That Second B in AirBNB

Some of us are offering breakfast. I thought I would create a thread to post recipes for items that we offer our guests. I have already posted two, but will move them here as well, so we can have a central location to reference.

For me, I want my guests to enjoy their breakfast in their own space. This means, what I offer can’t be cooked to order, nor can it require being heated. [I am considering placing a toaster oven up there, but for now, I need things that are good at room temperature, or from the fridge.]

It is my preference when traveling that I can enjoy my first cup of coffee before meeting the world or my hosts. So that is the environment reflects this. From a host point of view, it also means that I don’t care when my guests wake up. They take care of themselves, and then I replenish their breakfast “bar” when they are out doing the day.

My final requirement is that breakfast stay in the $5 per guest range which is why I generally don’t make items that require butter.

A fellow forum person asked for another one of my recipes, so that triggered the creation of this thread.

I hope others will post their recipes as well.

Mini Breads and Muffins

INGREDIENTSSubmit

2 cups all-purpose flour ( 8 1/2 oz)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large eggs
2/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts ( roasted )

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 375º
In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and baking powder.
In another bowl or measuring cup, measure the orange juice, add eggs and beat. Add orange juice and whisk again.
stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold in cranberries and pecans.
Spoon into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups (cups will be almost full) or, divide batter into 6 mini loaf pans.

Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.

NOTE: I always double the recipe.

Mini Loaf pans: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/king-arthur-flour-mini-loaf-pan

Windmill House Granola

INGREDIENTS
6 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds [no longer including]
1/2 cup pecans, crushed or cut into small pieces
1/2 cup unsweeted coconut, shredded
1/4 cup raw wheat germ
1 tsp ground cinnamon
dash salt [no longer including]
1/2 cup, plus 3 tbls honey
1/2 cup dried sour cherries, unsweetened, finely chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 300º
Add the oats, pumpkins seeds, and almonds to large sauté pan and cook over medium-low heat, strring occasionally. 5-7 minutes until the aroma is distinct.
Add pecans. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the coconut and wheat germ. Cook for 2 minutes.
Turn off heat and add cinnamon and salt. Stir. Drizzle honey over mixture, folding in until all the honey has been incorporated.
Transfer to a baking sheet [no parchment or oil]
Bake for 20 minutes. Stir. Repeat twice. Sometimes it does need more time. We look for slightly crispy bits around the edges, but not overcooked.
Add the dried fruit, stir, and cool on a rack. Stir some more if it is convenient.

1 Like

EllenN’s metric conversion

Windmill House Granola

INGREDIENTS
6 cups rolled oats (594 grams)
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds (129 grams)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds [no longer including] (79 grams)
1/2 cup pecans, crushed or cut into small pieces (57 grams)
1/2 cup unsweeted coconut, shredded (57 grams)
1/4 cup raw wheat germ (29 grams)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
dash salt [no longer including]
1/2 cup, plus 3 tbls honey (233 grams)
1/2 cup dried sour cherries, unsweetened, finely chopped (71 grams)
1/2 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped (57 grams)

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 300º
Add the oats, pumpkins seeds, and almonds to large sauté pan and cook over medium-low heat, strring occasionally. 5-7 minutes until the aroma is distinct.
Add pecans. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the coconut and wheat germ. Cook for 2 minutes.
Turn off heat and add cinnamon and salt. Stir. Drizzle honey over mixture, folding in until all the honey has been incorporated.
Transfer to a baking sheet [no parchment or oil]
Bake for 20 minutes. Stir. Repeat twice. Sometimes it does need more time. We look for slightly crispy bits around the edges, but not overcooked.
Add the dried fruit, stir, and cool on a rack. Stir some more if it is convenient.

1 Like

RYE-ERIC’S

Originally posted on Breadtopia.com, Eric’s Rye has become my “home” rye bread. This recipe has inspired people to try making a rye bread for quite a few years over there, and every once in a while, an ode to this rye will be posted. Eric has since died, and I remember his generosity on that site every time I eat his bread.

