where the newer listing only has 5 reviews so we are reviewing everyone hoping to get a few more for that one.

1 Like

Polls rule and so do reviews.

1 Like

Here’s my two cents:

1. It’s game theory. You want to leave a review because if you don’t, Airbnb won’t allow you to leave a response to a guest review, especially if it turns out to be bad. So, to preserve your right to respond, you should review.

2. Here’s what I do. I always wait for the Airbnb email that says (something like): your guest, X, has left you a review. To read it, please review her before Y date." If I don’t get one, I do nothing. If I get one, I review the guest in very general terms (“I didn’t see her very much. She seemed nice when we did”). Having left a review, I get to see the guest review. If the guest review is bad, I leave a response to blunt or neutralize its effect. If the review is good, I thank her.

Peter.

Of course. We even have electricity and the internet. It’s great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Quite the spectacle isn’t it?