That Second B in AirBNB

Absolutely none. Many years ago I decided that grated, grilled cheese would be marvellous as a topping —but no!

Blasphemy!!! I’m glad you learned your lesson. You can serve a wedge of cheese and jamon on the side :joy:

1 Like

Wqe[quote=“taratree, post:40, topic:7435”]
Not to spoil things for anyone (the recipes all sound delicious) but UNLESS you have a county health department certified
[/quote]
Yes to spoil things, you really have your knickers in a knot. And, you can not speak for every municipality. Local laws are all over the place.

2 Likes

I think at @taratree was just issuing a warning to those who HAVE NOT checked into their local laws. I took it as more of a PSA than a slap on the wrist.

1 Like

In California per the Cottage Food Operations regulations; many of the foods that the posters here are listing are permitted to be sold as long as it’s direct to the public (not sold to a restaurant who will sell it to the public). Also, I’m not really worried about the health department getting involved in Airbnb. If there had been outbreaks of food poisoning from the food served at Airbnb listings; I think it would have made the news. For now; the health department has bigger fish to fry. Here’s a link to a list of food that is approved to be sold without an inspected kitchen. In addition, very few of us charge for the food we serve to our guests so we’re technically not selling food.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/Documents/fdbCFOfoodslist.pdf

Key phrase there IN CALIFORNIA…like @taratree and @Maggieroni local laws are all over the place. Also, I think cities may have there own rules, as there was just a HUGE story in the Bay Area about people selling seats to ‘home cooked’ meals that were fined huge amounts by the Health Department. (I believe that counts as direct to the public)

I was pointing out the law in California and I did not say that it was applicable anywhere else. The people who are selling home cooked meals are not limiting themselves to foods on the list. I have seen some of the reports where they did things like keep raw meat at room temperature for hours.

@EllenN – Good to know…thanks !

I don’t cook anything, due to health department risks. I’m in Washington state. I go to our local “Dutch” bakery get muffins and have them wrap them in syran wrap and add their logo to the top. This not only keeps me in the clear from any health department risk., it also promotes our town. Dutch inspired. Yes we have windmills. Ha ha. Then I add oatmeal, yogurt and juice. Its a private daylight basement , so they are on their own.

Let’s not let this thread devolve into another discussion of “you can:…you can’t” cook for guests. Different places, different rules – follow your local rules.

We’ve already beaten the subject to death elsewhere.

This is supposed to be a place to collect and share recipes.

5 Likes

The second B is for bathroom.

1 Like

Or it could be for bacon. I might get more guests if I offered Bed N Bacon.

Wait, what am I thinking? I’m in Colorado so the second B stands for Blunts!
(for those of you unfamiliar with the term, a blunt is when you take all of the tobacco out of a cigarette, mix half of the tobacco with an equal amount of pot and put it back into the cigarette. The things I learn from my teenager … )

1 Like

A blunt used to be a mostly smoked cigarette or joint that you would only smoke if you were desperate. These kids steal all the good hippie words.

3 Likes

I know that you prefer to not use butter in your guests breakfasts, but you might want to make these for yourself. They are the blueberry muffins from Stella Parks’ Serious Eats column. They are wicked good. She is correct that a bit of coriander is undetectable, but it amps the blueberry flavor. Also, I like blueberries with nutmeg better than blueberries with lemon zest. Warning; they overflowed my muffin tin. Next time; I’ll make 14. I will definitely be including these in the muffins I offer to guests.

Have you tried the Jordan Marsh blueberry muffins? Amazing! I am a bit of a blueberry snob since I spend much of August harvesting those tiny wild blueberries in far northern NH. I would be reluctant to serve those to guests since each pint represents hours of work.

However, that said, the frozen wild blueberries from Maine are surprisingly good.

My butter reluctance is only about cost. Cheap, I know. I had great hopes that restaurant depot, which I have joined now that I have a food related business, would have cheaper butter, but they don’t. Have you tried that recipe with a percentage of whole wheat flour? I bet a bit of our granola as a topping would be almost streusel like. Yum. [Now I am just streaming thoughts.]

Jordan March Blueberry Muffins

Since everyone is just guessing. These two are the closest that I have found. I always reduce the amount of sugar.

No, I haven’t tried the Jordan Marsh blueberry muffins, but if you recommend them I will. I’m jealous that you harvest blueberries. I used frozen wild blueberries. I didn’t try whole wheat flour, but someone asked about it and the author answered that you can use 75% whole wheat flour. Fortunately, I am able to get butter pretty inexpensively at Smart & Final. I get three pounds for about $8.00. I know as one baker to another how much butter we go through.

That is a very good price. Best I can do is Costco. Can’t seem to find a receipt nearby. I will note the price the next time I stock up. They sell it in 4 lb bundles and of course, we buy the unsalted. They also sell some premium butters like Kerrygold and Plegra. I only buy those for the holiday baking.

I checked out the Jordan Marsh recipe. The ingredients and quantities are pretty similar with the exception of coriander and nutmeg and coarse sugar for the topping. I used Stella Parks’ technique of mixing the butter with the dry goods in the stand mixer. The muffins are, as promised, very tender.

I think the big difference is the mixture of pastry flour and bread flour which changes the texture. But of course, you can play with the flour choices with any recipe as long as the weight remains unchanged.