Things Guests Request in Private Feedback

I actually give out a suggestion form, and request rankings on the following items. To quote verbatim from the form:

Please rate these possible improvements on a scale of 0 to 10, where 0 means you don’t care at all, and 10 means it would be a excellent
improvement.

The items currently are:

A desktop computer in the tower room
An office chair for the desk
A fridge in the tower room
A faster internet connection in the tower room
Wall-mounted LED TV in the tower room
Netflix in the tower room
Sitting room in the balcony garden
A sofa to sit on in the front entrance room
A better sofa in the kitchen area
A coffee machine
Washer and dryer
Better taps and shower mixer in the bathroom
Soap and shampoo containers attached to the bathroom shower wall

Washer and dryer consistently get high rankings. Fridge, ditto. I actually got a fridge a couple of weeks ago. But there were some problems with it - I thought it was a manufacturing defect, but it seems to be the case that it is not a bug but a feature.

The few guests I’ve had rarely give unsolicited feedback. Though the one lady did suggest adding a fan to the bathroom. Upon inquiry, I discovered that there used to be one, but it had broken, though the mount was still there. So I re-added it.

Also another couple were briefly accidentally locked in to the room area. The door leading to the room has a door that has a latch that locks. And that latch used to be regularly used to keep the doors closed, since it lacked a proper lock. So the lady suggested adding a lock. An obvious suggestion which I had never thought of. So I added a lock, and removed the latch.

I give up…what is the feature on your fridge that you initially thought was a manufacturing defect?

It wasn’t intended as a puzzle. I didn’t think it was an interesting detail for third parties.

The door does not close smoothly. When it is close to closing, one feels a slight obstruction, and it makes a noise, sort of a tu-tuk. It does not stop the door from closing, but I got a replacement which also does the same thing, and the display unit in the nearby store also was reported to do the same, though I’ve not checked personally. So, a manufacturing defect shared by three different fridges probably isn’t a manufacturing defect, though I cannot imagine why such a “feature” should exist, or what it’s purpose could be. Something to do with locking, apparently. Though as per usual, the “mechanics” were splendidly vague about this. And I’ve never encountered another fridge that had anything resembling this “feature”.

The mechanics who tried to “fix” the issue found that there was a plastic part attached to the bottom of the fridge. And when that was removed, the problem went away. So, one imagines there is some point to it. But my imagination, at least, boggles.

I could take a hard line, and try to return it, though that is usually difficult in India. But I’m not sure if it is worth the effort.

Ahh-so faheem. Well guess what, I had a double-door fridge that did the same thing at the base of the right hand door. Drove me nuts. It was like a soft speed bump.

The tech told me that perhaps there were too many bottles and other items in the door. I replied that there were only as many as would properly fit, so what was their answer B. He suggested leveling the fridge. That didn’t do squat. The door would sorta hang up and not close on the first swing and I would have to walk back and give it another push…with a bit more force.

When I noticed that my right arm muscle was noticeably larger than the left, I sent that fridge on its way and got an LG fridge with the cooler on the on top and the freezer drawer on the bottom.

Now I’m getting a callous on my knee.

2 Likes

Interesting. So I’m not the only person in the world to experience this weirdness. And yes, it’s exactly like a speed bump.

Yes, that’s exactly what it does. Except this fridge is (a) empty (b) new. I guess I could just take out the little plastic doohickey at the bottom. At least that worked with the first fridge. I still don’t know what the point of it is.

My yoga instructor proposed the (imo, wacky) theory that the idea was to force the user to push the door hard to make sure it closed.

Heh, this fridge is actually an LG. It’s a two-door thing. Freezer on top, cooler below. The freezer door is fine. It’s the larger cooler door below which is the problem.

…hmmm, one would think a yoga instructor would promote calm and peaceful acceptance of what is; of gentleness and tranquility…rather than one of force and aggressiveness toward a refrigerator door. (ha!)

I think people flip them down or unplug them to access more outlets.

1 Like

Yes I love it, first get a Electric Kettle, boil water, grind your beans, place the coffee grunds into the glass (or other?) flask.

Pour in boiling hot water, wait (look out the window, yawn, pet the dog), then push plunger (filtering mechanism) slowly down and watch the rich dark color appear.

Best and only way to make coffee (let the debate begin).

Hi @SandyToes,

I don’t think he was advocating closing the fridge door harder. It was just his theory about what the manufacturers were thinking. And he might be right - Indians can be a bit mad - why should fridge manufacturers be different? LG is Korean, but who knows where design decisions are made for a fridge manufactured in India.

I posted on Amazon India about this yesterday. Got two replies. One said there was no problem. The other said he was seeing exactly the same issue.

That probably needs its own separate dedicated thread. :slight_smile:

By fan people mean fan that ventilates air, not hair dryer, right? If thats the case, i had one guy suggesting that, bu ti really dont understand the need for it.

I had people asking for computer desk few times, but i am not going to put it there. There is not much space in a room, it has a king size bed, and dresser with TV. If i put a desk it will be hard to walk

1 Like

all I want to debate is who is really behind this colorful new monikker “bladdersmear trouser”

2 Likes

Hi @Yana_Agapova,

That’s certainly what I meant here, yes. The fan in the bathroom is an ordinary cooling/ventilating fan. Not an extractor fan, or an exhaust fan, which might be different. (I’m not really sure of the differences between these.)

A desk is probably more useful for most people than a TV. You could get a wall mounted TV. I might do that too - currently I have a big old Sony CRT, which takes up quite a lot of space. I haven’t rented to many people, but as far as I can tell, not one person has actually switched it on. They all seem really busy doing stuff.

I have a computer screen that is linked with a tablett (Chromecast). Very cheap and people love it (netflix and others streaming).

Plus as it’s not a regular TV, I don’t need to pay TV licence fees

TV is on a dresser that my long term guests need. There is a space that i could use for a desk, but room will lokk very crowded.
I dont get it, about fan. WHy is there a need for a fan in a a bathroom? You mean the standing fan, or the one a switch?

most of my guests travel with computer. I just log them in into Netflix if they want. Many have their Netflix account. I just put TVs in rooms because i want to do long term more and more. I had several guests commenting of no TVs in rooms.

LED TVs and computer LED screens are increasingly indistinguishable. Is your computer screen wall mounted? I don’t think my small desk has space for a computer screen.

Oh, if you are not saving any room by removing the TV, then don’t bother. My TV sits on its own stand, so I’d save space by removing it. And it’s a small room. As regards a desk, I’d ask your guests what they think. Including whether adding a desk would make it more crowded. What’s the approximate sq ft area?

Well, my bathroom gets very hot. So the fan is for cooling. One can also put an extractor fan in a bathroom, but it’s function is to remove humidity, I believe.

I’m not sure what you mean. It’s a wall mounted fan.