TIP to make hosting easier

lols, KEN can say what he likes, Lynn gets put in her place…

Oops, didn’t mean to - just pointing out that we’re all different :slight_smile:

It sure felt that way. I’m on a different forum that will remove hosts that bash other hosts for trying to make them wrong. Just saying.

1 Like

Perhaps you could post yours, for me to bypass Kennywenny!

Never mind Ken I would decline you immediately

The host fits that description more so than the guests.

I can only imagine how calming the aesthetics are. :astonished:

2 Likes

Pretty sure, that’s why this is in your listing details. I assume @diamond54 has selected the appropriate response.

Guest%20Interaction

1 Like

Harsh. It sounds like many guests are too lazy to read the guide, so Diamond54 has found a solution.

2 Likes

this reminds my Airbnb I stayed last year in Rethymno, Creete. The host was a darling, brought us grapes, figs, tomatoes daily but I had to rely on my intuition operating the washer and dryer. All the info was in greek :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I posted here to try to offer advice and tips that I have found helpful,didnt think there would be so much hostility.

5 Likes

Actually this is why I don’t like the signs. A couple of weekends ago I stayed in an airbnb where they had a lot of post-Its. it was newly redone, beautiful and everything, but with the postits, God, it looked like my office, right? everything scribbled by hand and the owner was probably a doctor, so horrible his handwriting was. Trying to figure out the wifi password was like solving crossword puzzles. we tried like 7 times, was it caps? was it a space or not? is that an s or number 5? Horrible! that’s why I prefer to be sent info via messages, to see with my own eyes. the other postists said “don;t buy movies on netflix or whatever” and the other " watch movies and whatever channels they had". I have netflix and a few other channels on my phone, laptop. I don’t need theirs.

2 Likes

I occasionally operate a self check-in, and I always dread to think what I will find once they’ve left. Twice, half the curtains are left dangling because a guest can’t fathom the drawstrings that open and shut the curtains. Each guests head will have a combination of 2 pillows, giving various options for head-height…but imagine trying to keep their attention whilst you read through a checklist of ‘don’t stain pillow covers with spot cream, this lever closes the plug in the sink, this is how the shower door shuts’…when all they want after a days travel is to have a quick piss, and go for a beer. Little stickers/signs is a great idea.

3 Likes

Far from lazy,I do all my own cleaning and I work a full time job besides taking care of disabled relatives. I respond to requests immediately, have excellent reviews(250). Have never had to cancel a guest,I have a perfect superhost record.Do you?

6 Likes

Actually one time I saw something I liked and perhaps I will borrow the idea if needed.
A host had like a big black magnetic sign covering her fridge door. On it she wrote the rules with chalk
“parking on xyz spot”
“no shoes in the house”
“wash your own dishes before leaving”
“strip beds before leaving and put them in the laundry”
“don’t forget ti put the key back in the lockbox”

That’s not the point. I have twice as many five star reviews as you and I don’t like signs either. Some people are just saying they don’t like signs. Just because they don’t use them doesn’t mean they aren’t a good host. Just because you do use them doesn’t mean you aren’t a good host.

4 Likes

Since you asked, I do. And for the last year, it has been AirBnb Plus, where you have suggested that expectations are higher.

I rarely get the types and multiple questions that OP describes, and I don’t have any notes or signs all over my guest house.

I offer both self-checkin or a personal checkin (most opt for the latter). I provide a detailed well organized guest manual with all the information necessary (that includes pictures) which I review with those who I checkin. Of approximately 130 guests maybe 10% have had one or two operational questions done via ABNB messaging.

• Maybe my guests are different than OP’s;
  • Maybe I have a different method than OP initially offered;
  • Maybe because I have a different attitude toward my guests → I don’t consider them (or people in general) as “inherently lazy”. For the most part my guests have been kind, considerate, appreciative, and respectful.

I do know that if I ever get to the point of comprising aesthetics to post countless signs and instructions and not focusing on the guest, I’ll stop hosting and get out of the hospitality business.

OP and I take different approaches which mirrors the main thing I’ve learned on this forum, that one size does not fit all. Those who like her advice and tips, I’m sure are very grateful.

For me, I just can’t fathom implementing much of what was suggested. And I can’t imagine staying in such a place.

• Good news is that if I saw listing photos with all the signs and notes, I would know enough not to book.
  • Bad news is that if they weren’t represented in the listing photo’s and I showed up to find the place the way OP describes it, I would opt to not check in.
3 Likes

I can only tell you all of my guests are quite happy and leave five-star reviews so I’m doing something right. No need to get your undies in a wad ; everyone has their own style of hosting, this works for me just fine .Thx!

1 Like

I think little signs to explain things that are tricky are good. If you want me to do things a certain way that I might not remember from reading the house manual and it’s a big deal, then a sign reminding me would be appreciated.

What’s offputting to me is the recent trend of walls and throw pillows preaching at me seemingly everywhere I do. I don’t need a sign directing me to live, laugh, and love. I was born with those skills.:relaxed:

9 Likes

Glad that’s settled now that it’s been repeated multiple times.

3 Likes

Well, I’ve always wanted to own a ‘real’ bed and breakfast. I feel that people in my experience, want real human contact in our busy hurried lives. You may be a young person that feels ‘put off’ by all the questions and chatter. But I live by myself and really appreciate meeting so many unique individuals. For example, a monk on a motorcycle who came to my place exhausted after riding from NY, to WV! A Naturopathic Doc from Sweden. A Student from China going to college, a couple on their honeymoon, (at my little fishing camp)? A violinist from Canada who asked if she could practice just a little? Yes please! I could write a book! But, people are fascinating if you just take the time to listen. I am some times 98% booked, and Airbandb is almost half my income, I do get tired, but I just mark off my calendar, and go away for a bit, come back, and do it all over again. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Trust me I have listened to guests, over 300 of them in the last 4 years I met every guest, staying up as late as midnight to meet them. I’m taking my business in a new direction to save time,I make it clear if they want contact to text me. I do socialize with those that want contact.Geusts have told me they appreciated the little signs…

1 Like

You know what they say when you ass-u-me…

4 Likes