Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

The longer the visit, the worse the review

Has anyone else experienced this? When a guest stays one or two nights, they leave glowing reviews because they are so happy to be there for the night and don’t go poking around in the closets, etc. Guests who stay a week are more likely to become irritated with the little things wrong with the house, and can’t wait to get back to their own beds and away from their families, and they pick apart any minor quirks or issues my house has. All of my worst reviews are from long term (in my case one week or so) guests.

5 Likes

I find it amusing that some hosts consider one week to be “long term”. My average length stay is a week-10 days, my minimum is 3 days.

No difference between them as far as guests being critical.

3 Likes

Around 3 years ago, somebody on this forum posted a link to a study about how people start feeling differently about a place the longer they stay. I can’t find it, but if I recall correctly, it basically said that over 10 days is when guests start feeling more “at home” and more like “they own the place”. They’ll start moving furniture around, they’ll get more nitpicky about stuff.

3 Likes

Oh I hope not. We just got a highly unusual 9 day stay. All my red flags went off for various reasons. I made sure to document everything and also add it all in notes to Air support. Wish us well!!!

3 Likes

I am in a very pricey beach town that people put in their list of places to stop at on a road trip, so we rarely get long visits. Average is 1-2 days.

1 Like

That’s so interesting - I’d love to see the study! People who stay for a week tend to leave me a laundry list of things that need attention or repair. I always appreciate these things being brought to my attention, especially as the guests staying one night rarely mention anything. I think they long for their own house, and do get more irritated and nitpicky about things they aren’t used to, for instance, my shower has to be set in a certain direction to get hot water. It’s an old house and has it’s quirks. You are correct about the moving about of furniture and lamps.

1 Like

So do you view this as useful feedback? That the longer term guest sees who place as it is, and that their suggestions are a wake-up call to you to fix these thingsz/

2 Likes

I absolutely appreciate the feedback. One guest just told me I would probably ruin my pipes with the water pressure so high. I had no idea. Sometimes, with long stays, it seems that they get bored and begin looking for things to nitpick about. So, while I appreciate the feedback, sometimes they go overboard and it annoys me a bit. I don’t like when they stay a week and complain about something that I could have amended easily the first day. For instance, if they needed a new lightbulb, they could have contacted me and I would have replaced it. Instead they stew all week on the missing bulb and don’t give me a chance to bring one by. I have it posted several times that I live close by and can be reached 24/7 to assist with any issues, large or small.

2 Likes

I am in the 1 week is long term crowd!
Guests and fish, they both start to stink after a few days. That and water poured on cat food!

RR

9 Likes

I’m not sure what makes the difference, here. We all seem to have so many different experiences. For example, I so often see disparaging remarks about discount seekers and bargain hunters. I have never had a negative experience with anyone looking for a discount. I have never had a bad experience with a longer booking, either. We’ve had everything from two weeks to three months. All have been gracious and grateful. The type of guest is usually a family with numerous small children, so this might be a factor. They are just happy to find something affordable and pleasant.

2 Likes

Definitely. I am a home share host. I have had nothing but lovely guests who are well-suited to what I offer. I have never had what I would consider a bad guest, never had to contact Airbnb about any issue with a guest, never fretted over reviews, had solid 5* reviews, never had a guest try to scam a refund, none of the awful scenarios that we read about on hosting forums.

Not to say there has never been an issue, but nothing that wasn’t worked out amicably with the guest.

If I had to put up with the kind of guests and scenarios some hosts do, I would find another way to earn money.

2 Likes

You have 2 choices:

1. Put a 2 day maximum stay in your settings and disallow requests for longer than 2 days and refuse any inquiry about a longer stay.

or

1. Do something about your panty lines so that there’s nothing to complain about on day 3. Your listing should be comfortable for a week if you’re accepting reservations for a week. Honestly, even if you’re not.
2 Likes

I haven’t noticed that and have had guests staying regularly for a few weeks and up to a few months @Nearthesea

My panty lines? That’s an odd comment. I was just noticing this, and wanted to see if anyone else did. My house is very comfortable and has all the amenities. Sometimes people look for the odd thing to complain about so I was just seeing if anyone else had this experience with longer term guests. Apparently, I’m not the only one. Good thing most of the visits are short and my guests are thoughtful and kind as a rule.

