Terrorist Attack…. How to Help Renters!?

I would guess a lot of Americans not living abroad or having a strong connection to Europe, did not know about the attacks, most of my US based friends even today had no clue. There is a lot of other issues dominating the US news currently, so I get an attack on city 8000 miles away, may not be the top priority. While the Barca attacks were still the main story on BBC/SKY I flipped to CNN (US feed) and they were back to talking about Trump. However, if someone emailed me saying 'I wanted to check in given the ongoing situation here" I probably would have at least Googled.

No, because I did lose my cool as well. Not anywhere near as ridiculous as her (IMHO), after she said the attacks ruined her holiday, I may have made a few snark-a-rific comments

I think DH might be correct. Unfortunately, trying to figure out how it affects oneself appears to be the knee jerk reaction to natural and human made disasters. Many people contact the people they know after a disaster to make sure that they are safe; then they express relief that nobody they know was directly affected. I assume that this is just human nature and that they don’t really mean that it’s okay for people to be injured and/or killed as long as it’s not anybody they know. In the U.S. after September 11 there were many people who said, "If we don’t (fill in the mundane activity) the terrorists have won. Giving your guest the benefit of the doubt, maybe she is more tone deaf than evil.

I don’t agree. Although terrorists pervert religion to gain power, they use the tenets of their religion. Consider the Crusades and forced conversions in the past and current day anti-abortion and anti-gay activists now. I believe that it’s not only acceptable, but a good thing to constantly remind people of all beliefs that they have no right to force their beliefs on others.

3 Likes

Mmh. Nobody said she was evil? Just an ignorant and selfish person. I don’t see the harm in her having a little life lesson on how her (self-imposed) tone-deafness impacts on others. And yes, before you say it, she didn’t learn anything judging by her response to azreala. Doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be told, though. If we all ignore and excuse bad behaviour, then we’ll end up in a pretty bad place.

3 Likes

What a surprise. You disagree with me and you just adore scolding me.

Yes true, most of us decent people would have made an effort to find out what was going AND not been so bloody insensitive in our attitudes.
I’m not excusing her, really.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s appropriate to indulge in petty squabbles on this thread, do you? I have no wish to “scold” you.

2 Likes

@Gardenhost I know you are not! Thanks for you support

@EllenN I agree I over reacted, I have very clearly documented that above, and know I should have tried to remain more level headed. However, the guests completely ignorant and tone deaf responses to me just set me off, if I called her evil, it was in jest and I really do not believe she is the spawn of satan. I’m not sure you read above (no worries if you didn’t) She had NO CLUE about the attacks before I told her, then she made a series of flip comments, starting with the attack are ‘no big deal’ and later in the evening about not wanting to go to a somber city on holiday, and that the mourning of the city would ruin their holiday.

I completely understand and respect what you are saying, and I agree she is tone dead and will add self centered :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, Azreala, you are to stop RIGHT NOW feeling any guilt that you over-reacted, weren’t level-headed, blah, blah, blah … your beloved second home was viciously attacked, you are grieving, if only at a distance. Part of that grief was to react to someone’s insensitivity (to put it kindly) in a completely normal way.

Oddly enough I often react to attacks on places I love by wanting to be there - I’m desperate to go back to Egypt, where we lived for 4 years, now that tourism seems to have wound down there. We feel a solidarity with places we have lived and loved, and an attack seems personal somehow.

Barcelona, in fact the whole of Spain, is incredibly resistant (I think of the horrors of the Civil War not so long ago) and people have a spirit that knows what is important: family, friends, companionship, enjoying life - that will carry on no matter how many sad, benighted people try to attack it.

3 Likes

Una canción para tí @azreala,

con mucho amor.

Thank You!!! :kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

de nada!

I take it you know enough Spanish to get what the song says?

1 Like

Si.

Plus, there is always Google if I didn’t :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

What tenets of Muslim religion say it’s acceptable to carry out murderous terrorist attacks @EllenN?

If you read the Koran Mulims aren’t allowed to force their beliefs on others (unlike Christians) nor can Jihads be used to inflict violence on others, unless as an authorised act as war.

http://islamicsupremecouncil.org/understanding-islam/legal-rulings/5-jihad-a-misunderstood-concept-from-islam.html?start=9

It make me sad that in defending one group, another group is misrepresented.

Just like we shouldn’t label all Muslims as radicals, please don’t accuse all Christians of forcing their religion on others.

Some Muslims are Jihadists even without a “declaration of war” (a tiny percentage that gets maximum press coverage), some Christians are intent on shoving their beliefs at others (although in modern times Christians rarely murder people for being of a different faith)

2 Likes

@Terryathome

Nowhere did I state ALL Christians force their religion on others. I stated Christians are allowed to (indeed some types of Christianity positively encourage) converting others of differing faiths.

Unfortunately Christians have murdered others in modern times because they are of a different faith. For example over 100,00 Muslims were the victims of a mass genocide during the recent Bosnian and Croation wars.

Just because the so called Muslim terrorists called themselves Jihadists doesn’t make them so.

Any more than the right wing US terrorist who murdered a young civil right activist and injured others in Charlotsville last week has any right to say they are doing this in the name of Christanity.

2 Likes