The guests who you just can't wait for them to LEAVE

I guess as the popularity of airbnb spreads the type of guests will become more diverse. Instead of happy adventures trend-setters we are getting deeper into the general population, more of a cross section with all types and sizes joining the ‘sharing community’

4 Likes

True!
I am on IB, so I checked their reviews after. some hosts stated they ’ settled themselves in nicely’ . To me that’s a host trying to say they took over the place etc. lol

2 Likes

Precisely. I suppose this calls for hosts to now be more ‘specific’ and not assume guests will ‘know better’.

1 Like

There should be a booklet of code terms used in reviews and what the real meanings are :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Absolutely. Really. There must be. Let’s start it.

“Welcome back anytime” is a key phrase for me.

“They were a lively, energetic group” They were a bit loud and rowdy, but not terrible

“Wasn’t a good fit for sharing our home” or “Would be better suited to an entire home”. Don’t rent to this guy if you’re sharing your space

3 Likes

He does not have to understand, just obey the rules is enough. I am used to people not understanding me not eating meat even my father. One person even told me , of course you are better than all the rest of us, meat eaters.hehe.
I am amazed though how many people that inquire are OK with not cooking non veggie meals in the house. It makes me happy to hear, o, i completely understand, i am almost vegeterian, 90-95%.
I just had an inquiry few minutes ago from a guy who wants to stay until November. He read my rules, confirmed that he wont be cooking much and only simple veggie dishes. Agreed to the price without negotiating.
Hope he rents from me. He is what i am looking for: very busy professional, here on a new project. SO, out of the house 6 days a week, yey:)

2 Likes

I bet these people know they be better off in a separate house, but they want to save, and do not care about anything but their budget

I hope it calls for hosts to be honest in their reviews!

Just had a guest. Who was very annoying and inconsiderate,
We got home and he was already inside the house. Didn’t even call or message that he was here.
At that time we had other airbnb guests staying. So the next morning I come out of my room and he is eating food from the fridge that I assume belongs to him because it clearly wasn’t mine. Then he asks " is it OK if I have some of this food?" I tell him that it is not mine and it must belong to the other guest. It made me mad that he just ate it without even asking. Then the next day he asks if the food in the fridge is for all guests. And I don’t want to be rude and said no but he canever go ahead and help himself. Well I didn’t mean that he could finish my entire gallon of milk. Which I had prior me telling him it was ok.
I hate guests like this so inconsiderate

1 Like

@Gandyv8 at some point you have to set boundaries. It isn’t rude to say, no food is provided here. Don’t tell someone to help themselves and then be surprised they helped themselves to a whole gallon of milk. If you find it hard to be firm and you want to provide things then maybe you should buy single servings of milk and put one a day in the refrigerator. Don’t let your happiness/satisfaction as a host be dependent on someone else.

2 Likes

My husband made this mistake too in the begining, when we had 2 20 something guys, over 6 feet tall. He said, help yourself to breakfast items ( then i was offering breakfast) ANd they did…indeed. They ate breakfast all day long. I took breakfast off amenities after them.

First i cant believe your guest even thought for a second that fridge might be stocked with food for guests to eat.
I think he is pretending to be dumb, because i cant believe for a second that he could possible think that.

Second, i dont get it why you told him that he can eat your food. Because he asked? Thats not good reason enough to let him mooch off you.

3 Likes

I didn’t want to be rude, that’s just the way I was raised i guess, but It diffently bothered me more that he had helped himself before I even said it was OK. Otherwise it wouldn’t have been as bad

Post his profile in the bad guest lounge! I don’t want this clod coming to Hawaii next!

I believe disregarding your house rules is grounds for cancellation. I know it’s awkward but I might have offered that right off the bat. Yana has done this and had people straighten up, right?

1 Like

Gandy I am sending you an invite… :smile: these profiles need to be posted in our private lounge. :smile:

1 Like

OMGOSH, he ate another guests food? I’d be livid!

Sunshine and Gandy -

Your recent guests are the jerks who steal other co-workers’ food out of the office fridge!

I would have been so tempted to slap that food right out of the guest’s mouth. People really have some balls. Don’t worry about coming across as rude to these types. They’re used to someone lashing out at them once in a while.

I finally lost my shit once on a roommate who took a slice of processed American cheese. I only bought this cheese to give my dog his pills. And every night he would come home after work and start scrounging and talk about how hungry he was. He was in sales- I figured maybe he wasn’t making much commisison. But it go so ridiculous and annoying - so the night he took my dog’s slice of cheese, I lost it.

1 Like

…but, but, but…you can’t leave on a cliff-hanger! So what happened and what do you mean you lost it?! Did you give him the dogs pills to go with the cheese, or what?

1 Like

I was kind of embarrased to even mention it…but since you asked:

Keep in mind I was in my early twenties and young and stupid (and in light of the squatter thread, and guest not being able to be removed) - I yelled and screamed a lot and told him to get the hell out. I was the only person on the lease and he rented a room from me. He refused to leave so I called the police and they came :joy:

Of course this was my first experience with learning roommates have tenant rights. The cop advised him to stay in his room the rest of the night, and to not say a word to me.

He moved out soon after that…lol.

2 Likes

(whew!) Good thing I checked back on this thread…that was a popcorn-worthy story! I was breathing hard from the tension. Woo-eee, I can’t even imagine going through all that but I’m glad he moved out in due time.

I’ll bet he never eats a Velveeta slice without a flashback.

4 Likes

Yes, i did, but it was for bringing more guests. It was more obvious than eating someone’s food:)
I know i would never let guest eat my food. One lady asked me if she can use my oil. I told her" You know, i am paying money for it, and its not included in room price. ". SO, she offered me money, and added, its just a table spoon. I said, i know its JUST a table spoon, but its my table spoon, and its still costs money.
I like when people using tactics that supposedly will make me look cheap. ANd she is not cheap by trying to avoid buying her own produce!

1 Like