3 Likes

Haha, I guess it is odd, out of cultural context, not sure why I channeled my great-grandmother while writing the post. :grin:

What I mean is that if it seems like guests who stay for more than a couple of days find some issue with something (you did not say what the complaints were about so I am speaking generally of things that guests might complain about in a review), that those things should be addressed and eliminated.

There shouldn’t be anything in your unit that becomes more obvious, increasingly uncomfortable, less pleasing, difficult to deal with, whatever it is, just because a guest is there long enough to notice it. I think it is ideal to fix or compensate for or at the very least disclose any type of flaw in the unit so that it doesn’t come up and result in a poor review. I don’t know what it is that your guests are experiencing after more than a couple of days that results in them leaving a poor review, but those things should be dealt with.

You will have less trouble if you aim for perfection. It’s not to say that you will achieve it but it is the best direction to aim. Sometimes that is about how you represent your rental, how you prepare your guests for how it is going to be for them in real life. Our house is 120+ years old, so it is not perfect, there are some things that I cannot change, but I strive for perfect for all of the other things that I can.

My guests stay for 2 to 15 nights on average and I also have month-to-month leases in the same furnished apartments with average stays of 3.5 - 6 months and, no, I’ve never had anyone irritated enough with anything that they felt they had to mention it or give me less than 5 stars in a review.

There was one woman who gave me private feedback that she prefers a two-handled mixer on the shower faucet rather than the one handle dial that ours has, lol, but it did not affect our review. She is the only one who has mentioned it so I filed it under, you-can’t-please-everyone.

4 Likes

@muddy do you think the difference is simply that we are there? I have been resisting that conclusion because (I suppose) being of a somewhat scientific type mindset I can’t stand the fact that I have no data or experience with which to make a comparison. I’ve tried to imagine the guests who’ve stayed with us behaving differently if we’d not been on site and I can’t. However, I’m notoriously naive. We have 5 stars and the guests have been deliriously happy. I know, I know, it’s still early in the game. I don’t think I will EVER book a guest and go away without a surefire backup host. Probably my cleaning company, who will charge some sort of percentage.

1 Like

I think you could be on to something. We have 4 apartments in our house and one of them is ours, so we are onsite too. It definitely makes a difference when something happens or a guest needs something, we can take care of it immediately.

It’s also possible that guests feel comfortable asking for what they need or alerting us to an issue since we’re right here. Because, it’s not as if things never go awry or break, they do, but we get kudos for taking care of it so quickly so we still get a great review.

2 Likes

I really don’t know. Definitely the location and nature of my listing, coupled with the type of guests I market towards and get has something to do with it, I’m sure. Down to earth types, most have been seasoned travelers- my place, though nothing fancy, seems luxurious compared to a budget priced hotel room in Delhi, a beach shack in Thailand, or their digs when they were with the peace corps in Cameroon. I don’t get the 5* hotel types, so that isn’t what they would compare me to.

And there’s really nothing for them to “notice” after a week. The guest room and their bathroom are simple, clean lines, there’s no extraneous anything, and I’m a very thorough cleaner. I literally get down on my hands and knees to wash the corners of the floor and baseboards.

The only other spaces they share is the kitchen, which I keep clean, and the outside terrace dining table. So I can’t imagine what they might focus on after a week as opposed to a day. And they come here for a relaxing holiday near the beach- they aren’t wasting their time looking for a stray hair behind a door.

And yes, I think that people who book a home-share, as long as they didn’t just book it because it was cheap, but actually “get” and like that, aren’t the kind of people to try to scam their host or bother them with trivial complaints.

1 Like

Nice use of paragraphs m’dear, gold star on your jotter (Scottish word for school notebook).

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

JF

2 Likes

It’s no problem for me, always had straight A’s in my jotters :wink:

I don’t really notice when others don’t use paragraphs because I am too busy seething and wanting to stab them in the eye :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: for using quotation marks, seemingly randomly, to inappropriately and incorrectly add emphasis.

These folks seem to run in the same circles. But, when you see a lack of paragraphs, I see nothing but tons of quotation marks randomly peppered in, serving absolutely no purpose other than to ruthlessly assault the English language in public.

It’s not compound possession, ambiguous pronouns or even affect vs effect. Those are common mistakes, but using quotation marks on random words for emphasis is just bizarre. :nerd_face:

1 Like
Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!