There should be a Most Obnoxious Guest of the Year Award

And don’t get me started either. I am terrible. People don’t like going to dinner with me because before I decide what to eat I proofread the menu. :slight_smile:

For me, the ones I read / hear the most are people who say ‘less’ when they mean ‘fewer’ (and vice versa) and it seems to me that at least half the time when people say ‘bring’ they mean ‘take’.

1 Like

Even though I’m highly literate, I used to do that, too, even though if asked, I would have been able to describe the difference. I think I had been saying it since I was a child and no one ever corrected me. Like “Can you bring this to your sister?”

I’ve sometimes found it challenging to explain the difference between English words to native Spanish speakers for some things they only have one word for. In Spanish, the verb "prestar’ is used to mean “to lend” and there is no word for “borrow”. You’d say “Puedes prestarme tu pluma?” for “Can you loan me your pen?” There is no word to say “Can I borrow your pen?”

When I had a house phone and English speakers asked me “Can I borrow your phone?” I’ve said, “You can use it, but you can’t borrow it”. :wink: Because if they actually borrowed it, that would mean they unplugged it and took it elsewhere.

You probably meant “quiet” and “quite”. I have seen so many listing descriptions that say their place is “quite”.

1 Like

And of course, me being English. I see myself as the grammar and spelling nerd now I’m in the USA.

I understand (but don’t fully accept) that there are American colloquialisms and accent differences.

For example the book review I read that said “the story really drug me in…”
Drug? It’s like when people say 'snuck instead of ‘sneaked’. Or that the racing car ‘span’ rather than ‘spun’. (Although I’ve heard a lot of English people say that).

Then there are the erroneous apostrophes and the tautologies - ‘free gift’, ‘RSVP please’…

I’m awful. You’d hate me in real life. :slight_smile:

Nah, I’d thoroughly enjoy b***ing with you for hours over a bottle of wine about the dumbing down of the English language.
“Drug me in” isn’t an American colloquialism- it’s just ignorant, poor English.

As someone born and raised in middle America, with educated US-born parents, from my observation, while there were always pockets of the US where people spoke “hillbilly”, uneducated English, the phenomenon of even mainstream journalists and the general population using terrible grammar and incorrect words is fairly recent.

And the meanings of words are being purposely perverted, too. For instance, right wingers are now referring to the convicted and incarcerated Jan. 6 insurrectionists as “hostages”, when hostage means someone held against their will as a bargaining chip in exchange for money, “don’t shoot me or I’ll kill these hostages”, or some other exchange. It certainly doesn’t apply to prisoners who have been convicted of a crime and sentenced to jail time.

1 Like

I went to public schools in the US and I also taught in them for 27 years. I also went to public university. So in my 66 year of life I was in the public schools k-12 for 39 years and at the college level on and off for 15. I know the difference and corrected it if misused as a teacher.

The reason we see these misuses so much more often now is because we have the internet where anyone can post anything instantaneously; no edits or re-reading before “turning it in” so to speak. I’ve heard all the arguments for how much worse things are now than they used to be on every conceivable topic and I don’t find them persuasive.