Terrorist Attack…. How to Help Renters!?

Hi All,

Anyone know how I should be dealing with my current renters and my renters checking in tomorrow?? During the Paris attack we were ABB guests, so I have never dealt with this being a host. I’m not sure what I should do for my renters. Any ideas?

Ask them if they are fine and if it’s anything you can do to help them

1 Like

If by the question it’s implied that the current guests cannot leave Barcelona tomorrow, maybe look for other Airbnb hosts in town you know or can more easily reach out to who currently have empty places to move your current guests to?

1 Like

Thanks I already did that :slight_smile:

My guess is they are currently locked down, not in the flat, because it happened mid day.

I’m more concerned with the reservation or tomorrow, as I’m not sure the current guests will be able to leave tomorrow given the city is still in current lock down situation due to an ‘active shooter’ still at large.

1 Like

I’m not sure they will be even to get in…. They are American and when I reached out they had no clue

I can’t think of an answer at the moment, Az, but just to say how awful I feel and how sorry I am … we have perhaps felt a bit too safe here in Spain, and indeed I think that’s one of the reasons our tourist numbers have been rising, as people have seen us as reasonably safe compared to other holiday countries.

But the Ramblas … EVERYONE goes there, don’t they?

The only good thing to say (from your guests’ view), is that there will certainly be an increase in security and though it may restrict where they can go a bit, they should be safer. We don’t know, of course, but these car and van attacks seem often to be one or two people acting on their own and it is rare that another attack happens in the same place …

Do you have a manager there or neighbours you can contact who will reassure your guests? I’m rather far away, but if they need help with Spanish (not Catalan, I’m afraid) pm me and I’ll send you my phone number.

Thinking of you and your guests
xGed

3 Likes

I agree we have felt way to safe, thinking terrorist won’t bother us.

Las Ramblas is very touristic, not many locals, and because of the time of year most locals are on Holidays. All our friends/family are out of the city accept our property manager, who is safe. My current guests are stuck in Stiges, and the ones checking in tomorrow ‘Didn’t know the terrorist attack would effect our stay’. This will be a fun 24 hours.

Thank you Ged, you are a god send.

1 Like

My heart goes out to you, we’re in NYC so this is an ever present problem. I guess I’d do nothing and see how it goes I’m pretty sure Airbnb will take a position. Maybe call Airbnb? :heart:

4 Likes

Yes, we have received a very generic email from Air BNB. I guess the only thing we can do is wait and see.

2 Likes

@azreala
Just don’t over stress yourself. I’m glued to the tv here in nyc and crying. Just stay in touch here. We all love you. I’m sure I’m ok with speaking for others on the forum. Hugs

8 Likes

Just wanted to comment to send you support and echo sentiments already said, try not to worry what is beyond your control. Hugs.

4 Likes

Azreala,
We are thinking of you, and we send all who have been caught in this tragedy
solace,
courage,
and hope,
From Canada.

3 Likes

Thanks All! We are working through it! AirBNB phone line are DEAD of course, so we are just waiting and seeing. Renters checkin in tomorrow, still think this is No Big Deal….

My heart is broken, and I we are all just trying to get through the next few days

2 Likes

Sending love and support from Scotland too. The only thing I can think of, in terms of advice, is to play it by ear and don’t allow incoming guests to rattle you. I say this because I remember reading some jaw-dropping comments on the old community groups from people attending the Airbnb Open in Paris in 2015. Complaining that things were cancelled, that their stay was ruined etc etc. It was bizarre. Some people have no sense of…I dunno…humanity?? So try to keep your cool if that happens xx

4 Likes

We were in Paris, for the open, and were shocked the things people were complaining about on the Open message board. Sadly, most were from the USA. I think Americans don’t actually understand how badly these things are, and how the affect the city/people/resources/etc unless they are directly effected. I am American so don’t hate me!

Given that the police are now reporting an explosion in the city center, I think I’m just going to cancel the people coming tomorrow. This is to try and coordinate

1 Like

No, that’s not a good idea surely? Wait and see how things pan out?

4 Likes

@azreala
I know you might feel helpless right now as I did on 911 and you just want to do something but I think you might find hosting visitors better than canceling. Just wait and see how it goes. :heart:️:heart:️:heart:️:heart:️

4 Likes

Yes, Maggieroni is right. Come on here and go nuts if guests are being difficult.

3 Likes

Take care, maybe helping your guests will help you a bit.

3 Likes

I may have lost my mind on the guests checking in today.They (of course) ended up cancelling via ABB, which is FINE. However, they sent me a message saying the terrorist attack would put a damper on their holiday even though it ‘should be safe’. I lost my cool, don’t do as I do, but man it felt good to put this ignorant woman in her place.

2 Likes