Eric’s NOTES: This is my formula for rye bread in the NY Deli style. The crust is soft after it cools and will slice better the next day. If you need bread that will stand a few days, this mix is good for mailing across the country. Sealed in a plastic bag after cooling, this rye will be great 4-5 days later and freezes very well.

INGREDIENTS

starter*:
100 grams pumpernickel flour
100 grams water
1/4 tsp yeast
2T vinegar

Sponge:
100g Active Rye starter*
275g Medium Rye**
275g water

Dough:
All the sponge
484g water SEE NOTE BELOW
788g First Clear flour***
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon instant yeast
22g Sea Salt
20g Caraway seeds

INSTRUCTIONS

Starter:
If you don’t have a rye starter, mix these ingredients together and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours.

Sponge:
Mix and set at room temp overnight. (If this stage will longer than 8 hours I suggest refrigerating after 3 hours and warming to room temp before proceeding)

Final Dough:
Mix, rest for 20-30 minutes, knead by machine or by hand for 8-10 minutes or stretch and fold several times. It is important to have well developed gluten. Do enough stretches to feel the gluten chains forming. Otherwise you may have trouble getting a good rise.

Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and ferment till double, about 1 hour or so at warm (80 F) temp. Be sure you get double.

For loaves, divide and shape into 2-2lb loaves, final proof for 45 minutes. For rolls, make boules of 2.5 - 3 oz. Cover lightly with either a wet dishcloth or an oiled piece of plastic film.

Bake @370 for 30-40 Minutes. (I steam for the first 10 minutes) I’m looking for 190-200º F internal temperature.

SMTUCKER’S NOTES:

• After using half of this starter for your first breads, you can feed it using 100-120% hydration. Mine is now about 2 years old and the flavor only improves. I only use pumpernickel for the starter

** I vary between using King Arthur’s Perfect Flour and a fairly coarsely milled medium rye.

*** Clear Flour is hard to find and very expensive, so I generally use a combination of clear flour and high gluten flour. Lately, I have been using the perfect rye for about 15% of the weight, and then 50/50 for the other two flours. Bread flour has not been successful, resulting in a bread that has no rise.

**** Lately, I am experimenting with adding barley malt syrup and/or Diastatic Malt powder

***** This bread freezes extremely well. Wrap in plastic wrap and then place in a zipped bag. To defrost, pull loaf or roll out of the bag, but leave in plastic wrap until thawed.

ERIC’s NOTE:
I have been re hydrating dry onions in all of the water for the dough, and using that water in the mix. If you want Onion Rye, use the onions also in the dough mix. It is wonderful!

Measure the water in a microwave proof bowl and boil it. Add 1/4 Cup dry onions, mix around and let cool. Make the dough with this water.

Thank you for starting this post. Sharing recipes is so much fun. I always have a few different types of muffins and buns in the freezer for the guests to enjoy. I make my own jam, but I also have single serving Bonne Maman jams and Nutella for guests who are squeamish about things other people have touched. I buy them at Bed Bath & Beyond (which now contains a World Market) with the 20% off coupons. It drives the checkers bonkers to see me take out 10 coupons for 10 tiny jams. If you want to make your own jam and you shop at the farmers market (green market for you East Coasters); often the farmers will give you bruised and/or overripe fruit for a discount or free.

I always have the Blue Sky Bran muffins from Smitten Kitchen on hand with whatever fruit is in season.

For people who want a more decadent muffin; I always have Perfect Corn Muffins from Smitten Kitchen.

Recently, I made Nancy Silverton’s bran muffins for the first time. I really liked them, so I’ll keep making them.

I always have English muffins.

http://ruhlman.com/2010/12/english-muffins-recipe/

I always have milk rolls.

This is our daily bread which I bake often, so there’s usually some around. Sorry for the unfortunate name of the blog.

I also make whatever muffin recipes inspire me according to the fruit that is in season.

I make my own yogurt which cuts down the cost considerably. Here’s the recipe.

