To cancel or not to cancel - She actually Block Booked Lots of local AirBNB

I do much the same. I subscribe to an online newsletter that publicizes upcoming area events. I also keep our calendar open a year into the future. And I have reminders on my own calendar four times a year about future event prices to adjust. It works out well. If I make a mistake, I also honor the lower price.

This attitude pisses me off SOOOOO FUCKING MUCH.

If eight months is too far away DON’T OPEN YOUR CALENDAR THAT FAR!!!
It’s 100000% in your control. My calendar is closed by default. I open dates around 3-4 months ahead of time. If yours is open until 2050, that’s your own fault.

When you put a price on a date and advertise those dates as available, that’s your offer to the marketplace. Walmart or Target would get sued if they put one price on the shelf and tried to jack it up at the cash register, because it’s a ethically bankrupt thing to do.

It’s just as repugnant for a host to change prices after dates are sold. That’s a CONTRACT between host and guest. As a traveler on Airbnb I can’t think of anything more infuriating or WRONG for a host to do.

You should only be listing dates you’re ready to host. You should only be pricing dates you’re ready to sell. Re-pricing dates that are already sold makes you a presidential-level asshole in my book.

7 Likes

Hosts that don’t want to price for events so far in advance can go to:

Listing–>Availability–>Reservation preferences

and change the Availability window to “3 months in advance”

3 Likes

Again, so much OTT. It would be one thing if these hosting sites prompted us to actively choose which months we want to have open vs. just automatically setting it up so that all future dates are open. Yes, I know that we CAN change that, but again that’s kind of expecting hosts to be super proactive about things they might not even be aware of.

I kind of just don’t know what to say. It’s one week, months off. I really don’t care much to continue this argument with anyone here. I kind of just feel bad for people who take this SO damn seriously. The guy can find another hotel or whatever. I’m sure he will be fine.

Being suckered into feeling like the world is going to end if you have to cancel or change a reservation is kind of bananas. It’s not. It’s not brain surgery. We’re not saving lives here. We’re offering some space in our homes. Let’s try to be sane about it.

And of course, you can’t change the price after a place has been booked. That’s business, and I’m pretty sure it’s illegal? But people, even business owners, are allowed to have unforeseen circumstances. If the cult of AirBnb has brainwashed us into thinking otherwise, I think we need to cut down on the Kool Aid a little :smiley:

I’m sorry to be so blunt…you’re either ethical or a scoundrel. I see no middle ground. The fact that you are looking into other platforms while deciding if you’re going to stiff these people speaks volumes. Karma is one heck of a mother …

7 Likes

I don’t understand this. It’s not about unforeseen circumstances, and it IS about changing the price after booking. A guest books, the host cancels, then offers the same product at a higher price to a different or even the same guest. Cancelling really is a big deal to guests, and it’s not just Airbnb Kool Aid. Homeaway/VRBO requires that a host pay for comparable accommodations for the guest if the host cancels. Hotels and Airlines can’t do this just to make more money, so why should Airbnb hosts?

4 Likes

This isn’t factual. When you set up a listing on Airbnb it does in fact prompt you to choose how many months in advance that you want your calendar open. It’s not a trick. It’s your responsibility. Take some, it’s really not that hard.

7 Likes

You are a terrible person for acting this way.

My area gets 100% booked. On prime weekends you CAN NOT find alternative accommodations.

People are trusting their vacations with me, and I take that seriously.

I hope you’re removed from the platform…each day you’re allowed to operate in this manner means one more day you tarnish the reputation of good, ethical, hardworking hosts. When you start hosting, Airbnb asks how you want your calendar managed. Yes, it’s your responsibility to manage, you twit.

Take your “La de dah, I shouldn’t be inconvenienced to think about my own damn business. Too bad for you if you’re the unfortunate guest affected by my piss poor planning and lack of concern for others” attitude elsewhere. I’m happy to not interact with you on this board again.

5 Likes

You can change the setting for how far in advance bookings open. Mine is 90 days.

2 Likes

Instead of beating round the bush, why don’t you just say what you are thinking :wink:

JF

7 Likes

Yes—a good host is “super proactive”. It is your business. It is your money. You are self employed. You either take responsibility or you don’t. We all make mistakes. We all learn. It is not anyone’s else’s responsibility.

Yes-I take it seriously when other hosts cancel for inappropriate reasons. Their unethical actions reflect on all of us.

When that unethical person is out of business or moved to a different platform, I will be plugging along dealing with the community lack of trust they left behind by cancelling a reservation.

5 Likes

People who don’t know about Jim Jones and the mass suicide of over 900 people including babies and children (cult) with cyanide laced kool-aid (those who refused were shot) don’t understand what they are saying.

They have no idea how offensive referencing “drinking the kool-aid” is and it references blindly following a leader to the point of having a meaningless death.

3 Likes

I didn’t know that. Every day is a school day.

What an unpleasant turn of phrase.

JF

3 Likes

How anyone could think it funny to reference the biggest mass murder-suicide the US has seen outside of 9/11 in relation to forum discussions, beggars belief.

@JohnF you might remember it being referred to as the Jonestown Massacre?

1 Like

Minor in comparison to 400% but otherwise definitely NOT minor in my mind!

The rationale is basic supply and demand. People are willing to pay it because the supply is low. The four times the amenity is the exact days and location.

2 Likes

I would definitely not have provided it without sufficient compensation for my time and money. But glad your lesson has now been learnt! :sunglasses:

Hotels and Airlines do this all the time.
Even worse they double book your seat at a higher price and then put you on the next one.

Or they just cancel the flight and dont fly at all.

1 Like

It was the reference to kool-aid I was unaware of, I hadn’t realised it was an actual expression folks used.

Little bit like in the U.K. saying… no, I won’t.

JF

1 Like

They do do this but they do compensate you for it. This host wasn’t offering any compensation to these guests.

2 Likes

B.S. Hotels/Airlines do not cancel your room/seat in order to sell the same room/seat to another customer at a higher price.

Overbooking is very different given that they still provide you a room at another hotel or a flight on another plane and additional compensation.

1 Like