To cancel or not to cancel - She actually Block Booked Lots of local AirBNB

Nope - but my guess is there are more than four times the usual number of people looking to book. :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice.

We inadvertently didnā€™t realise our calendar had rolled on to December January the first year we hosted. Weā€™d set an attractive pice for early reviews and then got a request for Xmas for four days. We realised this would normally attract at least twice the price, but having offered it and they legally accepted consideration, we had little opinion but to go ahead. That said morally we felt we should anyway.
Nearer the stay we received a request for a Christmas tree. Yes we provided a tree and dressed our barn.
Lesson learntšŸ˜Ž

Iā€™ve been in this situation before. For me itā€™s simply a question of ethics. And as someone who tries to do the right thing I would honour the booking.

I would make a note on the booking so Iā€™d remember to bump the rate up should they cancel for some reason (and thatā€™s one cancellation Iā€™d be happy to take!).

5 Likes

This. This has been discussed before, where a host wants to cancel a legitimate booking simply because they can make more money. Yes, you can do it, but itā€™s pretty shitty behaviour to penalise a guest simply because you werenā€™t on the ball.

Weā€™re open twelve months ahead, sometimes fifteen months. If weā€™re unsure of exact dates to annual events then we block off the surrounding dates until they are confirmed.

JF

3 Likes

This has happened to me too, a couple of times albeit for regional or small events. Weā€™ve honoured the bookings both times - putting it down to experience. Like most, I would not cancel.

2 Likes

I agree with the majority. We too have had the same experience and honoured the booking. Its a learning experience. Sometimes when you lose you win!

2 Likes

You need to do the right thing and leave the reservation as is.

What goes around, comes around.

Gary

1 Like

Ouch! That does hurt but I agree with the majority of posts on hereā€¦ it would be in poor taste to cancel. Also @Allison_H I love your idiot tax conceptā€¦ I had the exact same thing and called it my ā€œstupid billā€ (Fortunately for me the stupid bill has gone down considerably since I got engaged and drastically reduced my alcohol consumption)

One thing I can suggest is to make your far-in-the-future dates much more expensive by default, and then lower them as the dates draw nearer if they are still not booked. This is similar to the way airlines price tickets. This way, even if you donā€™t realize there is an event, you still get a higher price for people who book way in advance. People who book really far in advance typically are very inflexible or they know something you donā€™t, so you can do a bit of price discrimination on them.

5 Likes

There are a lot a crappy hosts. Sorry that happened to you.

3 Likes

It happened to me to. In September I had set smart pricing on, hopping to get better position in searches for October and November, and got a 7 days booking for July. At first I thought it was a Airbnb glitch sending old messages , than I saw it was next year, than I saw it was almost 1/3 of the price I would get for that week, and than I saw it was the weekend when we have the Ultra festivalā€¦ I never had before a 7 days stay( usually 2 to 3 days, after I have set a 2 days minimum), they even got a 7 days discountā€¦argghhh
I politely asked if this was a mistake. The lady replied it was a early planing, and I tought,: lucky you, you deserve it with so good organized lifeā€¦
Immidiately turned smart pricing off for next year, and learned my lesson.

Anyway, if somebody from Airbnb stuff is reading this. Smart pricing should consider the season in some part of world, and not offer the minimum price set in that period, because there are, one year in advance, not many people looking at your listing

2 Likes

Absolutely, I had the same experience in trying to book ab ABB for the first time. The host even told me ā€œI hope you understand, being a fellow hostā€ but then declined us bc she wanted to book more than her two night minimum. As a guest, I didnā€™t get to say anything (or missed that opportunity if it was there) but she should have been told ā€œNo. I do not understand. You are a greedy host.ā€ And her dates should have been blocked, but they werenā€™t. I hope the members of this forum wouldnā€™t be such opportunistic jerks.

3 Likes

I believe most of us arenā€™t.

JF

2 Likes

I donā€™t think thatā€™s possible. Even the best algorithm in the world couldnā€™t do itā€¦yet. And when/if they can, weā€™ll all be minions in a computer driven universe so :scream:

Was it a decline or a cancel?

1 Like

Rooky mistake: sadly you learn as you go if you are not fully engaged with your biz and the area whats available - key to be successful long term host - know your area whats on - whats great - make your place the go to place to stay for golf players - create your home as a golf theme -
take advantage of the opportunity
but dont cancel them - its not the host way

1 Like

I think people are being a little OTT here. The event is so far away, she didnā€™t know about it, and honestly it feels like AirBnb sets us up for these pitfalls in a lot of ways. If they were really thinking about us hosts (or guests) and not their own bottom line, I donā€™t think they would be allowing / encouraging bookings to be scheduled so far ahead of time. They seem to keep confusing us with hotels, and therefore our guests keep confusing us with them. I am not sure I would book an AirBnb that far ahead of time. Iā€™m not saying ā€œguest should have known betterā€ Iā€™m just saying itā€™s a bit much to expect your average host to know whatā€™s going to be going on 8 months from now, or further! It sets an expectation thatā€™s hard to live up to. Which seems to be AirBnbā€™s specialty. I think we need to stand up to it more.

Youā€™re joking arenā€™t you? Iā€™ve got no idea how the ā€œaverage hostā€ runs their business, but a good host should certainly know when their peak periods are.

Itā€™s like hosting 101, i.e. when can I increase my prices to cater for an increased demand.

JF

3 Likes

8 months is not very far into the future for traveling. I have bookings as far out as May right now. I also tend to get better prices for dates booked further in advance.

2 Likes

We control how far in advance people can book.

My window is 12 months. The local tourism board posts a calendar of events usually for the next 12 months but sometimes 18-24 months depending on how large the event is.

I usually goof up 1x a year and miss an income opportunity or accidentally underquote a special offer. Thatā€™s on me and I honor the booking price. (@Allison_H is idiot tax is a perfect name for it)

4 Likes