The most disgusting thing you encountered as a host

True, part of the experience.

1 Like

I bet your boating friends have high powered binoculars and make your island a regular part of their excursions.

5 Likes

The island on the pathway to the main reef, and though tour boats can’t get closer than 150 yards when passing by because the island is surrounded by its own shallow atoll, however with a pair of binoculars and enough curiosity…

1 Like

…on the picnic table, eh? Well, that’s food for thought!

1 Like

Ouch, the splinters.

3 Likes

I hope that picnic table gets the deep down clean.

Made of very hard wood, I just re-sand and re-paint it. :slight_smile: Just completed the upstairs bar/table/drop-down bed on the sundeck, I bet that will be the new ‘it’ place.

3 Likes

My fantasies are running rampant.

4 Likes

The worst thing for me was blood on the sheets and mattress pad. It was a couple of guys so I half jokingly asked if they had killed a hooker or something. He replied he had hurt his leg somehow and it was still fresh. Gee thanks. Ever hear of bandages, moron?

A cheap camping table that I keep on the porch was missing too. After asking about that, was told they broke it and threw it out. The next day, started finding broken glass after stepping on some in bare feet. “Oh yeah, meant to tell you. We broke a glass.”

I finally asked him to compensate for the damaged items, but he went dark on me. Never again, jackass. This was by far the worst experience in three years of hosting.

2 Likes

Hi @Geoff,

I hope you gave them a bad review!

Unfortunately, no. It was early on in my hosting and I had never had a problem. I got the email to do the review and did it while at work before I went back to the apartment (I use it during the week and rent it on the weekends when I go back home to Atlanta). I could have kicked myself.

Is revising the review if further information has been received not possible, then?

That was at least two years ago. I couldn’t even say which guest it was.

You bet. Oh the possibilities…!

The grossest…Rotting meat left behind the garbage can in the unit, large clumps of hair left in the shower, and blood left behind from one guest that was not only on the sheets under the duvet, but also all over the pillowcases. (Don’t use your imagination on that one.)

1 Like

A “doctor” (or so he said, I searched for him and I think that is another lie) stayed two months, broke a chair, destroyed glassware and ruined sheets and blamed everything on me. He said the chair was an antique, the glassware was old, and the sheets were already ruined (which I know they were not, they were brand new and laundered once). He propped the chair which was practically broken in half, very cleverly up against the corner of the kitchen and did not tell me about it. I had to get new chairs + clean up his mess in a short window of time. He was mad because I didn’t have a washer and dryer, but it didn’t indicate that in the listing. He was literally mean to me. I was appalled by his behavior.

Here’s the GROSS part: After laundering them I fold extra blankets and put them in their original plastic bags. Good thing I decided to use one of them after he left because he had unfolded it once and spewed you-know-what all over it. Then covered the mess and neatly put it back in the closet.

It’s great fun (and gross too of course) to read through this again!

And on a serious note, it got me wondering whether price (or rather, low price) is a factor for grossness. I have a theory that people who are paying more money are somehow more respectful of the place they are staying. I hope that’s the case anyway…

1 Like

This is exactly what I came to whine/whinge about!
How old are some people going to be before they quit wiping boogers on the wall? Do they think I can’t see them on my white walls? Gross, it’s something I expect from a 10 yr old, not 34 year olds!

Dirty baby nappies left in every room of the house.
Three girls who were in “sync” and left a massacre in 3 beds with no effort to clean up after themselves.

I hate hair, I started cleaning hotel rooms when I was 12 and I only disliked it then, now I hate it with a passion, it probably has to do with when I had cancer. The day after
my 2nd round of chemo I woke up to a bed full of my own hair, & it was long, to the small of my back! I called my sister & said if you want 2 be the one to shave my head you have 30 minutes to get here! She lives 22 miles away & she made it. It’s one of my fondest memories, she shaved it so I looked like a fish, then a Mohawk, etc. My mom took pictures & we did it outside on the driveway.
When I went to help a friend a few years later I went with her to her 2nd round of chemo & suggested we go straight to the hair dresser for a buzz cut. She said I don’t think I’m losing mine, ran her hand through her hair & almost threw up, 10 minutes later we were at her hair dresser & she did it for free.

3 Likes