Yogurt Recipe

You can use milk with any fat percentage you like (whole milk, low fat, nonfat, even ½ and ½ or cream if you’re feeling decadent). Leave two quarts of milk out until it is at or near room temperature. If you heat cold milk it burns to the pot and requires lots of scrubbing. Heat the milk to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Let it cool to between 120 degrees Fahrenheit and 110 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don’t let the milk cool; the heat will kill the culture. Stir in from two teaspoons to ¼ cup of plain yogurt with live cultures to the cooled milk. The more yogurt you add the tarter your yogurt will be. Once you have your own yogurt you can use it as a culture. Place the cultured milk somewhere that is about 110 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a commercial oven so my oven is hot enough with the pilot light on. If your oven isn’t hot enough you can wrap the cultured milk container with a heating pad and put it in a larger container like a bucket. In anywhere from eight to fourteen hours you will have yogurt. If the milk hasn’t thickened into yogurt in fourteen hours; just stir in some more yogurt and check it every few hours. If your yogurt is as thick as you like put it in the refrigerator. If you prefer it thicker, put a strainer over a mixing bowl, line the strainer with a flour sack towel and strain it until it is as thick as you like. I give the resulting whey to my dog.

Now, I can’t live without your delicious granola. I love how caramelized the nuts and grains get from such long cooking and how crunchy it stays. I sure do appreciate you sharing the recipe.

1 Like

For single serving bon maman, may I suggest https://www.englishteastore.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=bon+maman . This is the best price that I have found. To get the free shipping, I had to order two 60 unit orders [orange marmalade & strawberry], but since I am in this for the long haul, I don’t mind having some inventory.

I have made a vegan muffin, and in the near future I will make a lactose-free and gluten-free version. I know that @EllenN doesn’t choose to accommodate special diets, but for me, it is a challenge that I like to meet!

Now, to investigate all those wonderful link. I know that English muffins are not in my future since they really need to be toasted, but the others? very interesting.

I use the whey as a substitute for water in bread recipes. No dog. :frowning:

I’ve costed out all of my extensive breakfast offerings, and the most expensive one runs me $4.13 for two people. That’s full retail cost.

Check out my weekly food blog Fooding Around With The Kilted Cook
http://foodingaround-kiltedcook.blogspot.com/ Something new every week.

Here’s the recipe for my newest offering. This makes breakfast for two, especially if you include a couple slices of toast and some inexpensive homemade marmalade (see below). Can be made the day before and refrigerated, then microwaved for a minute or so before serving. Or serve a slice as a breakfast sandwich on a nice crusty roll.

Tortilla Española

Also known as Tortilla de patata. Has nothing to do with those thin skillet-bread things from Mexico. This classic Spanish dish can be breakfast, brunch, dinner, or even a sandwich on nice crusty bread.

This recipe is for an individual tortilla in a skillet 8’-9” in diameter. Double the ingredients (or more) for a larger (12” skillet) tortilla

2 Eggs, beaten
1 Potato (red or gold) sliced 3/8” thick (skin on) to cover the bottom on the skillet
1/4 cup diced Red Onion
Salt & Pepper to taste

Beat the eggs and add to them the diced onion.

Lay the potato slices on a plate and pre-cook them for 3 minutes or so in the microwave util they’re getting just a bit soft. Heat an Oven Proof skillet to medium-high and add a splash of EVOO. Fry the potatoes on one side until nicely browned. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Turn your broiler on High. Turn the potato slices over. Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and let it cook, undisturbed, for a minute or two while the broiler heats up. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.

Slide the skillet (top shelf) under your broiler for a minute or three until the surface of the eggs starts to brown and is nice and puffy. Serve hot or cold, with a splash of salsa.

Homemade Marmalade

This is a 10 minute recipe that makes marmalade like you can’t buy in the store. The below makes about a pint of marmalade. So does a nice sized grapefruit. The recipe works with ANY citrus fruit and is so much cheaper than buying that stuff.

1 Orange (navel preferably)
1 Lime
1 Lemon
Granulated Sugar

Chop the fruit into thumb sized pieces – skin, pith seeds, the whole thing. Place in a blender or food processor and take for a spin until it sorta looks like marmalade – small bits of skin in the coarse puree.

Measure the puree into a microwave safe glass bowl. To the bowl add the same measure of granulated sugar – white, brown, demerara, piloncillo, whatever-- cup for cup of the fruit.

