There should be a Most Obnoxious Guest of the Year Award

1 Like

The only thing I can come to conclusion from his messages that heā€™s lying about his IQ. He has no idea what heā€™s doing.

Smart scammers operate in much better ways.

2 Likes

he is thinking about his contributions to societyā€¦?
I wonder how a PITA contributesā€¦

Dear Christopher:

My own 154 IQ gives me the capacity to recognize a hustle when I see one.

Nice try.

OR

The transparency of your unsophisticated attempt to hustle an undeserved refund for 60% of our agreed-upon Airbnb fee has convinced me that there was an error when you tested yourself at realiq.online. If you paid any money for their online IQ test, THAT is where you should be seeking a refund.

7 Likes

Heā€™s such a genius that he left off the apostrophe in ā€œunitsā€ and made an uncorrected typo of ā€œbeā€ instead of ā€œmeā€. I guess heā€™s too busy contributing his thoughts and energies to society (like threatening his host with ā€œdrastic stepsā€) to concern himself with punctuation and spelling.
(BTW, Christopher is the host- the guest was ā€œDillonā€)

There are a lot of weird IQ tests online that have nothing to do with intelligence. The questions are all about facts to which very intelligent people may not have been exposed.

1 Like

There are also people who may have a high IQ, but no emotional intelligence, social skills or self-awareness.

Truly amazing how much self awareness people lack.

Also:

As someone with an incredibly high IQ (according to realiq.online, over 130), My mind needs a peaceful placeā€¦

There is the erroneous capitalisation plus dodgy grammar because of the ā€˜as someone [blah blah] my mindā€¦ā€™

His mind isnā€™t someone.

3 Likes

Reminds me of a guy I dated a few times when I was in college. His IQ kept going up on every date (donā€™t ask me why he felt he had to mention it on every date), and I kept wondering ā€œif heā€™s so smart, why canā€™t he remember his IQ?ā€.

5 Likes

Some good advice in the comments:

ā€œHe ends his message with a threat, so if he writes a bad reviews after you refuse him the hefty discount, you might be able to have it taken down.ā€

The thing is, this was a whatsapp message the guest sent to the host- a lot of refund scammer guests are hip to not making these sort of threats in Airbnb messages. Whether Airbnb will take off-platform messages into account is a bit of a crap shoot, I think. Iā€™ve read posts over the years saying Airbnb did, and some saying they wouldnā€™t.

Yeah, Iā€™m always weary when a guest contacts me off the app. If the conversation seems odd in the slightest I will move the conversation back to the app and reiterate what they said there so itā€™s somewhat documented.

@Justarock Off-topic, but I have been seeing this so often these days that Iā€™m really curious. People are using the word ā€œwearyā€ instead of ā€œwaryā€. I see it several times a week, in forum posts and even articles by so-called journalists. Is it just predictive text inputting that and people donā€™t notice the error before they post, or is it a matter of not knowing the difference between the two words? (I realize you can only speak for yourself, not all the others who do that)

1 Like

I went to public school in the US :wink:

Seriously though, I have always used ā€œwearyā€ and never thought twice about it. I will take note in the future and use the correct one.

ā€œWearyā€ means tired. ā€œWaryā€ means suspicious. But thanks for answering that.
Itā€™s pretty astounding to me that native English speakers donā€™t know the meanings of simple words. Even if someone didnā€™t have a great education, it seems like people would have picked up word meanings over time from reading or listening.

1 Like

I saw a news alert from a so-called journalist the other day which started ā€˜if you of sawā€¦ā€™

I assumed this meant ā€˜if you have seenā€¦ā€™

True.

:roll_eyes:

There you are, then. :wink:

Itā€™s a common confusion these days. @muddy is correct and many people confuse leery (suspicious) and wary (a bit suspicious) and combine them to make weary.

Barely and bearly, quiet and quietā€¦ā€¦.? They jar me!

Oh, donā€™t get me started on the use of the past tense in compound verbs which necessitate the past participle. I canā€™t count how many times a week I read ā€œI have ranā€ or ā€œHe had wroteā€ or ā€œMy new xx has broke alreadyā€.

I was sitting around at my friendā€™s house chatting with her, her partner and their neighbor, whoā€™s a cool gal but rather uneducated. The neighbor was talking about something and said, ā€œWell, supposably,ā€¦ā€. Me, and my friends went silent and sort of exchanged looks which the neighbor picked up on and said ā€œWhat? Did I say something weird?ā€

My friend, who really likes her neighbor and is very straightforward but kind, said, ā€œOh, we were just reacting to you saying ā€œsupposablyā€. Itā€™s a great new word you just made up, Jackie- like a cross between supposedly and probably- I like itā€.