This forum exhausts me

You did.

And you also talked about noticing little things that go wrong. So it reminded me of this movie. There’s another scene where the tourist says he’s a vegetarian and they just bring him a potato on a plate. I love this movie and this thread made me think of it so I posted a funny bit from it.

3 Likes

I did? I said about traveling Ukrainians? I said about me traveling.
In many countries they don’t have many options for vegetarians…but there is always that potato.

2 Likes

Not “traveling Ukrainians” per se, just about traveling in this thread and in another thread with Jess you were discussing Ukraine and Russia and Europe. And though the traveler in this movie is American the themes of misunderstanding when traveling are there. Something’s lost in translation I guess.

1 Like

A ok, I didn’t know you mixed two together. Yes lots gets lost in translation. By the way that actor is not Ukrainian. I think somewhere close but accent definitely not from Ukraine

That’s Eugene Hutz of the band Gogol Bordello! Ukraine born but I don’t know what happened to his accent.

His life is similar to mine. He was born 20 minutes away by train from my town and also immigrated to US when he was very young. When you come to another country very young you kind of loose your native accent but nevertheless you never speak new language without accent. That’s why I couldn’t recognise familiar sounds

1 Like

I’ve never seen this movie but the description sounds perfect.

3 Likes

Learning requires listening & understanding; and as part of any healthy discussion, we can’t expect everyone to agree with us.

There are a number of people who have offered different perspectives for you to consider. Unfortunately (and excuse me if I may have missed it) the only time you’ve ever thanked someone is when they have agreed with or complimented you. Looking for people who only agree with us or who provide accolades, is a very Trumpian quality (and not something conducive to a forum)

In regards to ‘guest left 5 minutes after checking in saying it was too small and not good value’ I’ve looked at your listing(s) and I can see how someone might think the unit is small and while it may offer total privacy inside, what your listing description / photos is missing is the fact that arrival and departure is very visible to the 3 other units. Maybe this couple needed more discretion than this quad provided? BUT (and this is where I agree with you) I can not understand how the guest didn’t see the size from the listing photos or have done a google maps (as I did) to see what they were getting before they arrived. “Villa” or not, the lack of due diligence is on the guest and they shouldn’t be refunded (my opinion).

With that said the thing we (ALL hosts) need to ensure that we are representing our properties accurately. If we embellish, photoshop too much, are not forthcoming, and/or make assumptions that guests will interpret things the way we want them to, then it’s on the host for missed expectations. I’m struggling with this now that I’m subject to ABNBplus photos which aren’t very forthcoming My perspective is I’d rather lose a booking than have someone be disappointed when they arrive.

Looking over the many comments you’ve made I only offer this:

• there are several posts that got dissected resulting, positively, in reality & details being extracted (especially in ‘Why has no one asked me how I earn 10,000 a month’ and ‘Pet Peeves’) yet this is something that you seem to feel is belittlement and lack of support.

• there are suggestions that you’ve made to others that your own listings might heed your own advice: 1. the towels in the bathroom look a little sloppy, 2. irrelevant & redundant photos, 3. the toilet - I don’t need to see that, 4. the bathroom shown before the living room and bedroom, 5. multiple photos of the same thing.

• I am not willing to open myself or the places I manage to the possibility of online sabotage. You do realize that a Google search using the most basic information you’ve provided brings up your listings.

• I wasn’t aware I had to ask a question to post on the forum
    I don’t think that you do, but don’t be offended if someone comments. If you choose to remain and participate you might advise what you are expecting in response, if anything: Advice, Agreement, Discussion? If you just want to share your experience with no commentary, then state that it is FYI only, and don’t feel you have to defend yourself everytime someone offers a difference of opinion.

Humorously, if no commentary is wanted its probably not good to start with “Why has no one asked me how I earn 10,000 a month?’

If you choose to drop out, I (we all) wish you well. The discussion is good, it makes us all realize “one size does not fit all” and we all can learn from one another, if we just listen.

PS. “this is FYI only, no reply is necessary” :stop_sign:

16 Likes

We had a guest who worked for Amazon. She considered herself well travelled because her job afforded her the ability to book a nice Airbnb by and by. When she demanded 4 hours early check-in for her TWELVE guests, I responded that it would require $75 additional fee that would go directly to our concierge because he needed to re-schedule his calendar and come in earlier than expected to set up (ie: possibly canceling his own plans). The guest threw a hissy fit. Insisted that ALL her extensive Airbnb stays were free to check-in early. Well… she must not have traveled to Palm Springs, the most regulated STR city in the United States. Cities are different. What is spending “a lot of money” is even subjective. You’d figure a well traveled person would know that.

2 Likes

Thank you, a well thought out, well-reasoned post.

I think the points you made are ones we can all learn from as forum members.

6 Likes

@HH_AZ thank you for that!

1 Like

I understand the reasons for charging for early check-in/late check-out, however, until it becomes the norm in the hospitality industry I would stay away from it. I wouldn’t throw a fit, but would also feel somewhat taken advantage of. It is just not the norm right now, maybe someday it will be, like bag fee’s on airlines. My thoughts.

As hosts with only a single room or house we are the ones being taken advantage of when people ask to stay for free, not the other way around. I don’t even want to host the kind of guest who doesn’t understand this very basic concept.

5 Likes

Your guests doesn’t understand the concept because 90% of the places they have stayed at would not charge for early check-in.

1 Like

I know of quite a few hotels that offer a half day rate for people wanting early check in/late check outs.

I don’t do back to back bookings so if I like a guest I’m happy within reason to offer a late check out, luggage hold if it works for me.

Early check ins not so much as it interferes with my cleaner’s schedule.

2 Likes

It is true that I’ve never been charged for early check in. It’s also true that I’ve not been allowed to check in early 90% of the time that I’ve asked, or even given an option to pay more. I am now noticing with some hotels in a certain price range that there is more flexibility and options to get flexible check in by paying more.

I have not had the experience of being offered free early check in but I’m probably not staying in the class of hotel to which you refer.

1 Like

I just stayed at an Airbnb in Twentynine Palms the other day that I paid several thousands of dollars to have an event there. An 80 acre estate. I paid for half a day extra in order to check-in our crew early. Most people are fine with the fee. It is not a 90/10 ratio I assure you.

1 Like

This is clearly the typical lodging experience.

May be that’s why she threw a fit because she mostly got what she wanted in her numerous travels .

1 Like

I must be misunderstanding you. Are you asserting that 90% of accomodations offer early check in at no additional charge?