Things Guests Request in Private Feedback

I am 56 years old and I use a washcloth to wash my face.

3 Likes

Not in the U.S. About a quarter of my guests under age 30 (well, Iā€™m guessing their ages) use the provided washcloths.

DC!!! I strongly advise you NOT to offer candles! I did at one timeā€¦ I had candles all over my room. Then I noticed one time a guest had left them unattended. Another one burned a hole in my tablecloth, but thank god it was only that. It could have burned the whole house down. I once did a ride along with a firefighter who told me that the NUMBER ONE cause of house fires after kitchen ones was unattended candles.

Rememberā€¦ many guests are air heads. Get flameless tea lights! Learn from my mistake! Iā€™d be the worldā€™s biggest idiot if I let my guests have candles for ambience and they burned my house down. Then the only ambience Iā€™d have would be inside my car because thatā€™s where Iā€™d be living.

Get rid of the candles! (Steps off soapbox)

2 Likes

@konacoconutz

Itā€™s candy plural not candle plural. LOL.

3 Likes

LOL!!! I must be losing my mind? And itā€™s not even happy hour yet! :smile:

But please hosts, NO CANDLES!!!

2 Likes

Felix, this is a great thread. Just when you think youā€™ve thought of everything, something like this comes along. As stated, it doesnā€™t really apply to us because we usually will have uncovered useful tidbits from guests by actively soliciting feedback. But if the thread is viewed more as ā€œThings you might not have thought of that guests are unlikely to mentionā€, itā€™s terrific.

Incidentally, Iā€™m with Kona: candles? Are you nuts??? Itā€™s like handing a guest some matches and asking where theyā€™d like the gasoline.

1 Like

Well Mo, itā€™s dusk, Iā€™m over 40 and I read candies as candles!
Time for wine!

1 Like

Actually laughed out loud at that one, thanks @jaquo :smiley:

1 Like

I did too Kā€¦Iā€™m blaming the wine and the fact we donā€™t regularly use the word ā€˜candyā€™ or ā€˜candiesā€™ here (we say sweets or lollies) so my brain defaulted to a fire risk!

3 Likes

Bed side lamp. Added it.
Bed side lamp in both sidesā€¦ No because then you canā€™t open wardrobe door.
ACā€¦no.
Kitchen tableā€¦not enough room, but have a coffee table.
Hair dyer. They can have mine as I never use it, which is why I never thought of adding one. I also leave the iron and ironing board in the flat as I also rarely iron.

1 Like
  • Detailed directions to the place

A few guests complained that they had trouble finding the place. I resolved that problem.

Advices I followed:
Mattress cover
More pillows
TV in a room
Queen bed instead of full size
Lamp on a nightstand

Advices I ignored:
Mirror in a room ( there is one in private bath)
Breakfast
Nicer sheets
Desk

All the advices I followed were multiple, what I ignored were made each only once

1 Like

In the place I stayed last week there were candles in every room and at least ten matchboxes scattered around. The smoke detector was also removed.

It really left me wondering about the hostā€™s sanity.

4 Likes

Agreed! That host is playing with fire.

2 Likes

But there is no drying rack or other place to put the dishes while they dry.

They are in NYC. No electric kettle, but there are some interesting DIY projects, like this attempt to customize the toilet handle:

1 Like

I stayed in Honduras in a wooden lodge where owner provided candles and matches but also there were no fire alarm. I thought the same thing that owner is crazy. I even asked her if she is not afraid that her guest at one point will burn the lodge and themselves leaving it on at night

2 Likes

Maybe she had to remove the smoke detector because all those burning candles kept setting it offā€¦

3 Likes

@jaquo, Iā€™ve had FRENCH guests who donā€™t know how to use a cafetiere! Actually, weā€™ve found that a lot of younger French travellers prefer tea to coffee, especially at breakfast. Go figure, as our US friends say ā€¦

As for the sunglasses ā€¦ remember the Fawlty Towers episode; ā€œTheyā€™re on your HEAD, Mrs Richards!ā€? Good old Basil, he could teach us a thing or two about guest control ā€¦

3 Likes

Guests do the strangest things with candles! It isnā€™t just the allowing them to burn unattended.

We had a guest in the fall who tried to roast a pumpkin over one of these three-wick candles.

3 Likes