TIP to make hosting easier

Post it notes are unprofessional.I had mine printed out professionally, they are small,about the size of a business card, The guests have told me they appreciated the little signs and all my reviews are great, if I had a lot of negative feedback I would have changed.

It calls self-preservation.
We all are different…and if OP gets overwhelmed with guests more than others it’s her choice how to conduct herself as a host.
Signs are great ideas…I love when hosts put signs everywhere I can follow to avoid unnessesary conflicts

3 Likes

But I’m still not entirely clear on one thing, does everyone have their own style of hosting?

3 Likes

I also have signs posted, in Spanish and English, an information sheet on the door and a master binder with some graphics. I know it’s all too cutesy but I can’t help myself. People still ask me questions that are in the first line of my listing description and I just patiently answer. (Or at least I act patient)

I have a planner with laminated pages likehttps://onplanners.com/planners/cool-design I have the following pages in my welcome book:
Hello/Welcome page that has my contact info, the address (surprising, but sometimes in groups only one person might actually have the address), wifi info and any other topline info.
Transportation options
How things work - info on where the trash is, how to use the tv, any special info about things like filtered water in fridge, etc.
Suggestions for local food like delivery, fancy places, local bars, etc.
Health/Wellness - I have a page for info like where are the local gyms, pools, hair salons, nail salons, etc.
Groceries/Shopping - info about 24-hour pharmacy, supermarkets, local malls, etc.

My approach is to put colourful luggage labels with helpful stuff on them and stick to cooker, microwave, radiator, TV etc - works fine and people have commented on how well the idea works. - It provides infomation in context - so if they dont use the radiators then they dont have to wade through loads of bumpf to learn about the heating

2 Likes

I have that too! I have found people dont really read it and I get pummeled w questions, hence the tiny signs have stoppped questions at 11:30 at night🤗

Makes sense.if i was a guest I would appreciate it

I’m with you. I have a manual, a quick guide referencing the manual and helpful signs for wifi, light switches and how to use the TV (one for each TV and all TVs are the same setup). No one ever reads the manual. I know because it’s paper and in pristine condition.

I also label the linen closet, laundry room, lawn games closet and closets withextra pillows and blankets. This way no one has to guess. I have friendly checkout instructions that keep it as simple for guests as possible and include what they don’t have to do so they’re is no guessing.

My goal is to be helpful without having unattractive notes everywhere so they are placed carefully.

No one has ever given feedback that it’s taken away from their stay and i rarely get questions. Many have said how easy it was to get settled because of the notes. As a guest myself i prefer not to bother the house for every question (and they get annoyed…i know i do and i know many of you do based on these posts because everyone has a different idea of what should be obvious) so notes are fantastic.

Rarely a guest wants to interact and when they do, i do. And I’m unlikely to get gets who are there for my company as my listing states they have complete privacy unless they would like to interact.

As a guest one of my pet peeves is having to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out the remote or wondering If I’m going to break something (once stayed in Europe and couldn’t figure out the very fancy appliances late at night and didn’t want to bother host and thought, surely this most be obvious if it’s not in the 15 page guide book). Every set up is slightly different and it perplexes me how many hours don’t provide instructions, assuming it’s intuitive.

We’ll done OP.

5 Likes

I’m with you! My thoughts exactly

This topic got quite heated very quickly. Yes I do have a apartment manual but I think if you can’t fit individual instructions on a luggage label then it’s too complex

1 Like

Yes, I hate those stupid “message” art/pillows. One is tolerable, but if there’s more than one I don’t think I’d book.

3 Likes

Saw one just last night that has preaching all over the walls. Big 100 point font letters over the bed say “RELAX”. Gee, thanks for that, Dear Host. Without that sign, I’d have no clue what to use a bed for…

Would you prefer 100 (or 115 or since it’s less letters) that said “SEX” instead? :wink:

3 Likes