Stir to combine the sugar and fruit. Taste. Too sweet? Add some more pureed lemon. Too tart? Add a bit more sugar.

Microwave the sugared fruit for 10 minutes on HIGH. At the 5 minute mark, stir and taste once more; then finish to 10 minutes.

Ladle into Mason Jars or other screw top jars (wash in the dishwasher first to sterilize. Allow the marmalade to come to room temperature before putting on the lids. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.

2 Likes

As much as I LOVE Ruhlman, I actually prefer these English muffins: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/english-muffins-recipe.html

Thanks very much for this link. The prices are pretty close to Bed Bath & Beyond with the 20% coupon, but this website has much better flavors. Fig jam, Morello cherry, etc.

@KenH we typically use yellow/white onion for this in Spain. Very typical for the leftovers to become a sandwich with Fuet or Jamon. One of my fav, comforts food, kudos for making it!!

1 Like

That’s funny, because I think Michael Ruhlman is irritating the way he scolds people who don’t like to cook. I’ve been very successful with his recipes, however.

I love Alton Brown. Good Eats is by a light year my favorite cooking show. I’ll try his English muffins based on your recommendation. I’ve avoided them previously, because I don’t use shortening. Since you like them, I might have to make an exception this once.

Hmmmm… the shortening is new! It wasn’t there before. Tomorrow, I will look for the recipe that I actually use.

@azreala – my Lady’s father retired to Spain - a finca 'way outside Figueres - over 30 years ago and passed away there about 3 years back. I learned the Tortilla de Patata from her and her Dad. I use whatever onion I have on hand, but I do like the taste of red onion here.

It’s hard to get real Jamon here in the States, but I use Country Ham. We have nothing but crap sausage in America, mostly. I love Fuet and Butifarra and Catalonian country sausage and all the good sausages throughout Europe.

Do you - by any chance - have a recipe for making Salsa Aperitivo – the salsa made by Dani and Hacendado and sold in small bottles? It’s expensive to buy there and ship here, and I’m running out of the stash I had gotten a couple years back. It’s basically vinegar and paprika but there are “especias” that I haven’t a clue about…

Whoops… Turns out this is the English muffin recipe I have marked as our “regular”: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/breakfast-sandwich-muffins-recipe

I actually discussed this with Ruhlman back in 2010, and though the two recipes are almost identical, he adds the baking powder to get larger nooks.

Alton Brown’s version used to suggest vegetable oil [flavorless] ; no shortening. I would still use this version for a vegan muffin since it contains no egg or butter and would substitute almond milk for dairy milk.

1 Like

I’m sorry I don’t know how to make it. It’s something we typically buy. However, @Malagachica (i believe) is currently in Spain and may have some ideas on how to get you some! I would be more than happy to try and send you some when I’m back in September. Just remind me.

Edit: I’m assuming you want the Dani’s brand. I see lots of these kinds of salsa at Mexican markets here in California, but I think they will be different.

I’m not sure what Country Ham is, sorry! Here is the link to importers of GOOD jamon into the US https://www.tienda.com/products/bone-in-paleta-iberico-de-bellota-5j-cinco-jotas-jm-109.html We have ordered the 5j (what we typically get in Spain) and it was great. The difference is the FDA won’t allow import with the hoof on, so if you get a leg, it will be without a hoof. I believe they have Fuet and Butifarra as well. They also make smaller packages, we only order if we are hosting a party, so I only know about the entire leg.

@KenH @azreala Hacendado is the brand name for Mercadona products. I go there most days so will look for Salsa Aperitivo …

As to jamón, I’m definitely not the best person to ask - I’ve never understood the jamón worship here, and my son and I describe it as “thinly sliced shoe leather”!

1 Like

I absolutely worship to the Jamon gods and always bring lots back to the US. We are a typical Catalan household with a leg of jamon always on the carving block.

Is this what your kitchen looks like? I was fascinated by the amount of Jamon everywhere in Spain. I must have looked like a silly American tourist taking pictures of it everywhere…

I would send the pics to my American friend to drool over (she loves ham). And I loved the Spanish tortilla!